Cigar Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few questions regarding the production of habanos. Do they get 2 crops a year ? The boxes you buy with feb 04 codes, was that grown in '03, if so why do they not age their stock? (is it due to demand?) How many years of ageing does it take for an average habano to really hit its prime?

Thanks

joe

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
mr.c said:
I have a few questions regarding the production of habanos. Do they get 2 crops a year ? The boxes you buy with feb 04 codes, was that grown in '03, if so why do they not age their stock? (is it due to demand?) How many years of ageing does it take for an average habano to really hit its prime?

Thanks

joe
My understanding is that there is one crop per year with the land being prepared from June to August, the seedlings grown from September to November, the plants grown into December with final harvesting completed by early March. Cigars being the cash crop that they are typically are aged about as long as we age our florida oranges prior to shipping. As to aging our fabled sticks, that is a measure of personal preferance and the personality of the cigars that you are smoking. Some cigars peak early, some peak late and some never peak. Then to make matters even more complex, some LLG's love their sticks young and robust and others enjoy them more after they have had time to settle a little.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
18 Posts
For a rather simplified answer to you: The different leaves a actually matured for different lengths of time. For Habanos cigars, the Ligeros are some times matured 2-3 years before being used for cigars, Volados and Capotes shorter time, typically 6-12 months.

Planting out starts in October, and the leaves are ready to pick after 45-50 days.

Hope this helps...

/René

1 - 3 of 3 Posts