Cigar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
DymOnamic
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only smoking cigars for a year. In this year I have purchased a few humidors and several boxes and singles. I went to cAs Big Smoke last year in Vegas, only 1 of the 30 freebies they handed out I liked. That one I had already purchased a few boxes of, so no big deal. The rest I found to be kinda not my cup of tea.

I started searching on the net after that to find some other sort of info on cigars. I found Top25 and this great forum. Since then, I have ramped up the quality of cigars I smoke and my palate has reached heights I never would have realized, w/o the generous sharing of knowledge and actual gifts from some great apes.

So after 1 year (this I know will change) I have now found a cigar that the others are either better than or worse, this is my criteria cigar. Not my all time favorite, but a go to stogie that doesn't break the bank. Mine is currently a non-isom. The CAO Brazilia. I like the Brazilias, they have been a good performer for me in the past year, and they have a med. to full strength, with flavor being more dynamic depending on size and age. All the Cubans but one I've tried have been better, but then, they better be! They have a risk/ cost factor that currently keeps them from my standard. (this will soon change, just got a feeling!) :w

I pose a question to others on this site, what is your go to or standard cigar?

Is it isom, non-isom, one of both?

How many years has that particular cigar been your standard?

Or is your taste constantly changing like mine.

Lots of questions, I know, Thanks for answering if ya got the time. I can kind of peek into the future by your answers! :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
:u :u My "go to" cigar is the La Gloria Cubana Wavell Maduro. I have liked them from the first time I tried them. Medium to full bodied. I like to age them for a year for best results.

My tastes are constantly changing. I gravitated towards stronger smokes for a couple of years and now I find I enjoy something on the mild side occasionally such a Don Diego or (Dominican) Montecristo.

My tastes have become more "expensive" lately. I don't like the Consuegras, Alts, and such anymore. :u

·
Registered
67 Posts
Mine is either a CAO Brazilia Gol or a Punch Pita. Neither is very expensive (important factor!!) and both taste great and quite enjoyable. Just my two cents! Ya'll take care!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Mine is La Gloria Cubana Wavell in Natural. I'm a kind of Yo-Yo guy going back and forth between Cuban and Non, strong and mild, large and small, expensive and cheap. In any period Wavell Natural gets along with my taste and makes me happy. It's like the air for me. Price is good, too.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Siglo V one fine smoke

·
Registered
718 Posts
In no particular order, my go to cigars are:
La Gloria Cubana Wavell (maduro)
El Rey del Mundo Robusto Larga
Puros Indios #4 Especial (maduro)

·
Registered
21,744 Posts
My 'go to' cigars are all Habanos.

In order of frequency...

- Boli Petit Corona
- Punch RS#12
- Partagas SD#4
- Upmann Mag 46
- Vegas Robaina Classico

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Like Phil, all my "go to" cigars are Havanas as well.

I dont really have a particualr one, but usually cigars that dont let me down are:

Cohiba Corona Especiales
Cohiba Siglo I's
Bolivar Corona Jrs
Partagas Selecion Privada #1
Partagas Shorts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Well, like relaxnsmoke, i have only been seriously smoking cigars a little over a year now. My tastes have changed almost as much as Michael Jacksons' face:D but i have three classes of "go-to" cigars depending on the mood, alignment of the planets etc...
Mild: Ashton Cabinet #6
Medium: CAO Brazilia Amazon/Punch Gran Cru Maduro #2/Padron (any)
Full: Perdomo Reserve(any)/ Joya De Nicaragua Gran Consul/Opus X #2/Ashton Vsg(any)
My list is as always a work in progress, i didn't list any ISOM's because if they were readily available/affordable that would change everything:rolleyes: .I treat ISOM's like i do Supermodels...enjoy 'em while you've got 'em;) .

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I can't get away from Cabinet Shorts. My definate go to smoke that even when young they are great and with age they are fab. I like the D4 a lot but it can be up and down depending on the box you get. I also must admit that I have yet to have a bad RA Cab Corona, but I may well be lucky on that one.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
i don't have any go to cigars (i do have a go to humidor tho)... i think it's more like love affairs for me. right now i'm in love with ra coronas ... like lamar said- these are most excellent dude.

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
Way too many to choose from.

BUT, when I'm in that special mood that calls for an old favorite, my usual standby cigars are:

ISOM's
Cohiba Lancero
Cohiba Siglo I
R&J Churchill Tubo

Domestics
Perrdomo La Tradition Cabinet Selection Maduro
(X, 5, 1)
El Rey del Mundo Flor de Llaneza (boy that's amouthful)

. . . But the list keeps changing all the time.

·
Registered
258 Posts
MoTheMan said:
Way too many to choose from.

BUT, when I'm in that special mood that calls for an old favorite, my usual standby cigars are:

Domestics
Perrdomo La Tradition Cabinet Selection Maduro
(X, 5, 1)

. . . But the list keeps changing all the time.
Otherwise known as Perdomo Reserve, in case you were wondering, Relaxnsmoke:D ;) .

·
DymOnamic
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was kinda wondering about that. I think I'm going to get a few sticks and try em. Which are best, the maduro, rosado or natural? I see on Bonitas site they also do have a La Tradicion Cabinet, I'm out of the loop on those Perdomos, I tried "the cigar" but it wasn't for me......I work with a fellow who buys them as a go to smoke though.

I also have tried a Perdomo second rosado belicoso, which was good, only cost $39 for 20 and now I can never find again!:c Thanks for all the cigar info guys.

I'm jealous of half of you, some of the go to smokes you guys have are luxury items to me. After I shared a Raphael Gonzales Panetela extra w/ my boss, then showed him the price, well, let's just say all hell is going to break loose up here in the NW! It's hard to stay away from the good stuff, once you know the difference. Schlippery Schlopes indeed!

:D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts