Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished my first San Cristobal de La Habana... It was an El Principe... Well, I didnt really finish it because it smelled of too much perfume... kind of lady-perfume... Ive experienced this a couple of years ago when I smoked an El Rey del Mundo (dont know which but it was corona-sized) and it also smelled a little bit of perfume... but nothing like this one... It was too much I just couldnt finish it properly I had to toss it... I was a little bit afraid that I was going to have an allergic reaction too... It cant be that healthy to smoke perfume, could it? (Like smoking cigars is like living healthy, right?) :)

Anyone else experienced this or is this just crap... Evrything else seemed to be perfect the weather wasnt cold, and I think I havent got a cold anymore, and even the cigar seemed to be very good except for the smell of perfume...

Aaah... :c

·
Registered
368 Posts
Can't say that it's ever happened to me before. Occasionally I'll receive some stogies that are going through their "sick" period. That's the funky ammonia/antiseptic taste. Something having to do with the fermentation process, I believe.

·
-
11,412 Posts
i've had some smell like incense sticks before, like an H. Up #2 (best smelling cigar i've had), but none have ever tasted like that to me.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I've had it happen with several cigars. I believe it is part of the sick period. Monte #2's have had periods where they will do this. Iv'e also experienced this with R.A. C.G. I just had this happen recently, but I can't remember what I was smoking. :confused:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yeah, I've had a similar experience with the Principe!

It wasn't so off-putting to me...more like a mild floral aroma, kinda like light incense. I'm no expert, but the smell of ammonia/sickness is not quite the same as this.

Try the La Punta torps instead, a way better and richer vitola imho.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I suspect that the roller had used to much perfume the day he/she rolled the cigar... maybe thats the answer...

·
Registered
234 Posts
I'm surprised. One thing I love about San Cristobals is their aroma.

Are you BSing about the roller wearing perfume, or is that possible?

Joe

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I think it has something to do with the sick period. I've had several batches of Monte #2's do this. If you wait it will go away. Ammonia is one of many by-products of fermentation. Sometimes you can smell some ammonia on a cigar that is not lit, but I have never smelled ammonia on a sick cigar thats burning. The sick period can do some strange things to cigars. They don't always taste bad, sometimes just kind of bland and weak. The Part D4 is a good example of this.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Fredster said:
I think it has something to do with the sick period. I've had several batches of Monte #2's do this. If you wait it will go away. Ammonia is one of many by-products of fermentation. Sometimes you can smell some ammonia on a cigar that is not lit, but I have never smelled ammonia on a sick cigar thats burning. The sick period can do some strange things to cigars. They don't always taste bad, sometimes just kind of bland and weak. The Part D4 is a good example of this.
Im sticking to my theory that its perfume... Lady perfume to be specific... I cant think of anything else that smells like this than perfume... Very hard for me to believe in anything else.. I sent two of these (SCdLH El Principe) to MoTheMan, lets hear what he has to say about it... (Hope it just was one that smelled funny by the way!)

You have to get more proof to get me convinced about the theory about it being sick/ammonia...

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
El Rey del Mundo said:
Im sticking to my theory that its perfume... Lady perfume to be specific... I cant think of anything else that smells like this than perfume... Very hard for me to believe in anything else.. I sent two of these (SCdLH El Principe) to MoTheMan, lets hear what he has to say about it... (Hope it just was one that smelled funny by the way!)

You have to get more proof to get me convinced about the theory about it being sick/ammonia...
Well, I had cigars that I bought (Monte #2's) on 3 different occasions, and the cigars did not have the perfume smell or taste when I go them. At some point, they started to get that smell. After more aging it dissapeared. I think thats pretty good proof, but who knows? ;)

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sherlock Holmes is back... I think the mystery is solved...

I smoked a Padron Anniversary 1964 Maduro El Principe a couple of minutes ago... And I started to sniff a little bit extra and noticed/detected the same type of scent/smell... I think it has to do something with that Ive been using a new kind of perfumed soap... Non of this problem occured before this when I used a non-perfumed soap to wash my hands with... The smell of perfume from my hand(s) was probably so strong that it ruined my first San Cristobal de La Haban El Principe yesterday... Probably the same story with some of those El Rey del Mundos I smoked a couple of years ago... :)

To be continued.... :r

·
Registered
234 Posts
Let that be a lesson to you: Don't use soap. To be safe, you might want to consider never washing again. That's why my cigars don't smell like perfume, just horsesh*t. :D

Ah, the trials one endures in search of a perfect cigar experience.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
DaveC said:
wtf is this perfume stuff?

look, if you cross dress at nite be sure to close the humidor before u spray that crap on yourself.
Good tip and insight. Sounds like you speak from experience. :gn :D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts