Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I every once in a while get really sick to my stomach after smoking a cigar. Almost feels like being really hungover with out the headache. I don't ever inhale and try to keep the second hand smoke away from me as much as possible. I'll usually drink coffee or a coke with my cigar.

I am pretty sure Im just getting a overdose of nicotine that I am not used too, but what could I do to keep me from getting sick?

The last Cigar that made me sick was a HDM Excalibur III Maduro. I really like the taste of strong cigars, just not the aftereffects.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Try purging your cigar as you smoke it. This is something I learned on this website meself :D Basically you put flame to the smoke and lightly blow out through the cigar. You will get a really cool blue flame out of the foot of the cigar. I will purge a strong cigar about three times and you can tell when it needs a purge because the flavor gets a little bitter. Hope this helps

T

·
Shags homely sheep
5,059 Posts
summerkc said:
I am pretty sure Im just getting a overdose of nicotine that I am not used too, but what could I do to keep me from getting sick?

Any suggestions?
The nicotine is the plants way of keeping insects from munching on it, nicotine makes the insects sick too. The best way to keep from getting sick is to develop a dose tolerance to the nicotine, ie, smoke more often but less each time, or cigars with less nicotine, until you get used to it. A lot of people's ratings will warn you by saying the cigar has a high buzz factor, or to only smoke it after a big meal (which also works BTW). Almost everybody's been there :p

·
Chimpus herfustus
745 Posts
Yeah, man. I thought I could handle any cigar that came my way until I had to excuse myself from the poker table after 2 Sierra Nevada pale ales and 1 Joya de Nicaragua Antano 1970 churchill! At first the buzz was cool but then soon after I felt like I was going to pass out. He he. :D I then promptly ordered a box. ;)

SB

·
Registered
394 Posts
hahahahahaha...welcome to the wonderful world of cigars! You'll build a tolerance...although it doesn't feel so good at the time.

My first time was with the Joya de Nicaragua Antano--just like Silvrbck--and I, too, promptly bought a box. It happened to me the very next time as well...but not to the same extreme as the first. However, I'm not affected at all now--except to be taken aback by the extreme flavor.

Hoss

·
Registered
221 Posts
partagaspete said:
Try purging your cigar as you smoke it. This is something I learned on this website meself :D Basically you put flame to the smoke and lightly blow out through the cigar. You will get a really cool blue flame out of the foot of the cigar. I will purge a strong cigar about three times and you can tell when it needs a purge because the flavor gets a little bitter. Hope this helps

T
Hmmm...I had heard of 'purging' before but never really knew when it was most appropriate. I have to wonder though, doesn't this detract from the cigar ultimately? As I was just getting into this hobby, I read everywhere that you *never* blow into the cigar, with the exception of just after lighting to balance the draw. Is that just old-fogey cigar practice, and purging is really a good thing??

·
Registered
394 Posts
kscotty said:
Hmmm...I had heard of 'purging' before but never really knew when it was most appropriate. I have to wonder though, doesn't this detract from the cigar ultimately? As I was just getting into this hobby, I read everywhere that you *never* blow into the cigar, with the exception of just after lighting to balance the draw. Is that just old-fogey cigar practice, and purging is really a good thing??
KScotty:

we probably read the same materials. I thought the same thing--never blow into the cigar. I have read a few posts regarding purging now and this was the first that I had heard that you actually put the flame TO the cigar as you blow out. Interesting stuff.

·
Registered
394 Posts
partagaspete said:

T
OK...just did it. Smoking a Bahia maduro and it's about halfway gone. Even though it wasn't extinguished, went through the following checklist:

halfway though - check
flame to the smoke - check
lightly blow - check
cool blue flame - check (that IS pretty cool)

You know...the cigar does seem to taste a little more crisp. I don't know if this is my imagination at work here, but maybe there IS something to this purging thing.

What on earth causes that large blue flame??

Hoss

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
CigarHoss said:
OK...just did it. Smoking a Bahia maduro and it's about halfway gone. Even though it wasn't extinguished, went through the following checklist:

halfway though - check
lightly blow - check

You know...the cigar does seem to taste a little more crisp. I don't know if this is my imagination at work here, but maybe there IS something to this purging thing.

Hoss
I believe the flame is a result of the nicotine igniting...not sure, but it does work and thats what matters to me :)

T

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the tips, I have been smoking cigars for about 4 years, but I only smoke one maybe every two months or so. I am starting to get into it more and am going to smoke more.

BTW...Can anyone recommend a good tasting mild cigar? I really like the taste of stronger cigars but would like a few to build up my tolerance and for my non-cigar smoking friends to smoke.

Thanks

·
Registered
949 Posts
Yo Summerkc

I posted a little while back that i got sick on an Oliva O maduro to the point where I threw up. Since I have been able to handle those cigar with out incident. But I emailed Oliva and they most Graciously informed me that the O Maduro can have the equivalent Nicotine as 2 packs of Cigarettes. Definitely not a cigar for the feint hearted. I still get a good buzz going from a Padron 1964 Anni every once in a while and almost always from Opus X XXX and Perdomo Estate Selection.

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
Sugar baby, sugar!!

The fastest & best antidote to nicotine toxicity.
Unless , that is, it has already hit you full force, then it may be too late & you'll need to ride it out.

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
MoTheMan said:
Sugar baby, sugar!!

The fastest & best antidote to nicotine toxicity.
Unless , that is, it has already hit you full force, then it may be too late & you'll need to ride it out.
I drink a lot of 7-Up when I smoke; that way I can easily do 2-3 cigars with ony a bit of a buzz. :p

·
-
11,412 Posts
CigarHoss said:

halfway though - check
lightly blow - check

Hoss
no, it is NOT your imagination. it actually is the tars/oils that have built up in the cigar as you smoked it down.

what is really cool is when you smoke a cigar down about an inch and a half, tap off the ash, then light the flame about an inch below and forward of the cigar, then gently blow... i have gotten some HUGE fireballs that have come out and actually made people jump back!!

keep gently blowing out until the flame is about dead.

the next couple of puffs are pure heaven.

we had a big discussion on this early this year, and i can't find the topic now though, otherwise i'd link to it.

i even purge my cheapy mild non-cubans and have tasted noticeable differences.

-------

MO, so you're saying that taking in SUGAR while smoking a cigar will help with the nicotine buzz??

i was wondering how all you guys smoked #s of cigars at herfs. cuz after 1 good cuban, i'm about done for the night... yes, i'm a puss.

·
-
11,412 Posts
oh, forgot to mention the first time i got "sick"... well, okay, 1st and 2nd.

when i wasn't even "new" to cigars, a co-worker gave me a CAO Brazillia torpedo... i attempted to smoke it in my non-smoking hotel room in upstate NY. i was on the 4th floor, so the window cracked a total of 3 inches, so not much airflow.

about halfway down, i had to stop... i went in the bathroom, sat down, put the trash can in front of me and held my head in my hands for about 15 minutes. i then laid down for 2 hours....

the next night, i lit up the other half of the cigar without problem (other than the nasty flavor of re-lighting a non-cuban).

2nd time, i was just getting into cigars on my own, went to the local shop in downtown KC, they helped me pick some things out and told me when i grabbed a big ol' Punch Rare Corojo that i should smoke this on a full stomach.

took it to a BBQ, ate a bunch o' food, sat down and started smoking. once again, about halfway into it, i had to head to the bathroom... loose bowel syndrome... i finished it off though (the cigar, that is).

i have had some other cigars knock my on my ass, but they have been rather large/strong cuban cigars (BBFs in close quarters floor me; and the VR DA i was given to try was so big, i just couldn't finish the last 1.5 inches, so i let coppertop try a few draws on it).

i'm building up a tolerance... now if my wife would build up her tolerance from spending my money so i could buy more, i'd be good to go.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
we had a big discussion on this early this year, and i can't find the topic now though, otherwise i'd link to it.

MO, so you're saying that taking in SUGAR while smoking a cigar will help with the nicotine buzz??

I thought this was the site I learned it at...It works great for me. As far as the sugar thing goes, I'll have to give that a try...

This site ROCKS!

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Everyones tolerance to nicotine is different. I think someone mentioned before, you will build a tolerance like anything else. I only got woosy my first few Cubans, then never had a problem again. I smoke on average a cigar a day, sometimes more if I'm golfing or something. I honestly get no buzz anymore, Cubans, Padrons, Opus's, included. I'm looking forward to trying my first Cohiba reserva, the one that got MoTheMan rocked!

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
Now that I've got everyone's attention, here's the lowdown on sugar & cigars.

I've heard it said from more than one veteran smoker, and I even read it, I believe it was in Cigar Aficionado, an article written by Peter Weller (the actor) where he had travelled to Cuba and was smoking something like 9 cigars a day and mentioned the use of sugar (more on that later). [BTW, if any of you LLG's out there can find this article, please post the URL, I went on a search but came up dry.]

Anyhow, everyone's tolerance of Nicotine is different. Veteran smokers like them strong & flavorful, we all know that, probably because of their high tolerance to Nicotine.

Nicotine is a stimulant that affects the Central Nervous System and Peripheral Nervous System. In high (hard to tolerate doses) it can cause dizziness, lightheadedness, numbness in hands/feet/lips, headaches, double or fuzzy vision, dry mouth, hyperacidity (by the same token, this helps digestion), nausea, vomiting, constipation, diarrhea, chest pains, shortness of breath, muscle twitching and spasms, dry mouth, and generalized weakness. This information is generally available in any book on biochemistry/pharmacology. The most common side effects/symptoms that we, the big cigar lovers & heavy smokers experience, are the ones underlined above. In milder forms, these effects are part of the nice buzz we catch off a cigar.

The problem that some of us face, is that we can get caught off guard and suddenly find ourselves getting sick from too much nicotine. The antidote is SUGAR. In Peter Weller's article (I believe), he noticed how the cubans who smoke cigars often carry a cube of sugar with them for when they start feeling a bit queezy from the smoke. When they do, they just pop the sugar cube into their mouths & let it slowly dissolve. [BTW, in much of Europe & South America, restaurants don't serve sugar in little packets but as individual paper wrapped (so you can carry it in your pocket) sugar cubes]. Taken early on at the first signs of a buzz, a quick shot of sugar into the blood stream quickly reverses the systemic/body effects of Nicotine. I ask some of you to pay attention to what you like to drink when you smoke, I bet most of the LLG's here have something which has some form of simple sugars in it (whether it's wine/port, coffee, soda, mixed drink, etc . . .).

Once you start feeling really sick though, it's sometimes too late and you just have to ride it out. Sometimes a cigar can just sneak up on you like that.

As for me, I like the 7-UP variety of drinks. The fizz helps cleanse my palate so that I can get more taste out of my cigar puffs. The lighter flavor allows me to enjoy the cigar more. The sugar, taken a few sips at a time, helps the minimize the buzz so that I can smoke more than one in a row w/out feeling sick. :D

Well, hope I cleared up that issue some. Would love to hear people's feedback.

MoTheMan
:al

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for that great post, I usually drink coffee with my cigars but I use artificial sweeteners, I'll start just putting suger in it.

BTW, if anyone knows the biological reason for the sugar keeping you from getting sick I would love to know.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.