Cigar Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
rumor has it that many of the discontinued vitolas will pop up again in the future, and the list was created to get rid of 99-00 stocks in many distributors.

anyone here this also?

·
Registered
150 Posts
It's possible that certain "discontinued" vitolas may come back in the future, but as for the "to get rid of '99-00 stocks", the ORIGINAL hit list was compiled back in late 2000 when Altadis first acquired their share of Habanos SA, so I would hardly think that they knew ALREADY BACK THEN, that some of these cigars MAY not be up to par.

For me, although they weren't the best vintages I've had, almost all of the cigars I've had from the first half of '99 were very good to excellent, and the ones I have from late '99 and 2000 have come around very nicely. What originally was a very short-term ligero shortage in mid-2000 has, over the last few years, turned into rumors that everything from '99-'00 sucks and should be avoided like the plague. Imho, nothing could be further from the truth. As a matter of fact, not very long ago I received a box of OSU JUN00 BBF's and AUG00 Monte #2's that are among the best I've ever smoked. And these codes are smack dab in the heart of this supposed bad period. Go figure.

Just my $.02 :cool:

·
Registered
105 Posts
DaveC said:
UCMBA is a newbie, how can he know ;)
good to see u over here!
I admit I do not know much at ALL! :D But the discontinued list process (ideation, building the list, effecting the actual cuts, reorganizing the production) has been a multi-year process. If it were clearly a "one-time" effort just to eliminate 1999/2000 production (much of which I like!) then I think the effort would look different...more focused and specific.

·
Registered
212 Posts
DaveC said:
rumor has it that many of the discontinued vitolas will pop up again in the future, and the list was created to get rid of 99-00 stocks in many distributors.

anyone here this also?
dave i think your wishing that youll see the rac make a comeback...and that makes at least two of us.. :D

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
relaxnsmoke said:
Must of taken lessons from OPEC. I once tried to pull off a shortage of pet rocks.....but it didn't matter, people just went ahead and lived with the wild rocks.
hey, wild rocks may be plentiful but will never perform like the domesticated version

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
cazadore said:
It's possible that certain "discontinued" vitolas may come back in the future, but as for the "to get rid of '99-00 stocks", the ORIGINAL hit list was compiled back in late 2000 when Altadis first acquired their share of Habanos SA, so I would hardly think that they knew ALREADY BACK THEN, that some of these cigars MAY not be up to par.

For me, although they weren't the best vintages I've had, almost all of the cigars I've had from the first half of '99 were very good to excellent, and the ones I have from late '99 and 2000 have come around very nicely. What originally was a very short-term ligero shortage in mid-2000 has, over the last few years, turned into rumors that everything from '99-'00 sucks and should be avoided like the plague. Imho, nothing could be further from the truth. As a matter of fact, not very long ago I received a box of OSU JUN00 BBF's and AUG00 Monte #2's that are among the best I've ever smoked. And these codes are smack dab in the heart of this supposed bad period. Go figure.

Just my $.02 :cool:
I agree 100%. There may have been more bad smokes than a normal year in 99, but I have some 99's that are as good as it gets( Le Hoyo Du Roi and Part. Privadas)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts