Cigar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Chimpus herfustus
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When people talk about wine, they always talk about the year the grapes were grown. "Oh, yes, this cab is a wonderful '92 vintage, blah, blah, blah." My question is this: are there "good years" for cigars grown in certain areas? Cuban cigars are much more likely for this since the tobacco is grown in a less diverse area as opposed to a domestic smoke that could have leaves from all over the world. Also, I guess that the wrapper could be 3 years old, the binder 1 year, and the filler 6 months. I see people's posts about '95 Partagas and am wondering if that is in reference to how long that individual has been aging them or if that is the year of production and it happened to be a good year for tobacco growing. Also, since climatic conditions effect the outcome of tobacco growth, how do manufacturers ensure a consistent product year after year? I don't think that they can!

:D SB

·
Registered
68 Posts
I was wondering that myself. I can't wait to see what some of the "experienced" guys have to say about this. I'd love to get pointed in the direction of something extordinary.

Phil

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
I see people's posts about '95 Partagas and am wondering if that is in reference to how long that individual has been aging them or if that is the year of production and it happened to be a good year for tobacco growing.
On virtually every box of Havanas, the mfg. date appears coded on the bottom of the box. (ie: NISU which translates to 12/98)

Cuba has some of the most constant climates year in & year out. What plagues Havana cigars more so than conditions the tobacco is grown in, is the consistancy in which they are rolled. For years (1998-2001) Habanos SA thought that sheer production numbers were more important than quality, so the amount of plugged, badly rolled, and inconsistant boxes were more abundant than say before & after that time frame. Thats not to say that any boxes rolled in that time frame were bad, but it was a crap shoot.
In 2001 they listened to all the complaints & since then, they are more focused on quality than quantity. The 2002 & 2003 cigars out of Havana for the most part are wonderful.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Kelly....... you just know WAY TO MUCH lol...... I'm looking forward to the SoCal Herf V..... already started to save my pennies

Ryan

·
Registered
364 Posts
I've had a few 03 Boli Bonitas that were as good as anything I've tried lately. The 03 PSD3s are insanely good right now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts