Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just wanted to ask the old timers here which non-ISOM is most like a common ISOM.

I had a Gran Habano Corojo #5 today and it seemed to be what I would imagine a ISOM to be, strong and really earthy, leathery flavors.

Which cigar would you say in a blind taste test would be hard to tell from a ISOM?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I would put the TTT Trinidad line of cigars up for nomination. Very rich and earthy with a great deal of smoke. Very enjoyable...

:w

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
The old Don Melo Centennario line (the ones with the picture on the band and produced at the Felipe Gregorio factory).

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
flipflop said:
Only a Cuban tastes like a Cuban.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :D
That pretty much sums up what I was going to say.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bruce5 said:
Sorry to say but,
Chicken will never taste like steak.
Good news is there is some good chicken out there.
Thats a little extreme, how about comparing just differnt cuts of meat, like rump roast will never taste like Filet Mignon, but some other cuts of meat come pretty close if you cook them right.

There has to be one cigar that is close to an ISOM, I mean, a cow raised in Texas tastes the same as one in South Dakota right? :D

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
The only thing I've had that comes close is the Camacho Diploma and that was only a partial match. I would swear that they put Havana leaf in the first quarter inch of that cigar. After the first two or three puffs though they sour to the usual crappy taste of Honduran tobacco.

In general I would tend to agree with Flip Flop's post, but some Havana machine mades do not always hold a unique taste charateristic.

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
summerkc said:
Thats a little extreme, how about comparing just differnt cuts of meat, like rump roast will never taste like Filet Mignon, but some other cuts of meat come pretty close if you cook them right.

There has to be one cigar that is close to an ISOM, I mean, a cow raised in Texas tastes the same as one in South Dakota right? :D
Yeah, but was the cow corn or grain fed?

OMG, now we're talking about cows!!??! :r

·
Registered
147 Posts
Answer #1
To me, there are two primary differences between an ISOM and a nonISOM. First, a good ISOM cigar (they are all handmade afterall) usually has multiple flavors within each puff, and changes flavors significantly as a cigar is smoked down. Might taste light and creamy for the first third, switch to a more earthy flavor for a while, etc...... In my experience, few nonISOMs switch flavors like this. In addition, I usually love the last third of most ISOMs, and usually discover that most nonISOMS taste bitter during the last third. Second...body...many (not all) ISOMS tend to have a greater kick to them.

In this way, I agree that basically only an ISOM tastes like an ISOM.

Wouldn't you agree that only a nicaraguan puro like Padron tastes like a pure Nicaraguan?

Answer #2

SO... which nonISOM is most like an ISOM? I second the Camacho... To me, the Camacho maduro, corojo, and diploma have flavors that I usually only notice in an ISOM. Though the camacho doesn't change flavors as near as often like an ISOM.

Some of the Joya De Nicaragua smokes have the power that many of my ISOMS have...though the actual flavor seems harsh. The camacho diplomas tend to kick it up a notch too.

·
Registered
147 Posts
oopps...matt is correct
there are machine made cubans...
what I was meaning to say was a "good cuban" will change flavors often, however, not every cuban is good, not every brand is good everytime...each cigar will change based on the roller (handmades, handfinished), and the tobacco used...

my fault, was trying to qualify what I meant when I said a "good ISOM" tastes like this or that..

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I would second Flip Flop, in saying none. The only domestics I can smoke ( and thats not often due to price and they still don't taste as good as Cubans to me) are an occasional Opus X. They have a nice spiciness and good strength as far as Non-Cubans go, however the aroma is distinct and smells nothing like Cuban leaf. I've tried the Padron 1926 that so many compare to Cubans and some even say is better and I just don't see how. It's strong as hell but very one noted to my tastebuds, and the aroma just plain stinks to me. :confused:

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You guys make me feel like I am smoking hand rolled pieces of cow sh#t! Wish I could legally (or illegally) try one of these one-stick-wonders.

I will try one of the suggested cigars and see what I think. :D

Thanks for the comments!

·
Registered
921 Posts
Okay, the chicken/steak thing was a little extreme.

The Camacho 11/18 is a little close, but also, the Flor Dominicana
Double Liguero robusto extra or toro size (not the chisel).

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.