Cigar Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may already have done this, but I've only been smoking since about April, so I was pretty excited about this...

I've tried smoking flakes without rubbing them out, and it always seems more difficult to me. I hear of the benefits -- burns slower, smokes cooler, etc., but to me, it's harder to get a log going than it is tinder.

I heard about cube cut, which seemed to me a compromise between rubbing a flake out and smoking the flake itself, but whenever I tried cutting it with a knife, it just ended up a disastrous mess, even with a very sharp knife.

So, yesterday, a simple idea occurred to me: Scissors! I took a dried out Orlik Golden Sliced flake, used a plain old pair of scissors, and cut it along the width of flake. Each cut was only about a millimeter or two, and as I cut, the flake literally fell into cubes. I smoked it on the way home, and it was great! When I got home, I did the same thing to un-dried out FVF. It didn't fall into cubes, but I continued cutting anyway. At the end, I simply took the tiny strips, rubbed them gently, and lo and behold, they fell into cubes.

I thought those in my boat of experience might appreciate this, and I'm going to test this with every flake I have to see how it turns out. It was surprisingly easy and clean.

· Registered
878 Posts
How would you compare the rub out version to the cubed version... as in the burning in the pipe? What are the differences that you experienced? Was it just the burn or did the flavor change (amount)?

· Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How would you compare the rub out version to the cubed version... as in the burning in the pipe? What are the differences that you experienced? Was it just the burn or did the flavor change (amount)?
I feel like I'd need to test more, but for now I can say that the flavor was close to the rubbed out version (which I like more than flake). I can also say that it was definitely cooler smoking than the rubbed out. The largest difference was how it packed and how it burned. I couldn't actually "pack" it per se. Analogy: Rubbed out : Snow :: Cube cut : Ice cubes. (Can't really pack ice cubes.) But since it couldn't be packed, the air flow/distribution was uniform throughout the whole bowl due to air gaps between all the cubes, at least in the unburned portions. It was pretty nice that way, and it kept it burning easily with that airflow, as well as (I'm assuming) contributing to keeping it cooler.

· Deviant Gentleman
551 Posts
I was having a little trouble envisioning what you were describing until I googled cube cut. I now understand that you would cut across the grain of the flake, in lengths of a few millimeters, cutting the strip of flake down into little rectangular pieces?
This sounds like an interesting cut and I look forward to seeing how it smokes. I usually ascribe to the "fold n' stuff" and "musketball" techniques, as I heard them described here.
Now to clean a pair of scissors...

· Dastardly Scoundrel
1,267 Posts
Sorry for being a Debbie Downer, but this sounds like a PITA. Now you have to have a pair of scissors with you to enjoy a flake?

I think that most of the difficulties you are experiencing with flakes is that they are too wet to smoke. If you first dry out your flakes a bit, you can give it a quick rub to break-apart the compressed tobacco and then stuff for a easy smoke.

· Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
By that reasoning, don't you have to have some sort of tool on you to prepare a plug for smoking?

I don't have to have one with me if I prepare it all ahead of time. Besides, cube cut isn't new. I'm just saying this is a way I've found to prepare it a lot easier. And it smokes different than flake or rubbed out. It's really not a pain.

· Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
By that reasoning, don't you have to have some sort of tool on you to prepare a plug for smoking?

I don't have to have one with me if I prepare it all ahead of time. Besides, cube cut isn't new. I'm just saying this is a way I've found to prepare it a lot easier. And it smokes different than flake or rubbed out. It's really not a pain.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.