Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently moved to Jackson, realistically only 1 store in town. Have found another poorly maintained very small walk-in in a cigarette store that the owners know almost nothing about cigars, which forces me in to the major player to purchase my single sticks. I know, I know... I should have a bigger humidor and buy them by the box online but its' not quite the same. It's lots of fun to go to your local shop and indulge the senses. Anyway, trade there at least once a week and spend 70-100 bucks a visit. Doesn't make me a Warbucks but hey. Anyway this shop doesn't carry cigars that I have never not been able to get in any reasonably well inventoried shop regardless of size. This humidor here approachs 1000 sq ft. Doesn't carry HdN Antanos, or Celebrecion, none of the Alec Bradley offerings. no Flor de Oliva bundles, just to name a few. What they do carry is every high dollar cigar known to man and every flavored cigar on the the planet. When I gently janked them about the flavored cigars their reply was that the flavored cigars was the best selling part of of the market these days. When I asked about the possibility of bringing a box or two of some of my favorites in, was told that they couldn't think about carrying every brand. Now I know they are in the business to make a profit, but I also know that my tastes reflect a large segment of relatively experienced smokers and they would sell my recommendations. I am elitist enough to believe I am right in that regard. Anyway end of rant. Came home with a bunch of their expensive cigars.... I am so weak. Internet tomorrow!!! Frank B

·
Registered
579 Posts
so, uh, what did ya get, Frank? :SM

FrankB said:
Recently moved to Jackson, realistically only 1 store in town. Have found another poorly maintained very small walk-in in a cigarette store that the owners know almost nothing about cigars, which forces me in to the major player to purchase my single sticks. I know, I know... I should have a bigger humidor and buy them by the box online but its' not quite the same. It's lots of fun to go to your local shop and indulge the senses. Anyway, trade there at least once a week and spend 70-100 bucks a visit. Doesn't make me a Warbucks but hey. Anyway this shop doesn't carry cigars that I have never not been able to get in any reasonably well inventoried shop regardless of size. This humidor here approachs 1000 sq ft. Doesn't carry HdN Antanos, or Celebrecion, none of the Alec Bradley offerings. no Flor de Oliva bundles, just to name a few. What they do carry is every high dollar cigar known to man and every flavored cigar on the the planet. When I gently janked them about the flavored cigars their reply was that the flavored cigars was the best selling part of of the market these days. When I asked about the possibility of bringing a box or two of some of my favorites in, was told that they couldn't think about carrying every brand. Now I know they are in the business to make a profit, but I also know that my tastes reflect a large segment of relatively experienced smokers and they would sell my recommendations. I am elitist enough to believe I am right in that regard. Anyway end of rant. Came home with a bunch of their expensive cigars.... I am so weak. Internet tomorrow!!! Frank B

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just for you Magno, a Perdomo estate seleccion, a Perdomo cabinet La Tradicion Torpedo, an Oliva Masterblend Torpedo, A La Flor Dominica natural chisel, A Punch Grand Cru Torpedo, a CAO Italia Gondola torpedo, the Rocky Patel sungrown,and a Camacho which for the life of me I cant remember, but is unbanded and approx 6 inches in length,fatter in the middle than on the ends, and should be a corojo. Smoked in the past and liked alot. All and all I think a fair choice of cigars. If you haven't figured it out yet the torps are my favorite shape. Always seem to smoke better. Frank B

·
Registered
579 Posts
What did they charge ya for the Perdomo ES? I always got a kick out of how much ole Jim at Cavalier used to charge for one of those.... $11!!!!

Sorry 'bout the selection. If you want I can pick up some stuff for ya at either Bob's or Jack's and you can send me cash.

FrankB said:
Okay so they wern't the most expensive cigars in the shop, but for a workin' schmo! Frank B

·
What would Skeeter do?
4,202 Posts
Frank,
I'm just a regular working stiff & I think dropping $70-100 a week in a cigar store would give me a bit of juice with these guys. Maybe that's not a lot of money to some people, but it is to me.
You could bid on fivers & samplers at cigar bid &, at that rate, have a whole room full of nice smokes in a couple of months.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I gotta agree with old Hat. I know my 70-100 bucks a week is much appreciated by my regular guy, and he takes good care of me.

kansashat said:
Frank,
I'm just a regular working stiff & I think dropping $70-100 a week in a cigar store would give me a bit of juice with these guys. Maybe that's not a lot of money to some people, but it is to me.
You could bid on fivers & samplers at cigar bid &, at that rate, have a whole room full of nice smokes in a couple of months.

·
Still Smitty's biotch!
3,335 Posts
FrankB said:
Just for you Magno, a Perdomo estate seleccion, a Perdomo cabinet La Tradicion Torpedo, an Oliva Masterblend Torpedo, A La Flor Dominica natural chisel, A Punch Grand Cru Torpedo, a CAO Italia Gondola torpedo, the Rocky Patel sungrown,and a Camacho which for the life of me I cant remember, but is unbanded and approx 6 inches in length,fatter in the middle than on the ends, and should be a corojo. Smoked in the past and liked alot. All and all I think a fair choice of cigars. If you haven't figured it out yet the torps are my favorite shape. Always seem to smoke better. Frank B
Looks like a decent selection. I am similar to you in the way I now have expectations for a cigar shop's humidor. Hopefully you can find some more shops (if they exist) in your area.

-Matt-

·
Registered
727 Posts
I am ringing in with Magno and Hat. You are spending a fair amount of money in there. They either have way too much power in the market (probably the case), or they just have too much pride. I am sorry you arent having good experiences there. If you are ever in Atlanta, I will take you to a good shop with a wide variety and great service.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I have to agree with Kansashat. I would think any shop would love to have a customer base that spends 70-100 bucks a week and would work with them to make sure they keep them. With a humidor the size that they have, I would think they would be more receptive to ya. If not, the Cigarbid suggestion sounds good to me.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Frank,

Sorry to hear that. I have been lucky and have several good shops within a 20 mile radius here in Phoenix. I will say that I have a couple of shops that seemed more interested in just the sale today and not helping me understand this new hobby in which over time I am sure will cost a few bucks. I find that with Cigars the real way to get a loyal customer is not only good prices but also establishing a relationship as much as possible and paying attention to the service part of "Customer Service".

I will now give another plug to all of you here at CS:

So far I have met a great group of people here that only care about sharing this passion for Cigars with friends and more importantly complete strangers who will one day become friends through this show of respect and desire to learn.

DsrtDog (just my thoughts after a week or so on the forum thanks again to you all).

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DSRTDOG, What is kinda sad to me is that the guys in this particular shop are knowledgeable about cigars but dont want to expend the time or energy to know me. I am a new guy on the block , so to speak, and I can wander around in there without any of the staff approaching me to offer any help. Not a newbie and generally have a plan when I get there, but it is nice to think they care about your business. Have been in this shop 4-5 times in last month and have never had one of the staff ask if they could help me. This place has been around for years so they must have a strong client base and new customers are just langiappe for them. What they need is competition, but not sure this town could support 2 high end smoke shops. Somebody with deep pockets and time could possibly bust their chops.Frank B

·
Yeah, yeah... It's me...
958 Posts
FrankB said:
DSRTDOG, What is kinda sad to me is that the guys in this particular shop are knowledgeable about cigars but dont want to expend the time or energy to know me. I am a new guy on the block , so to speak, and I can wander around in there without any of the staff approaching me to offer any help. Not a newbie and generally have a plan when I get there, but it is nice to think they care about your business. Have been in this shop 4-5 times in last month and have never had one of the staff ask if they could help me. This place has been around for years so they must have a strong client base and new customers are just langiappe for them. What they need is competition, but not sure this town could support 2 high end smoke shops. Somebody with deep pockets and time could possibly bust their chops.Frank B
Customer Service... a lost art... I have 3 shops where I live, spend less time and money (buy off the net!!!!!) and get treated better than you at any of the three. :c

·
Registered
727 Posts
FrankB said:
Wow, that is a shame. I have some of the best customer service out of any place I go to at the local cigar shops. They take care of me, even though I am a young smoker with a small budget. Do they even know your name?

·
-
11,412 Posts
isn't that camacho called a "liberty" or "11/18"??
i don't know, really. iv'e seen them, they look awesome, but every camacho i've had has forced me to toss it out the window after about an inch (that's all i could take of that harsh dirt flavor). a lot of guys love 'em, they just aren't for me, but they sure do look good, like a cuban from cab with a weight problem.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
TheSmokingHiker said:
Wow, that is a shame. I have some of the best customer service out of any place I go to at the local cigar shops. They take care of me, even though I am a young smoker with a small budget. Do they even know your name?
Know my name... never bothered to ask me or introduced themselves. Frank B

·
Registered
546 Posts
The worst I can remember was a shop in Austin, TX. I went in, dressed nice, looked around to get a feel for the humidor, and he comes up to me and says, "Sorry, we don't sell Phillies or Black and Milds." I just turned around, looked at him and told him that I had been smoking cigars for 11 years, at the time, had worked at a rival cigar shop for 6 years, and was hoping to buy a box of Hoyo Excalibur 1066. Needless to say he turned beet-red with embarassment, apologized profusely, and left me alone as I left to go somewhere else.

Ahhh, stupidity....where will it end?

Grinch OUT!!!

·
An ass, not a fish
4,476 Posts
dagrinch said:
The worst I can remember was a shop in Austin, TX. I went in, dressed nice, looked around to get a feel for the humidor, and he comes up to me and says, "Sorry, we don't sell Phillies or Black and Milds." I just turned around, looked at him and told him that I had been smoking cigars for 11 years, at the time, had worked at a rival cigar shop for 6 years, and was hoping to buy a box of Hoyo Excalibur 1066. Needless to say he turned beet-red with embarassment, apologized profusely, and left me alone as I left to go somewhere else.

Ahhh, stupidity....where will it end?

Grinch OUT!!!
Holy crap, that was harsh. My local shop is great, I'm working on them carrying Gran Habanos.....we'll see....

·
Registered
207 Posts
I've posted similar to this before, but as a long-hair in my mid 30s I get weird vibes in many cigar shops. I tend to get followed around by the staff like I'm a shoplifter, the patrons tend to dismiss me. I had an owner get mad at me one time for politely declining a free Macanudo promotion, like I need another Macanudo I'll never smoke taking up space in my humidor.

That said, this is why I love CS and tend to make major purchases on the internet.

bd

·
Registered
344 Posts
I cant imagine what these people are actually thinking. In my shop, i know all of the regulars that come in, and if they ask for something, even if its something just to try, i get it in. but then again, i know a shop in Mnpls that doesnt do dick but high end, and is run by a busty broad who doesnt know a damn thing :cool: i have people that come in and drop 50 a week, but because they are arrogent assholes and complain about everything in there, i dont give them the time of day. but let me say this, if you drop 70-100 in my store on a weekly basis, i would greatly appreciate it and cant understand why anyone wouldnt. Hope your next experience is a good one

...kjpman

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.