Cigar Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all-
i just moved my coolerdor down to a new room in the basement. after a full day down there it looks like the temperature is going to be in the low 60's. one said 61 and the other said 64 degrees. so definitely low 60's.
is that too cold? should i relocate it back upstairs where it stays significantly warmer? all my other humis are staying upstairs, but they look like nice pieces of furniture, and she doesnt seem to mind them :D

any input is greatly appreciated.
thanx
jimmy

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I keep all my stuff in the basement now. It runs around 65 degrees and 65% rh and I've not noticed any problems.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Jimmy

For what it's worth, I would encourage you to go with the lower temps particularly for long term storage. See if Rick will trade with you for a couple of sticks. You'll find that his refrigerated sticks not only hold their bouquet better but age with more complexity as well.

I do also feel that consistancy is just as important as temp...if you are going to go with the lower temps, try to maintain your sticks constantly at those temps.

Lamar

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
All mu humidors are in my basement. In Minnesota this means a constant 65 degrees year round. I find my cigars age beautifully at this temp. I also love the peace of mind one gets knowing those little beetles won't hatch at this temp!

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanx everyone for the replies. i keep seeing the number 65 thrown around as a temperature in the basements. mine seemed to be about 61-64, a few degrees lower.
is the lower 60's also a safe bet on temperatures?
thanx
jimmy

·
Registered
272 Posts
The "walkin" (work room) hovers around 60 in the winter. No problems. In fact, I was advised this is a good thing. With lower temps I get lower RH so I have to add more water or sometimes PG but it's no problem.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts