Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about posting this question today because I lit up an Indian Tabac that I use to love but haven't had in several months.

It was good but it wasn't as thrilling as I remember. It could be that I simply have a new favorite NC cigar, that being the Padron x000 series. That's my goto cigar and always makes me happy.

Did I like the Indian Tabac Fire, yeah I did. It wasn't to overpowering as it's a medium-mild smoke so it was perfect for early in the day, it didn't taste "as good" as I remember them being. Still a darn good cigar and I enjoyed it, but it just didn't thrill me like it once did.

I would absolutely reccomend the Fire's to BOTL's.

Anyway, have any of you guys smoked a cigar lately, which you haven't smoked in a while but use to "Love", that just didn't live up to the memories you have of smoking it in the past, and which ones were they?

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
To be honest my goto cigars have been the same for a while and while I like to try to new things my go to cigars from yesteryear are still my thrillers.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Let me start by stating, I am still a newbie to this hobby. :tu

In my starting days, I purchased many Perdomo Frescos because they were economical and I am a young college guy. I remember loving these smokes! However, recently, I purchased another four to fill out my humi a little more and had one about a week and a half ago. Was not the Fresco I remembered. :tg

The Lot 23, on the other hand, is a different story!

Now, if I'm looking for a nice cheaper smoke, my go-to would definately be an Oliva Serie G.

·
no..not THAT Dave!
13,657 Posts
AF 858 natural. I cut my cigar teeth on those and like enjoy them...

·
Registered
688 Posts
My favorite "old" cigar is the Oliva Original Bold with the silk band. I've started conserving them to twice a month, but I think they are getting better.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I should have posted this question and included a poll, but whatcha gonna do.

I'm thinking that the more different varieties of cigars one smokes the more your taste can change. Probably having a more "educated palatte" gives you a better idea of what to look for in a cigar as opposed to the starting days.

I also think that it's a great idea for those just starting out with cigars to cut their teeth on NC that have a good all around flavor and then slowly explore other smokes.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Anyway, have any of you guys smoked a cigar lately, which you haven't smoked in a while but use to "Love", that just didn't live up to the memories you have of smoking it in the past, and which ones were they?
Absolutely. Partly, tastes can change. But mainly, I think when you're first headed down the slope, your universe of known cigars is much smaller. A cigar that was once a big fish in a small pond may now be surpassed many times over by much better cigars that you've sampled -- or at least, cigars that are more appealing to you.

I still like virtually all the cigars that I "loved" in the past, just not so much, now that I've found others that are more suited to my taste buds.

-Ken

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
I was pretty much Hoyo/Punch, Maria Mancini, Fuente until I got here. Then some nice people bombed me and my horizons have widened considerably. I'm using all my old faves for my own bombs now becuase they're good but I'm liking the new stuff at this time.

MCS

·
Registered
262 Posts
When i started, there were only a fraction of the brands that are out there now. My go to sticks then were Partagas and Punch. Today they are still good and consistent, but lack what i look for now.....tatuaje!

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
depends for me - NC, way back in the day, i loved the ashton no. 20 maduro. now, meh. don't really even like maduros much anymore. CC, have had a 15 year love affair with RGL, BBF, Siglos (all, pretty much), RyJ Churchill and PSD4.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Hoyo De Monterey still gets me...as a brand. I am keen on HDM Expresso. Partagas has a hold. The split of HDN just opened up more cigars...Padron is a must. HDM and Partagas took my tastes in the 70's and 80's.:ss

·
Registered
532 Posts
Some of my 1st favorites I don't smoke anymore because they have been replaced as I try more, but some of the first are still cigars that I love and are in my rotation. An example is AF Short Story. It was in an AF sampler that was the first purchase I made.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
I don't think that my old favorites still thrill as they did when first smoked but many of them have become reliable friends that still give me a good smoke when I return to them.

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
I still enjoy some of the cigars I first smoked such as Punch, HDM, Montecristo, and AF 8-5-8. My tastes have expanded as I try different sticks, but the classics still satisfy.

·
Pro Donkey
2,399 Posts
I always like revisiting an old friend from time to time. Keeps the palette fresh.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've found that when a cigar absolutely amazes me the first time I have it, I can never seem to recapture the same taste and experience a second time.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Favorites that can stand the test of time become classics.
I am still smoking Padrons and am still loving them.
:tu
Padrons were not the first cigars I tried but they are certianly my goto cigar for many moons now. :tu

Some of my 1st favorites I don't smoke anymore because they have been replaced as I try more, but some of the first are still cigars that I love and are in my rotation. An example is AF Short Story. It was in an AF sampler that was the first purchase I made.
I think that when you start with a cigar like anything from the Fuente line, you're bound to like it and continue to like it because it's a darn good cigar and has something to offer for everyone.

I've found that when a cigar absolutely amazes me the first time I have it, I can never seem to recapture the same taste and experience a second time.
I've noticed this too and it's a shame but sometimes that is exactly the way it goes.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts