Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From what I've gathered most people dont like Macanudo cigars. Even though they are apparently the most requested cigar in America, most people seem like they dont like them.. hence crapanudo...
Funny thing though, everytime any frat or college guy sees me smokin a stogie they always ask "Dude, have you ever had a Macanudo?" Never fails.

So yah, are they just average or is there any specific blend or shape I should try before just writing it off as a "not worth trying"
:ms :ms :ms

·
Still Smitty's biotch!
3,335 Posts
Get the Magellan Dominicans from Cigars International for Mac Smokers 50 cigars for $30 and they taste as good as or better than Macanudos.

If you want "Real" Macanudos buy Old Fashioned Dominicans. These are bundled Macanudo seconds. Again only do so for people who like Macs. I guess they might work for Red Dot smokers as well. I read somewhere that Old Fashioned has recently surpassed FdO as the #1 bundle in the US. That is just sad. Its all in a name I suppose: look at Bose and Dyson for instance!

-Matt-

·
Banned
8,745 Posts
txmatt said:
Get the Magellan Dominicans from Cigars International for Mac Smokers 50 cigars for $30 and they taste as good as or better than Macanudos.

If you want "Real" Macanudos buy Old Fashioned Dominicans. These are bundled Macanudo seconds. Again only do so for people who like Macs. I guess they might work for Red Dot smokers as well. I read somewhere that Old Fashioned has recently surpassed FdO as the #1 bundle in the US. That is just sad. Its all in a name I suppose: look at Bose and Dyson for instance!

-Matt-
Hey dont go picken on Bose. My little wave clock radio is the only thing with enough volume to wake me up after 3 or 4 hours sleep. :D

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I bought a box of Macanudo Maduros in their Robustoish size a couple of years ago. I had smoked a few before and enjoyed them so pulled the trigger on a box. I smoked maybe five out of that box and gifted the rest of them. I thought they had were good when I first tried them but my tastes changed to other more...flavorful cigars.

I think they're strong point is that they are so consistent. Kinda like Budweiser in many respects. Not the best beer by a long shot; but you know what it's gonna taste like and you can find it anywhere.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ewww... well just like my cigars, i dont drink poopy beer, and if your comparing Macanudo's to Budweiser ... no thanks :cool:
I dont ever touch Bud, even if given to me for free. Just gross :pu

·
What would Skeeter do?
4,202 Posts
Here I am again........I don't smoke a Mac very often, but they are a decent mild cigar. I believe that the reason why "experienced" smokers tend to slam them is because they have generally "outgrown" the flavor profile of a Macanudo. They typically "deliver" in the value & taste department, cigar after cigar.
Last time I bought a box of Mac's, I ended up giving 3/4's of the box away, so it is not really in my rotation any more, but you should try it.
Try a Hampton Court Tubo in the nattie & maduro.......nice cigar IMHO.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My first venture into maduro-land was actually a Mac Maduro Hyde Park, so I guess I still have a soft spot for them.

I have not tried their other lines, but I usually try to keep a few Mac Maduro Diplomats at home. Depending on my mood and taste for the day I think they are a good smoke and I kind of enjoy the torbusto shape.

And like you already mentioned, they are consistent. Always good construction and flavour. You know what to expect.

When reading reviews I also kind get the feeling that part of the bashing is the very fact that they are well known and "mainstream". The bread-and-butter of premium cigars, and when you start to learn more and become more seasoned you want to venture into discovery of your own. Lets face it, it's more fun to wow someone by giving them a cigar they like if it's not the budweiser of cigars.
Like introducing a seasoned Bud drinker to a new beer that fits his or her flavour profile.

The other part of it - I think - is due to that the seasoned smoker have outgrown them and looks for a more flavourful smoke.

It's interesting though.. I've seen them score pretty high in blind tests.

Just my 2c.

·
Registered
734 Posts
voidone said:
My first venture into maduro-land was actually a Mac Maduro Hyde Park, so I guess I still have a soft spot for them.
I agree, I used to really like the Hyde Park in all of the Mac blends. That was early in my cigar smoking stage before I ventured out into other brands and began to experiment with the different wrappers and blends. The Hampton Court in the tube used to be my favorite golf cigar. I will still pick up a Hyde Park on occassion, they are just way down on my list of cigars.

·
Shags homely sheep
5,059 Posts
G-Man said:
I agree, I used to really like the Hyde Park in all of the Mac blends. That was early in my cigar smoking stage before I ventured out into other brands and began to experiment with the different wrappers and blends. The Hampton Court in the tube used to be my favorite golf cigar. I will still pick up a Hyde Park on occassion, they are just way down on my list of cigars.
Sorry bout the T' jack but have you played Hyde Park golf course? Very nice, old course in Jacksonville by a famous designer who's name I can't think of right now.

·
Registered
727 Posts
PaulHag said:
From what I've gathered most people dont like Macanudo cigars. Even though they are apparently the most requested cigar in America, most people seem like they dont like them.. hence crapanudo...
Funny thing though, everytime any frat or college guy sees me smokin a stogie they always ask "Dude, have you ever had a Macanudo?" Never fails.

So yah, are they just average or is there any specific blend or shape I should try before just writing it off as a "not worth trying"
:ms :ms :ms
I am very into the outdoors. I work at a large outdoors store. Everytime a college kid comes in, they want The North Face. Everytime someone who is wealthy, or atleast has rich parents, who has just gotten into backpacking comes in to buy some gear, they want The North Face. Now, TNF makes decent gear, but most people who are very into the outdoors will not touch it. Now, we sell more TNF jackets than any other brand in the store. What happens is that they dont make gear that appeals to the serious outdoorsmen (and women). I think the same thing has happened to Macanudo. Wow, that was a long, twisted answer...

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm anything but a seasoned cigar smoker as I've only been in this for less than a year now. Generally I've just stayed away from Mac because of things I've read about them here and the plenty of other cigars I've had for less than they like to charge for a Mac. Got a Mac Robust couple of weeks ago, first one I'd had from Mac aside from their miniature cigars. I really enjoyed it. What do ya'll think of this one, I haven't heard it being brought up in this thread yet?

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
When I first started smoking, everyone I knew told me Macanudos were the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I never developed a taste for them. I had some folks over at X-mas and handed out a bunch of La Vieja Habanas my wife bought me, and one of the guys was floored by it, saying he'd only ever smoked Macanudos, and that this cigar blew it away. He asked if they were expensive, and I showed him that a box would cost him about the same as 4 Hampton Courts! ;)

·
Registered
734 Posts
galaga said:
Sorry bout the T' jack but have you played Hyde Park golf course? Very nice, old course in Jacksonville by a famous designer who's name I can't think of right now.
I grew up not far from that course and have played it more times than I can count. It is a Donald Ross course. Great old style layout.

To get back on subjet. HAHA. I have smoke a cigar or two while playing it.

·
Sneaky Bombin Bastage
2,569 Posts
My very first premium cigar was a Hampton Court Maduro. Smoked them for a few months too. But as my tastes developed, I started looking for cigars with fuller body and more complex taste. There is really nothing wrong with them in my opinion. Just sort of one dimensional and mild. I do remember the ones I had always had a razor sharp burn. I think I just outgrew them.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I smoked a couple of boxes years ago. But like some of the others have stated, my tastes changed, and I can't stomach them now.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
They have a special place in my heart, they were one of the first "real" cigars i ever smoked, I think KHat is right most of the LLGs have outgrown the taste, and most of us have found something that is cheaper and better tasting....

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.