Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Broke
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To date I have only hand full of Cohibas (Rob & CCE) and have not been very impressed with them. The CCE have all had draw problems, and the Rob I've had have been on the young side.

Wanting to give this brand every opportunity to shine, I requested either a Siglio VI or Espy in the MAW/PIF thead. Mbraud stepped up and in true generous gorrilla fashion sent me both.

First up is the Sig VI. Compared to most of the ISOMs I smoke (Cor. Gordo, Rob, etc...) this thing is huge. The prel-light smell was a little on the grassy side, but gave me no indication to the stregth of this cigar. My beverage of choice is Rootbeer, so I grabbed a bottle of IBC and headed for the deck.

The foot toasted nicely and I lit this bad boy up....the first thing that came to my mind was creamy smooth. It had a little of that Cuban twang to it, but not much. A little choclately a little creamy, but oh so good. There was also a little spice to it that I could never put my finger on. Towards the end it started to develop a little bit of a tunneling problem, but what should I expected with only 72hrs of rest after travel. I really didn't notice it getting to me, but after nubbing it I went to stand up and realized my deck was spinning a little bit.

Overall a great cigar and now I understand what all the fuss is about these.

Thanks Mike. I'll be firing up the Esplendido later in the week.

Dan

Attachments

· Irukandji Boxed Jellyfish
2,710 Posts
Re: Cohiba Siglio VI and Esplendido

Dandee said:
I really didn't notice it getting to me, but after nubbing it I went to stand up and realized my deck was spinning a little bit.
Don't you love that feeling. Smoked a monte #4 the other day and had to take the stairs a little slower than I normally do.

I had a Siglio VI last week and I would agree it was a wonderful cigar. A little stronger than some of the other ISOMs I have tried, but not the strongest. Very very nice.

· Registered
244 Posts

I have some Siglo VI's and Esplindidos. For my money, the Sig VI is wonderful, and the esplidido is not as good. I find the esplindidos to be just good, fairly mild ISOM's, while the Sig VI is something I just want to buy more and more. Too bad they both cost as they do.

· Bayou Bengal of Jungle
1,943 Posts

Glad u enjoyed it Dandee and glad you reviewed it. I agree I cant wait to see how these are with age on them. Young or old, as long as you were happy, I am happy. And thank Dave (Azherfer) too b/c he is the one who I got the box of Sig Vi's from...he's so sweet! Thx for the review!

· Registered
21,868 Posts

Gordie said:
...I find the esplindidos to be just good, fairly mild ISOM's, while the Sig VI is something I just want to buy more and more. Too bad they both cost as they do.
Wow...I certainly would not characterize Esplendidos as mild cigars. Damn, Gordie. You must be smoking some seriously strong sticks! :)

----------------------------

Lovvvve Cohibas...but if you are looking for something to smoke young, this isn't your brand. Given time, they are tough to beat.

· Registered
50 Posts

Thanks for the review. I'm a big fan of the Siglo VI and the Esplendido is a fantastic cigar and one that has never disappointed me.

:cool:

· Registered
2,283 Posts

IMHO the Siglo VI is slightly better than the Esplendido (non-anniversary ones) but both are great cigars-none of which would i turn down.

· Pipe making Gorilla
1,526 Posts

whiteboard said:
Wow...I certainly would not characterize Esplendidos as mild cigars. Damn, Gordie. You must be smoking some seriously strong sticks! :)
Ive always thought of them to be mild but i thinks it all a bit of an illusion you think its milder than iit actually is, probably cos they are so damn smooth!

· Registered
21,868 Posts

caskwith said:
Ive always thought of them to be mild but i thinks it all a bit of an illusion you think its milder than iit actually is, probably cos they are so damn smooth!
:tpd: I think people define "strong" in different ways. To some, a cigar isn't strong unless it tastes spicy or aggressive.

· Registered
1,528 Posts

Just finished a Siglo IV from '95. Not too shabby, not too shabby at all!

Actually this particular Cohiba is a staple in my humidor. I don't smoke them often (I've had the same box since 98), but when I have a craving for that particular flavor, nothing else satisfies!

Aged Cohibas are special. IMHO the flavors become more pronounced as they age.

Just recently bought some of the EXTREMELY rare Coronas. These were made for just a few years. Exceptional cigars in the classic Cohiba tradition!

· Registered
1,421 Posts

I have to agree with the Sig VI as being a great stick. I have only had a couple when they first came out and they were on point.

Are the current batches smoking as well?

· Enjoy ya self!
1,505 Posts

Lamar said:
I have to agree with the Sig VI as being a great stick. I have only had a couple when they first came out and they were on point.

Are the current batches smoking as well?
I recieved a box from 04 recently. After a week i lit one up and was completely unimpressed. There were some hints of goodness, but really quite blah. So i decided last Sat. that it would be a good idea to try another, this time from the middle of the wheel, and man, already quite a transformation. Deliciously creamy and caramel is what I tasted. They can only get better from here on out.

· Broke
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

I had planned on smoking the Esplendido on the Fourth, but I got sick and plans were derailed. A few nights late, but I'm still on vacation, and now better time than the present to light up the bad boy of the Cohiba world.

After a few days of being ill, I knew my taster would be a little off so I lit up a RASCC before dinner to get myself baselined. If nothing else I think a 4 days without smoking enhanced my senses and is helping me pick up the subtlties better.

The pre-light aroma was wonderful, Draw was perfect...so I put the torch to it.

I'm almost done with it, but it has changed several times on me. Started out on the spicy side. At about the 1/3 mark it started to settle down and really mellow out. Very creamy with hints of chocolate. Burn has been even and razor sharp. The last third was very taste with the tanic cuban "twang" a little more pronounced. Not as strong as the Siglo VI, but just as taste. I don't know if its just because its the one I just smoked or not, but I would liked it just a little bit better than the Sig VI. In my top 5 all time.

Thanks for the chance to try this Mike!

Dan

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.