Cigar Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CoRo, Siglo IV and a RyJ Robusto EL 01

As you can tell by the title I smoked some very nice cigars this weekend.

It started on Thursday night when I decided to sample a Cohiba Robusto (box code from 03) from a box split with a BOTL from CW. These have been sitting in my cooler with some other singles in a SLB for about a month or so. I took the Palio to it, snip, and I made a little crack perpendicular to the cut. Maybe a little too dry? Pre-light draw was very loose….yep these were a little dry.

Despite the loose draw the construction was good, just need to get these bad boys in to the desktop where the humidity is usually around 67%. The cooler has been ranging from 63% - 66% with the colder weather we have been having. If that doesn’t do the trick I’ll throw them in with the NC’s.

The taste was a bit muted, but that classic Cohiba tangy, creamy, vanilla bean taste did make an appearance. I would have enjoyed this cigar much more if the draw was a bit tighter. I can’t wait to try one of these in a month or so.

Friday night the wife wasn’t feeling too well so I went by Tripps to grab some food for us. When I got home I popped open a Sam Adams Winter Brew, ate my salad and then enjoyed an 18 oz prime rib (med. rare, of course) with a baked potato. I grabbed another beer and headed out to the deck with Havana (my lab puppy) and a Havana! Life is good.

The Siglo IV was an excellent cigar. Perfect construction, draw, burn and flavor. It started out a bit spicy/grassy but developed into that sweet, creamy, vanilla bean taste I mentioned above. It was pure heaven, the beer and the cigar paired nicely and I did not want this one to end. It seems that Havana lost interest in every toy I brought out for her and wanted desperately to go back inside. I set the Siglo down, took her to bed and headed back out to finish what would be, the best cigar of the weekend.

Saturday night was low-key. I made a home-made Bolognese sauce to go with some ravioli for dinner. It was tasty however, there was something missing. Perhaps the meat was a little too lean, fat adds flavor and I remember my other batches coming out better. Oh well…guess I’ll have to just make some more!

After dinner I grabbed a RyJ Robusto EL 2001 and headed outside. The wrapper was very dark, with minimal veining and a slight box press. The draw was perfect and the flavor was good. Woody with a bit of semi-sweet chocolate dancing in the background. I brought out some Bowmore 12 yo single malt with this cigar. I usually don’t drink Scotch with a cigar but I thought the smoky taste of the Bowmore and the woody flavors of the RyJ would go well together….I was right.

The robusto burned well, only requiring minor touch-ups to straighten out the burn. This cigar was good, but the flavors just didn’t "pop" like I had hoped. I would have to say the Ex. #4’s I have from an 01 cabinet were very similar in taste and for the price, a less expensive alternative to the limited edition robusto.

Overall I’d give top honors to the Siglo IV, followed by the RyJ and then the CoRo. Although, if the draw on the CoRo’s tighten up a bit and the flavors pour on I may rank the CoRo above the RyJ….. only one way to find out ;)

I hope my fellow gorillas enjoyed their weekend smokes as much as I enjoyed mine.

:w

·
Registered
368 Posts
Nice review, 1F1! Personally, the Sig IV is one of my favorites. I absolutely love that cigar! I was sitting at the cigar shop Saturday with a fellow locker member, and he asked me what I was smoking, as it was unbanded. He had never had a Cuban Cohiba, so I pulled another one out of my pocket humi. The expression on his face was gratuity enough! Kind of like in the WW II movies, when an American GI gives a German kid their first chocolate bar. Well, this dudes face lit up as well! That's always really cool.

Oh, and the Bolognese? A great sauce or gravy makes the dish! And brother, I could eat GOOD Italian food every day! Don't EVEN get me started on that!! :D

John

·
-
11,412 Posts
1f1fan said:
Thursday night I decided to sample a Cohiba Robusto (box code from 03). Pre-light draw was very loose….yep these were a little dry.

The taste was a bit muted, but that classic Cohiba tangy, creamy, vanilla bean taste did make an appearance. I would have enjoyed this cigar much more if the draw was a bit tighter.

The Siglo IV was an excellent cigar. It started out a bit spicy/grassy but developed into that sweet, creamy, vanilla bean taste I mentioned above.

:w
glad you liked them.

i underlined some things.

the CoRo - all of the ones i've had have that very easy draw, like sipping on a straw... i LOVE that. the part i HATE is the spicy/grassy flavor, like smoking old hay. at least, that's the flavors i get from cohibas. i haven't had one that i've liked yet.

Siglo IV - if any of the cohibas i've had tasted like this, "sweet, creamy, vanilla bean" then i'd probably like them too. but like you said, it started a little spicy/grassy. i've never had one of these before...

maybe that's why i'm not a big cohiba fan, i haven't had any that tasted sweet, creamy, vanilla bean like. if they did, i'd like cohibas...

i'm glad there's people that love their nutty/grassy flavors... and i'm not joking when i say that my "don asa" from cigarbid tasted the exact same as a CoRo, only 100000% cheaper (35 cents or 15 Euro each - the CoRo's i had were in germany for 15 euro each)?

maybe i just haven't had any good ones.

·
-
11,412 Posts
you all think i'm joking when i say that... i'm not.
i smoked a sig II at lunch one day, wasn't that impressed. later that night, i smoked a Don Asa, it tasted better.

i've smoked some CoRos and felt they tasted like Don Asa robustos, so i would try a Don Asa the following day, and i was right. they both had a nutty/grassy flavor, only the Don Asa was better (to me).

like i said, i must not have had a good cohiba yet. so, you all may think i'm exaggerating, but i'm not. i'm seriously hoping that these seleccion reservas will be like 1f1fan is describing....

hey, lots of people love cohibas, so they must be good. i equate this to the way coppertop is with montecristos, i've had no luck with 'em so far.

·
Registered
368 Posts
No problem, bro. Like I said, it's all subjective. And as you added, maybe you just haven't had a good one yet. Oh, and with Coppertop & his Montes? I love the Monte 2s, even though I have yet to have the "full -bodied powerhouse" that so many people speak of.

John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.