Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
X Canadian
Joined
·
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A customer of mine has bought a box of Monte #2 and a box of RyJ Churchills. He wants to sell me a partial box (5 of each) for $13.00 a stick which is his cost.

I'd like to have the sticks but isn't $13.00 a little high even for a partial box or am I being a tightwad and I should chalk it up to customer relations?
 

·
An ass, not a fish
Joined
·
4,476 Posts
Those cigars should run somewhere as low as 9 bucks each by the box, shipped. Other places you may pay what he is saying is his cost. Problem in the US is that there is a huge cost differential in what different places charge to ship here.
sean
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,255 Posts
Depending on where he got them and how much he paid for shipping, that's not an unreasonable price. If the R&J's are tubos, that's only a couple bucks more than they cost at the cheapest shops I've seen. Non-tubos and the #2 can be had for about $9 each. If you are sure of his source (they are not fake), the cigars look, smell and feel really good, I'd say it's worth it for the convenience and known quality.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,743 Posts
They may be legit, but the price would be too high for me. You are not a tightwad, I wouldn't pay it. There are too many reputable vendors to buy from someone who either has fake cigars or paid too much.....or worse....BOTH.
 

·
MoTheMentor
Joined
·
3,075 Posts
I'm with the others on this one. If they look legit & athentic, then not a bad price for sticks that are already in the hand.

The price is not steep to me, it just may indicate that they came from a place with high taxes. If your friend is a true BOTL, he won't mind telling you from where he obtained them -- not like you're trying to compete with him or anything!!
 

·
An ass, not a fish
Joined
·
4,476 Posts
(909) said:
High taxes, you hit it on the head. They came from Canada.
Many places in Canada charge a lot more than that, those prices would be considered quite good from there. Monte 2 and R&J Church are classics. Buy 'em as long as they're McCoy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
Now that I know where your friend got them from, I would be worried that the price is TOO LOW. There are many fake sites that sell RyJ Churchills and Monte #2's for that price, but there are NO legit places that I know of in Canada where you can get them for that. Taxes on tobacco in Canada are the highest in the world.

That's $325 a box. That is seriously cheap for real Cuban cigars from Canada. I would question his source before purchasing.
 

·
An ass, not a fish
Joined
·
4,476 Posts
cazadore said:
Now that I know where your friend got them from, I would be worried that the price is TOO LOW. There are many fake sites that sell RyJ Churchills and Monte #2's for that price, but there are NO legit places that I know of in Canada where you can get them for that. Lots of fake sellers operating out of Canada, many claiming to be in Montreal.

That's $325 a box. Absolutely no way they're real AND from Canada. Hell, the taxes, duties and tariffs are almost that much. Seriously.
I have no personal experience with habanos from Canada whatsoever, but I will say that if you look carefully you can find boxes of Monte 2 from Canadian sources for $300 on sale. They are $308.75 on another site. R&J Churches are $331.25 at that same place. There are other higher profile glitzy places that charge double that amount. So the cost structure that he is talking about is quite good for Canada, but not unreasonable enough to scream fake.
SeanGAR
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
If you believe that you can get real Monte #2's and RyJ Churchills for those prices, thru a legit Canadian vendor, by all means, go for it. From my many years of experience (don't let the post count and the screen name mislead you), at that price, they are almost assuredly fakes.

Enjoy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
152 Posts
Being that " I AM CANADIAN" sorry molson canadian beer commercial interlude...

Ya I would ask where this guy got them from ask for box code and holo code and serial code due to a lot of fakes but if you get the company name that he got them from lemme know, my sources around the Toronto area do not meet that price close but more like $16-17USD for R&J and $9-$14USD for the Monte. If you get any info and they are up here in Canada pm me and I will ask around my fellow BOTL that travel and live up here if the store is reputable, if they are not in my neighbourhood or if I have not dealt with them personally.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
153 Posts
(909) said:
A customer of mine has bought a box of Monte #2 and a box of RyJ Churchills. He wants to sell me a partial box (5 of each) for $13.00 a stick which is his cost.

I'd like to have the sticks but isn't $13.00 a little high even for a partial box or am I being a tightwad and I should chalk it up to customer relations?
Start by buying one of each, smoke them and then, if all is well, buy the rest.

JMHO
 

·
An ass, not a fish
Joined
·
4,476 Posts
cazadore said:
If you believe that you can get real Monte #2's and RyJ Churchills for those prices, thru a legit Canadian vendor, by all means, go for it. From my many years of experience (don't let the post count and the screen name mislead you), at that price, they are almost assuredly fakes.

Enjoy.
I only lived in Canada for 25 years...what do I know.....
 

·
X Canadian
Joined
·
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Being that "I WAS CANADIAN" I do know that you can buy cigarettes from the reservations at a reduced cost. Could it be that someone is getting cigars from a reservation at a cost lower than vendors paying taxes?
 

·
An ass, not a fish
Joined
·
4,476 Posts
Butch said:
YES it does happen I know it first hand about tobacco cheaper on the Reserves
I've heard Mohawks do a pretty good business on tax free tobacco ........ to go with the gambling of course. You might note they also pay no federal or provincial income taxes, so their cost structure is completely different from anybody else.
Sean
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
$13.00 a stick seems reasonable (maybe a tad high) as that's $325.00 a box. They are over or around $200.00 a box (can't remember exact price) at the airport duty free in Havana. Therefore no... import duties, taxes, shipping costs and shop profit etc to bring the price to that level.

A 50% to 100% markup would make sense as everyone along the line is taking their cut.

I'm just back from Havana today and going again on Tuesday I'll have a look at what they can be had for there... exactly.
 

·
An ass, not a fish
Joined
·
4,476 Posts
cvp747 said:
$13.00 a stick seems reasonable (maybe a tad high) as that's $325.00 a box. They are over or around $200.00 a box (can't remember exact price) at the airport duty free in Havana. Therefore no... import duties, taxes, shipping costs and shop profit etc to bring the price to that level.

A 50% to 100% markup would make sense as everyone along the line is taking their cut.

I'm just back from Havana today and going again on Tuesday I'll have a look at what they can be had for there... exactly.
The thing about Canada and tobacco/cigars in particular is that they tax the living tar out of them. When I lived there last, a pack of cigarettes (25) was more than $6.50 Canadian. It got so bad that the manufacturers starting selling packages of 10 cigarettes (used to call them kiddy packs). Once the government realized the extent of the cigarette smuggling going on, they reduced the tax somewhat. So it is suspect to see reasnably priced cigars from Canada. However, the Indians pay no taxes, so they can actualy sell cigars reasonably priced, and much less than normal retail outfits. That is the only place in Canada that you can find cigars that are not ridiculously expensive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
150 Posts
I guess they don't sell fakes in Canada, eh?

I can give you a list of at least 3 internet sources right off the top of my head (don't worry, administration, I'm not going to) that claim to be in Montreal that sell for the prices the poster quotes. Everything is fake as a $3 bill.

If any of you can get an RyJ Churchill or Monte #2 at a LEGIT shop, for example Thomas Hinds or the LCDH in downtown Toronto for $13US, please let me know. Seriously.

You can't even LOOK at a REAL one in Canada for that price.
 
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Top