Cigar Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
An ass, not a fish
Joined
·
4,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, I've smoked a few cubans.....back when I was a Canadian citizen living in Canada. Although I see Rumsfeld getting handed a R&J Churchill from Saddam's stash on TV, it is illegal for him to have it even in Iraq and illegal for me to have them here. So I smoke NCs...... :D

But I'll tell you something....there are NC cigars that I personally prefer to smoke over Cubans. I'm thinking AF Anejos, Gran Habano No. 5s, and LGCRs. But to be honest, there really aren't that many that I would pick up instead of a Cuban if I had a choice. But damned tough draws have ruined more than a few Cubans for me. To the point that I'm almost gun shy to pick up a big Cuban (I keep my doors at 65%).

Are there NC cigars that you think give Cubans a run for the money? I'm not thinking of thirty dollar camachos or other ridiculously priced smokes, but cigars that are in the 5-15 dollar range. Padron annys, VSGs ... others????

:SM
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,745 Posts
My fav. Domestics (today) are:

1. Padron 1926 N # 6
2. Opus X pick a size
3. Padron 1964 imp M
4. Olivia Master Blends Churchill
5. K Hansottia Gold - Toro

How they compare to ISOM's well I'm one deep on that category so far and it was better than any of the above. Caveat found out from the B52 driver that it was 4-5 years old. I don't have a stick in the humi older than 1 year. Age seems to make a big difference.

Maybe someone who has aged domestics could give a better opinion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
882 Posts
Domestics that give Cubans a run for the money would be subjective to the individule but in my opinion there a few. I love Opus X, AF Anejos, AVO XO, K Hansottia Gold - Toro, and Ashton VSG and aged madoros. I would put any of these up with cubans. In fact, with age on any of them I would pick them over most cubans that I have smoked. Then again this was just my opinion, I hope this helps out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
382 Posts
I had a Comacho SLR that in a blind taste test I would have sworn that it was a cuban. Had a tight draw and everything! I think it might have just been one of those days where anything would have tasted like a cuban though. :D
 

·
Still Smitty's biotch!
Joined
·
3,335 Posts
Admittedly the total number of Cubans I have smoked number at about a box worth. Maybe I have not yet had the right one to suit my tastes. Off the top I my head I can think of the following cigars which I would prefer to any of the Cubans I have smoked to date.

1) Padrón 1964 Anniversary
2) Padrón 1926 Anniversary
3) AF Anejo
4) AF Opus
5) AF Don Carlos
6) AF Chateau Cuban Beli
7) AF Hemmingway Maduros
8) CAO Brazilia
9) Bucanero Salsa
10) Bucanero Z
11) Ashton VSG
12) La Aurora 100 Anos
13) La Aurora Preferido Maduro Sun Grown
14) Fonseca Don Anteros Cabinet (not the same as VdF Anteros)
15) Graycliff Black Label Espresso
16) Graycliff Pearl Label Crystal
17) La Perla Habana Black Pearl Rojo
18) TTT Trinidad Maduro
19) Cuesta-Rey Centro Fino Sungrown


-Matt-
 

·
Punch Suckling in Brain
Joined
·
1,116 Posts
I don't know if you can compare them in an apples to apples way. The CAO Brazilla I would smoke as many as you gave me, but would I trade that for a Monte #2. No way. Flavor is just different.

The AF Anjeo Shark was the one cigar that I would consider, that is one phenominal smoke.
 

·
Still Smitty's biotch!
Joined
·
3,335 Posts
Haven't Had a Monte #2 yet. Like I said maybe I haven't had the right one. I had my favorite ISOM to date on Thursday and I don't know what it was (unbanded and gifted and I forget who gave it to ask! :mad: ) Saved some pics of it to hopefully help in identifying it, darker than most ISOMs save for ELs, it is considerably lighter than the HDM 2k3 EL I have.



Had a bunch with the "ED" ring, still don't know which brand is brought in with that ring on them. Also smoked several JLP, (Habana) Fonsecas, and VR Famosos. Needless to say I am just scratching the surface.

-Matt-

Funnymantrip said:
I don't know if you can compare them in an apples to apples way. The CAO Brazilla I would smoke as many as you gave me, but would I trade that for a Monte #2. No way. Flavor is just different.

The AF Anjeo Shark was the one cigar that I would consider, that is one phenominal smoke.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,118 Posts
I love my Cuban cigars, but I could just as easily pick up any Padron, Opus X, Don Carlos or LFD. I think the LFD's are the most underrated cigar out there right now, I can't say that I've ever had a bad one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
803 Posts
txmatt said:
Haven't Had a Monte #2 yet. Like I said maybe I haven't had the right one. I had my favorite ISOM to date on Thursday and I don't know what it was (unbanded and gifted and I forget who gave it to ask! :mad: ) Saved some pics of it to hopefully help in identifying it, darker than most ISOMs save for ELs, it is considerably lighter than the HDM 2k3 EL I have.



Had a bunch with the "ED" ring, still don't know which brand is brought in with that ring on them. Also smoked several JLP, (Habana) Fonsecas, and VR Famosos. Needless to say I am just scratching the surface.

-Matt-
I recieved a stick from some "Stooge" on the boards that looks much like that with the "ED" band. I was told it's a Punch Punch.
 

·
Still Smitty's biotch!
Joined
·
3,335 Posts
DonJefe said:
I love my Cuban cigars, but I could just as easily pick up any Padron, Opus X, Don Carlos or LFD. I think the LFD's are the most underrated cigar out there right now, I can't say that I've ever had a bad one.
I really like LfD's el Jocko #1; its probably my favorite little figurado right now. I like them even more that the frequently praised AF Short Stories. The Double Ligero series is also great, but I still need to "prepare" to smoke one of those bad boys.

-Matt-
 

·
Still Smitty's biotch!
Joined
·
3,335 Posts
Gargamel said:
I recieved a stick from some "Stooge" on the boards that looks much like that with the "ED" band. I was told it's a Punch Punch.
Thanks for the info Gargamel!!!

So are most "ED" Habano Punch or can they be other brands? The one I had the picture was unbanded, not "ED".

Another BOTL said it looked like a PSD4; but the cap was a bit on the sloppy side to be a Partags; at least the party shorts I have had looked better. (the third on this one cap covered the second in many places)
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top