Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on the CA website yesterday and saw a very curious poll. They asked whether or not your local shop allowed cigar smoking in the humi. That really wilded me out because I would hope that no one would be allowed to smoke in the in sanctum. Does anyone out go to a shop where smoking is allowed in the walk-in and do you do it? What is your feeling about it?

Grinch OUT!!!

·
Enjoying life...
4,742 Posts
My favorite cigar shop is Holts in Center City Philly. It is one giant humidor and all the sales staff are contentedly puffing away. They also have a room in the back with chairs and coffee if you want to smoke.

I don't think the smoke would affect the cigars.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Hmmm good question here. I have seen people smoke in the walk in humidors....I don't know if it has any effect on the stogies themselves. I would never do it, doesn't mean it can't or shouldn't be done.

·
Registered
691 Posts
There are 3 local shops I visit and they all have people smoking in them all the time. There has never been any indication that this would be frowned upon however I am to new to comment if this is some how bad for the resting sticks.

·
Registered
806 Posts
One of the shops that I frequent, and also one of my favorites have all there cigars out in the open. I mean when you walk in its just one big room with the cigars along the back wall. Smoking is allowed anywhere in the shop. I just love going in there with everything around you. Kind of like one big humi.
Here's a link and you can see what I mean......
http://www.martyscigar.com/

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
MocoBird said:
One of the shops that I frequent, and also one of my favorites have all there cigars out in the open. I mean when you walk in its just one big room with the cigars along the back wall. Smoking is allowed anywhere in the shop. I just love going in there with everything around you. Kind of like one big humi.
cool looking shop

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
MocoBird said:
You´re one lucky fella!! :w

·
Registered
882 Posts
I would have thought that this would be a big no no. The smell of stale cigars isn't the most pleasent smell in the world. Even with ventalation replacing the air the smell is still there. So wouldn't the unlit cigars sitting there absorbing this odor. To me it is like putting cloves of garlic in your humi. YOu don't do that because the cigars would absorb the odor. So isn't why wouldn't the odor of the smoke be absorbed by the cigars awating there demise? Just my $.02 Besides it is cruel and unusual punishment, making those poor little smokes laying there watching their distent releative roasted alive :D

·
Registered
806 Posts
MM2(SW)S said:
I would have thought that this would be a big no no. The smell of stale cigars isn't the most pleasent smell in the world. Even with ventalation replacing the air the smell is still there. So wouldn't the unlit cigars sitting there absorbing this odor. To me it is like putting cloves of garlic in your humi. YOu don't do that because the cigars would absorb the odor. So isn't why wouldn't the odor of the smoke be absorbed by the cigars awating there demise? Just my $.02 Besides it is cruel and unusual punishment, making those poor little smokes laying there watching their distent releative roasted alive :D
Honestly, I have purchased everything from singles to bundles to boxes from them and have never had a problem. I bring them home and stuff them in a humi somewhere and when I go back to it later and open the humi I don't smell anything other then what I should. No foul cigar odor.

MM2(SW)S said:
making those poor little smokes laying there watching their distent releative roasted alive :D
Fear brings out the best in one. Even cigar's!!

·
Registered
882 Posts
MocoBird said:
Honestly, I have purchased everything from singles to bundles to boxes from them and have never had a problem. I bring them home and stuff them in a humi somewhere and when I go back to it later and open the humi I don't smell anything other then what I should. No foul cigar odor.

Fear brings out the best in one. Even cigar's!!
Interesting, out of curiosity, why do you think the cigars would absorbe the smell of most pungent odors but not the arroma of stale cigars? Maybe it has something to do with ventalation?

·
Registered
806 Posts
MM2(SW)S said:
Interesting, out of curiosity, why do you think the cigars would absorbe the smell of most pungent odors but not the arroma of stale cigars? Maybe it has something to do with ventalation?
I have no idea. It does have a ventilation unit. I have been in there when there are 30-50 people in there at one time. He throws some pretty cool events down there and have never noticed a problem. Maybe they don't absorb their own smell. Kind of like other peoples farts smell worst then mine....to me of course. :r

·
Registered
207 Posts
In only one of my shops do I regularly see people (usually staff) smoking in the humidor. I have noticed that cigars from that partiular shop leave a stale smoke smell in my humidors, but it does NOT effect the taste when smoking. Go figure. I actually have a separate tuperdor for cigars from that shop(because I buy a lot there) because I noticed the smoke smell on other cigars...and I like to smell my cigars.

bd

·
Registered
53 Posts
The HUMI police should come and take you away AND GIVE YOU A BEATIN.
There is one exception. JR cigars NJ stores humidor is large at least 250' x 150' and 2 stories high and smoking is allowed.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
IHT said:
no, the local ones i've gone to do not.
I thought that Outlaw did allow it, I swear I've seen one of the guys working there walk into the humidor with a lit stogie. But I've been wrong before, won't be the last time. :D

·
Registered
806 Posts
LOKI said:
The HUMI police should come and take you away AND GIVE YOU A BEATIN.
There is one exception. JR cigars NJ stores humidor is large at least 250' x 150' and 2 stories high and smoking is allowed.
Understand that this is not your standard 10 x 10 walk in humidor that's in the back of the shop that I'm talking about smoking in. This is the whole shop that my quess would be over a 1000 sq ft with high ceilings with ventilation and 99 percent of the time maybe 1-2 people are smoking cigars in there.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I've smoked cigars for a number of years and this has never really been an issue for me. Out of courtesy, I make it a practice of not smoking in a humidor, but I don't have any problem with the staff smoking in their own.
I'm sure if you regularly crammed a ton of people in a humidor and had a Grand Smoke Out, there would be some cause for concern. However, in a real world scenario, I'd put this one down in the Madagascar Vanilla category (IMHO). Sometimes a smoke is just a smoke.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I frequent about 5 shopes and 3 I have seen guys smoking in 3 of them. But usually it is just the guy working the shop.

·
Funky Monkey
1,067 Posts
Ive in 4 or 5 different stores and all of them had "NO smoking in the HUmidor" signs. 3 of them had small lounges to smoke in but not inthe humi

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.