Cigar Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering about the direction in which the wrappers are applied to cigars. When I light a cigar I always turn it counterclockwise in my mouth with my left hand to get a even light and sometimes the wrapper starts to come off because it is wrappered in the opposite direction. Is there a old rule that says a cigar wrapper should be put on in one direction only.

Thinks Bill

·
Pravi Kralj
231 Posts
I dont think it matters honestly. I've never heard anything that suggests otherwise either. I would go with what works best for you.

·
BUGGER!!!!!!!
3,660 Posts
WBill said:
Just wondering about the direction in which the wrappers are applied to cigars. When I light a cigar I always turn it counterclockwise in my mouth with my left hand to get a even light and sometimes the wrapper starts to come off because it is wrappered in the opposite direction. Is there a old rule that says a cigar wrapper should be put on in one direction only.

Thinks Bill
how much of the cap are you clipping off ??....if you clip too much it allows the wrapper to come loose

·
Can walk again.
8,205 Posts
SDmate said:
how much of the cap are you clipping off ??....if you clip too much it allows the wrapper to come loose
:tpd: Sounds like you are cutting too much. It shouldn't matter the direction of the roller.

:ms NCRM

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I'm mistaken please correct me but I have noticed that with all cigars without exception, if you are looking at the cap, the wrappers are put on in a counterclockwise manner. I haven,t found one cigar where the wrapper is put on clockwise.

Bill

·
Registered
156 Posts
I actually discussed this in an episode of the DWSC. You see, there is a right way and a wrong way to rotate your cigar when lighting it. And it is not the same direction for al cigars. You might think that the direction the wrapper is wrapped around the cigar is due to the roller being right or left handed but not so. it is actually due to the side of the wrapper leaf that they use. The wrapper leaves may be taken from either the left or the right side of the leaf. Sometimes they use both sides of the leaf and then you see a vein in the wrapper. However, when using only one side of the leaf, the roller will roll the cigar either clockwise or counter to use the straight edge of the leaf as a guide. Rotating your cigar in the wrong direction can cause irreperable damage so you must look to see which way the cigar is rolled and rotate in a complimentary direction. Lighting in the wrong diretion can cause an uneven burn or even burn the filler and binder in the wrong order causing a bitter taste. ot to mention that rotasting aginst the wrapper may cause it to come loose....
:r

·
Registered
156 Posts
WBill said:
If I'm mistaken please correct me but I have noticed that with all cigars without exception, if you are looking at the cap, the wrappers are put on in a counterclockwise manner. I haven,t found one cigar where the wrapper is put on clockwise.

Bill
Some cigars are wrapped clockwise. Dale watched 2 rollers in Ybor city, each took one half of the wrapper leaf and then rolled the cigar in opposite directions to use the straight edge as a guide.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
It depends on whether I'm north or south of the equator. If I'm unsure, I go flush the toilet to remind me which way it should be.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
DWSC_Bob said:
Some cigars are wrapped clockwise. Dale watched 2 rollers in Ybor city, each took one half of the wrapper leaf and then rolled the cigar in opposite directions to use the straight edge as a guide.
I was just gonna mention the DWSC show about the "right" way to light the cigar and rotate!

·
Yeah, yeah... It's me...
958 Posts
I thought one way was for girls and the other way was for boys.... like button shirts...

·
Bayou Bengal of Jungle
1,994 Posts
DWSC_Bob said:
I actually discussed this in an episode of the DWSC. You see, there is a right way and a wrong way to rotate your cigar when lighting it. And it is not the same direction for al cigars. You might think that the direction the wrapper is wrapped around the cigar is due to the roller being right or left handed but not so. it is actually due to the side of the wrapper leaf that they use. The wrapper leaves may be taken from either the left or the right side of the leaf. Sometimes they use both sides of the leaf and then you see a vein in the wrapper. However, when using only one side of the leaf, the roller will roll the cigar either clockwise or counter to use the straight edge of the leaf as a guide. Rotating your cigar in the wrong direction can cause irreperable damage so you must look to see which way the cigar is rolled and rotate in a complimentary direction. Lighting in the wrong diretion can cause an uneven burn or even burn the filler and binder in the wrong order causing a bitter taste. ot to mention that rotasting aginst the wrapper may cause it to come loose....
:r
Wow I found this very informative, thx bro!

·
Registered
1 Posts

Bill
You are correct. Therefore the cigar is rolled in the opposite direction, or clockwise, to eliminate any air pockets and better "seal" the wrapper to the cigar.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
This has to be a record...a 15 year old zombie thread

·
Super Moderator
8,286 Posts
You are correct. Therefore the cigar is rolled in the opposite direction, or clockwise, to eliminate any air pockets and better "seal" the wrapper to the cigar.
Not quite true. I think you are mistaking the resulting clockwise/counter-clockwise (CW/CCW) rotational direction with the necessity of the leaf spiral being applied starting from the foot so that the overlap allows the wrapper to remain tight as you smoke, preventing unraveling.

For right-handed Torcederas it's clearly easiest to spiral towards their right hand as they apply the wrapper, rolling away from their body. Occasionally you will find a cigar with the wrapper applied in the opposite, clockwise direction. Presumably those are made by left-handed rollers, though I suspect most southpaws are taught the more typical RH way even if it's against their natural tendency.

The same happens with cigar labels. Most are applied CCW as seen from the cap. But once in a while you'll find one that goes CW.

·
THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG!
28,632 Posts
This has to be a record...a 15 year old zombie thread
Errrrrrr i dunno some of those Cello on Cello off threads.
Get revived all the time.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Super Moderator
16,709 Posts
Most new members don't look at the date of the last posted. They find a thread where they think they can contribute to our community and they post. That's what we're looking for around here. No need for us usuals to push em back into just reading and not participating.

With the new system this will be happening more frequently. So we need to adjust our comments towards these necro threads getting brought back to life.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bird-Dog
1 - 19 of 19 Posts