Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

· Registered
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know not everyone posts on the call to action forum, so I am posting a link to my other post here. Congress has introduced the Tobacco Tax Parity Act of 2010 was introduced on January 13, 2010 and would raise the tax on pipe tobacco 775% from $2.8311 to $24.78 per pound. I knew this was coming when you heard about all the RYO people re-branding their tobacco as pipe tobacco to get around tax.

You can see the other post here with a link to email your congressmen:

http://www.cigarforums.net/forums/v...increas-pipe-tobaco-proposed.html#post2791511

· Registered
1,336 Posts
If you really want to exert some influence, you need to take action on your own. Members of Congress pay virtually no attention to e-mails and other correspondence that is just a copy of something from a lobbying organization or group. Do it right. Look at the Web site for the House Appropriations Committee (where this bill has been referred) and see if your congressman is a member of the committee. If so, write a letter in your own words expressing your own opinions about the proposal. If you don't have a congress member on the committee, write to your own congressman about your concerns over the proposal. You might also be interested to know that a similar proposal was made last year in the Senate and didn't get far.

· Lakeland Grognard
3,998 Posts
Looked it up, it is assigned to the ways and means committee, it would seem, and it only has one cosponsor, who is a member of that committee (but not the chair). That is a very good sign for us.

· Registered
1,336 Posts
Jack Straw - Thanks. I don't know why I wrote Appropriations. Of course it's Ways and Means. It's taxes. I just wasn't thinking. The sponsors are Steve Cohen (Dem., TN), and Lloyd Doggett (Dem., TX).

· Nee "Tashaz"
13,721 Posts
Hey people, be happy our Prime Minister in Australia is a dick & your politicians dont hear him. Our tobacco tax is $146.33 per pound. That is on every type of tobacco.

· Registered
239 Posts
Too bad we can't impose tax on something politicians are addicted to - like being a-holes.

Right now I order from the US because $3-4 of your tobacco would cost $20-25 here (Canada). My last order (that got tagged by customs canada) was about $70 worth of baccy - customs put the Canadian value at $684 on the customs form. I had to pay $50. Still a huge savings, but who knows if things get crazy there what we will all do.

· Pipe Pro, Puffer Nouveau
99 Posts
Sadly, neither the US reps in my present state, nor the reps in my long term home of AZ occupy a spot on Ways and Means (pity, I used to be the Area coordinator for the (now) minority party in AZ's 18th legislative District, and as I like to quip, "I still have pics of John McCain and I cleaning out a part of his backyard for a BBQ fund-raiser, to prove it". Nonetheless, I sent the following to the chairman on the Ways and Means (Chuck Rangel, God help us), as well as those I know in the present house.

"Many times in our country's history, even the most reasonable of men and women have become swept up in a societal and legislative tsunami. Be it the hysteria of the McCarthy era, or the well intended naivety of the Volstead Act, the firebrands genuinely believed that their aim was to improve the lot of a group of individuals, or the country, whether those affected could see the benefit or not. And, for at least a short while, moderates were placed in the horrid position where they believed a "Nay" vote would spell doom for their political careers. After all, what kind of REAL American could possibly be against the evils of liquor, or in favor of Communists eventually taking over the government?

Eventually enough courageous legislators banded together, said "It stops here", and voted based upon reason and the reality of the situation, not the pressures of fashion.

To place any additional increase in taxation on this most benign form of tobacco usage, much less than the bewildering 775% increase proposed in H.R. 4439, an increase that would effectively toll the death-knell for both a cottage industry, as well as this time honored, and respected means of seeking solace and quiet enjoyment.

Respectfully, I submit that it is well past time to say "Enough!", and ask that you oppose H.R 4439.

Dr. Ronald "Bear" Graves

1 - 20 of 96 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.