Cigar Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of switching from oasis foam to climmax beads. Apparently these things are basically the same polyacrylate crystals that you can find at a home supply store.

I have a couple of questions.

What humidity do the crystals available at the home supply store hold? 70%?

Do the crystals perform better than the oasis foam?

Thanks.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I haven't used the beads, but I do have a Climmax humidifier. Prior to getting it, the humidity in the humidor could get well over 70% during the muggy summer months. That was with your basic oasis foam humidifier. Now, the humidity never gets above 70%, although I will let it drop to 65% before I worry about adding water. I use a Climmax large Tubo in my travel humidor, and it works just as well.

·
Chimpus herfustus
745 Posts
My foam humidification device is a joke. I know the humidity must fluctuate all over the place and I have to add water to it every week. I have a relatively small humidor that can hold probably 25 cigars. Any suggestions? Anyone ever use Drymistat tubes?:confused:

·
Registered
21,743 Posts
I use one pound of the 65% beads in my 42 bottle wine cooler, keeps it right at 65%, I add about two tablespoons per year of distilled water. I live in South Florida, and this is the only way I can keep the humidity down. I love em:w

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. Do any of you have leads on a retailer carrying either the 65% or 70% beads? I did a quick google search but I couldn't find one. Imagine that!

·
Light's on..No one's home
371 Posts
bargainhumidors.com
70%...in stock
65%...on back order

climmax.com
70%...in stock
65%...in stock

climmax price slightly higher.

Bob

·
Registered
206 Posts
I found with my 65% beads that they are great for keeping the humidity constant.When it starts to drop a bit I put the foam back in for a couple of days and she's back to where I want it.

·
HOT for HILLARY!!
3,591 Posts
I love the beads...well, loved. My humidor took a pretty good shaking when I moved out of my apartment and they ended up everywhere...luckily I took all of my cigars out beforehand.

·
Registered
585 Posts
theoretical bead question. say you have a cigar locker at a local shop, the temp is consistent from 65-70, the rh from 69-71. If the interior of the cube is close to 2.25sq ft, would keeping 1/4lb of 65% climmax beads bring down the RH within the locker? The lockers are somewhat sealed, but i am assured that the rh is the same as the room where the lockers are.

the beads would be held either in a topless tupperware dish, or in a new pantyhose/cheesecloth setup...

my estimations is that it will bring the rh down, any input?
the locker is to be used for both isom's and dr/nicur/hondu

1 - 10 of 10 Posts