Cigar Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. About a year ago my roomate introduced me to cigar smoking. He did me the questionable service of introducing me almost directly to cigars from ISOM. There was no slippery slope for me, just a cliff with him chuckleing as he pushed.

So now a year later I've converted a small closet into a humidor/ wine rack. I'm now looking at getting a humidifier for it and was wondering what suggestions the group might have.

It's 3' x 4' x 8' with a good seal and an electrical outlet inside.

I appreciate any advice you all might have.

Thanks

:al

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would say go to bargain humidors and get some climaxx beads...I have them and swear by them...That's all I'll ever use from here on out...Good luck...

Guido

·
Registered
21,744 Posts
1 lb of climax beads will humidify aprox 5 cubic feet. If you go for the beads you will need 20 lbs of beads and at $24.00 per lb you would have to spend almost $500.00 on beads alone...
:confused:
Just get a "cigar oasis"... you'll spend under $100 and will not be dissapointed

·
Registered
97 Posts
Maybe I'm just old-fashioned but I believe that closet humidifiers ought to stay in the closet. People's sexual preferences should be a private matter.

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
Maybe I'm just old-fashioned but I believe that closet humidifiers ought to stay in the closet. People's sexual preferences should be a private matter.
Yes, even if they get rid of their clothes to build a closet humidor (private joke btwn me & robmcd).
:r

MoTheMan

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
Hey SD Andy

My first closet humidor was about the size of yours. I used some real good weather stripping inside the doorway to maintain air tightness.
Personally I like using the Honeywell humidifier system. I have the Model DH835.
http://honeywellconsumerproducts.com/hcp_store/catalog/modelsmatch.asp?PartNum=33&Search=4&rsSeed=0

For a good digital hygrometer, I personally like the Little Havana Digital Hygrometer/Thermometer, but then I'm dying to try out this new one, the Csonka Thermo Hygrometer Sensor. Both can be found here:
http://www.holts.com/cgi-bin/ncomme...86676&merfnbr=76&value_plus=&show_acc_bar=yes

Now this is not the most precise humidification (the humidifier is a little fussy in fact and you have to watch it to make sure it doesn't go too high or too low), but I like the idea that the air circulates and the humidity can vary some (more like natural conditions). I really feel that it makes the cigars taste a lot fresher, and people have concurred that about cigars I've given them.

I've included a picture of my humidor (below) to give you an idea of what it looks like -- well, it's not looking quite like that any more as it is getting very crowded (on top, in front, and on the bottom).

Hope I was of some help.

MoTheMan

:w

Attachments

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
Sorry Nero but all the way here in Merryland!
Otherwise I'd invite you over to get a coupla' samples.

MoTheMan

BTW, some of the herfs from our Friday nite group (here in Baltimore) have actually seen it and can verify that it exists.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Becuase of the size and configuration of my humidor / wine closet, I decided to try out the Cigar Oasis II. They are small enough that I can put them on the floor where a humidifier is supposed to be. One of the bigger ones I'd either have to sacrafice storage for a dozen bottles of wine or put it on the top shelf.

I'm also going to follow drc's advice and put some climax beads in there as a stabalizer.

After I see how it all works I may install a small fan to circulate the air a bit more.

Just wanted thank everyone for their help.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I must say it is a sight to see Mo's Closetdor.
The picture is awesome but in person.... wow.
It actually is one of the top 10 tourist attractions here in Baltimore, just ask anyone.
Dude, I would follow in the footsteps of Master MO
if possible.

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
Bruce you're too generous.

I'd like to see how SDAndy's set up works, especially since his space is a lot more confined than mine.

MoTheMan

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
Brothers,

You are always more than welcome.

MoTheMan

1 - 15 of 15 Posts