Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Smoking Volunteer
5,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago Jeff (Harley33) posted that he had just purchased some 2011 EL cigars that appeared to be Cohiba 1966s. I questioned how that could be possible since they weren't supposed to be released until later this summer. Rather than getting defensive, Jeff sent me one of the cigars and authorized me to do a bit of detective work and post my findings.
I admit I was a bit skeptical.The cigar itself is beautiful, but all that told me is that someone took the time to produce the correct bands, etc.
The real question is could they be the actual first production of this cigar posted in all places by a BOTL here on puff?
I asked a couple sources I know in the business.
Here's the story :
Someone with mid to high access in the factory received several mazos of these in Cuba during the festival.
This was done to gas expectations about these cigars in the market.
Several of these have appeared in Alemania and the UK.
The bottom line is that my sources confirmed that these cigars are almost certainly authentic.
Jeff your source for these indeed had the access required to get them.
Life is amazing isn't it?

· THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG!
34,863 Posts
I don't for a second doubt that you and Jeff believe these to be real. I don't question your sources Bob. Nor do i mean to insult either of you. In view of what i have just found out about the claims made by a vendor on the PDR custom rolls. I personally chose to wait till the official release. As always thanks for giving us the scoop early!

· Registered
1,788 Posts
Thanks for the info Bob. I was very hesitant to spend the money on something that I was not sure of. I bought the un-banded ones a couple of weeks before the banded ones that I posted. I definitely don't have the refined palate that some of the BOTL's here have, but I could definitely tell it's a cohiba. When you enjoy yours, let me know your thoughts.

Jeff

· Registered
965 Posts
Good work all around guys. Jeff, you seem like a great botl, I never understood why some fellows get their backs up at the slightest question regarding provenance, but you not only took the questions in the spirit they were asked, you went WAY beyond. Bull and Bob are very fortunate to try these and poke around a bit regarding their authenticity.

Tony, you have a right to be skeptical. The intrigue and double dealing in the cuban cigar industry would make a great novel

What did you learn about the PDR customs?

· THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG!
34,863 Posts
Tony, you have a right to be skeptical. The intrigue and double dealing in the cuban cigar industry would make a great novel

What did you learn about the PDR customs?
I learned that people of merit those like Nino who have no reason to question the Cuban cigar market. Have no reason to lie the vendor selling these has IMHO always been questionable. In the sense that he is out to make a dollar as are all vendors. That's why when someone offers me something with no proof of origin i back off. Because it wouldn't be beyond any vendor IMHO to stretch the truth a little. After all that's Capitalism, so for me i stick with regular production items. When someone like Bull Man tells me he has sampled one of these and they are no big deal. I back off as my suspicions have now come to fruition. That's not to say if you like them you shouldn't smoke them. The question for me has always been. Are these at $15 a stick better than a Cohiba Robusto at $12 a stick. When they are not why would i pay for more while i got less!:tape:

· Registered
965 Posts
What did you learn about the PDR customs
Never mind, just read Nino's blog.

You know what though, this is just more layers of intrigue. Apparently no one is disputing that they are from the PDR, only that a famous family did not lend its name to the stick. I thought that was the case anyway, that's why they called them PDR customs or whatever.

Shady vendors, backroom deals, non-denial denials. The smoke's so thick you can't tell who is your friend and who's picking your pocket :)

· Smoking Volunteer
5,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Never mind, just read Nino's blog.

You know what though, this is just more layers of intrigue. Apparently no one is disputing that they are from the PDR, only that a famous family did not lend its name to the stick. I thought that was the case anyway, that's why they called them PDR customs or whatever.

Shady vendors, backroom deals, non-denial denials. The smoke's so thick you can't tell who is your friend and who's picking your pocket :)
You know, the intrigue is what makes this fascinating! I doubted that these Cohibas could be authentic until I asked around and found out that there were some available. I think that Habanos SA does this on purpose to get us talking.

BTW, none of the sources I used for background actually had any of these themselves. They only described why there were a few on the market.

When we have full blown capitalists living in a communist nation, things are bound to be interesting.

· Ole Crusty Spiked Fish
2,917 Posts
You know, the intrigue is what makes this fascinating!

When we have full blown capitalists living in a communist nation, things are bound to be interesting.
Two great points Bob. The intrigue of just regular release ccs is one of the reasons I love habanos.

I have to believe that inside of a communist nation many people generally dream of and desire capitalism. I for one would love to see a Cuba where each factory and brand competed against one another for market share...wowzers, the quality of smokes might be even better than they are today.

Any idea on the price point of the 66 EL?

· Smoking Volunteer
5,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Two great points Bob. The intrigue of just regular release ccs is one of the reasons I love habanos.

I have to believe that inside of a communist nation many people generally dream of and desire capitalism. I for one would love to see a Cuba where each factory and brand competed against one another for market share...wowzers, the quality of smokes might be even better than they are today.

Any idea on the price point of the 66 EL?
I have heard that the price on the 66 will be similar to the Behikes.

The Montecristo Gran Reservas will be north of $100 each, box of 15.

Anyone up for a split?

LOL

· Ole Crusty Spiked Fish
2,917 Posts
I have heard that the price on the 66 will be similar to the Behikes.

The Montecristo Gran Reservas will be north of $100 each, box of 15.

Anyone up for a split?

LOL
Sure I'm up for a split, as long as you would accept half of my brain because that is all I would have left if I started buying $100 cigars (no matter the origin).

Of course I also used to say that about $20 cigars and now I've just gone plain :clock:

· Son of Tun
9,469 Posts
Truth be told
When I saw Jeffs Post, I too did some investigation.
I was lucky enough to talk to s cpl guys that had sampled the sticks
from
a LCDH in Spain.
I look forward to tomorrow,....hope to do a review this weekend

Alan

· Formally "jadeg001"
3,620 Posts
I learned that people of merit those like Nino who have no reason to question the Cuban cigar market. Have no reason to lie the vendor selling these has IMHO always been questionable. In the sense that he is out to make a dollar as are all vendors. That's why when someone offers me something with no proof of origin i back off. Because it wouldn't be beyond any vendor IMHO to stretch the truth a little. After all that's Capitalism, so for me i stick with regular production items. When someone like Bull Man tells me he has sampled one of these and they are no big deal. I back off as my suspicions have now come to fruition. That's not to say if you like them you shouldn't smoke them. The question for me has always been. Are these at $15 a stick better than a Cohiba Robusto at $12 a stick. When they are not why would i pay for more while i got less!:tape:
From what I read, here's the (speculated) deal with the PDRs and other customs: The rollers are not supposed to sell them to vendors for re-sale. Therefore, they will not admit they were theres. There is a good thread on another forum about this where the vendor in question made some statements.

But, you can never be sure unless you see them being rolled in person.

· Registered
2,857 Posts
Maybe this is breaking the rules despite the vagueness, (mods -feel free to delete)

JGD - There are multiple youtube videos with HJ talking about his custom rolls at the retailer including plugging future Partagas cigars.

· Not Here
12,735 Posts
Maybe this is breaking the rules despite the vagueness, (mods -feel free to delete)

JGD - There are multiple youtube videos with HJ talking about his custom rolls at the retailer including plugging future Partagas cigars.
It seems fine so far Jason. If I didn't know exactly what was being discussed then I wouldn't have a clue how to find the vendor without help.

· Immature Pufferfish
2,539 Posts
Can't wait for these to be released, 2011 is going to be an eventful CC year.
:D

· Smoking Volunteer
5,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A little follow up and resurrection on this thread.

At the time I posted this, it appeared there were a few pre release sticks on the market. As my source confirmed, this was nothing unusual, and was part of juicing up market expectations.

Somewhere along the line a few sticks became a few hundred.

When I followed up on this, my island friend said it was still theoretically possible, until I told him the price point on these and how they were being distributed.

That was a game changer. A few of these might indeed find there way to us, the huddled masses. But big numbers of these cigars only get to the elite.

So, the provenance of these seems more doubtful now.

I've got one from Jeff, and another coming in the mail directly from the source in question.

I will compare and smoke both, and report what I experience.

I know this is also being done by some deeply respected BOTLs on some other forums, but my two cents will still be worth umm, about two cents.

· Registered
965 Posts
I read that thread from the other forum, quite interesting to say the least.

Glad you are taking us through your investigation Bob, you're a real asset to our community! :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts