Cigar Forums banner

Cigar lighter question

1K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  schweiger_schmoke 
#1 ·
As I was lighting a cigar the other day, I thought "why doesn't someone make a lighter that lights the entire foot of the cigar at once"? You know like the cigar lighter in your car/truck. Those little coils get red hot and is just about the perfect ring gauge for lighting a cigar. Wouldn't using a lighter like that give you a better, more even light rather than waving a torch around in circles and spinning the cigar in your mouth?

#3 ·
That would be a great idea. Gas or battery power to heat a large coil. Probably more suited to a table lighter than a pocket because of size.

#6 ·
As I was lighting a cigar the other day, I thought "why doesn't someone make a lighter that lights the entire foot of the cigar at once"? You know like the cigar lighter in your car/truck. Those little coils get red hot and is just about the perfect ring gauge for lighting a cigar. Wouldn't using a lighter like that give you a better, more even light rather than waving a torch around in circles and spinning the cigar in your mouth?
That's why I never light my cigar that way. I always torch the foot with the flame not touching the cigar. I do it in stages -- toast, pause, toast, pause, toast -- until there's a near complete ember. Then, I blow on the foot to get it glowing nice and red before I ever put the head in my mouth. Finally, I give it a quick purge and then a couple of puffs.

Furthermore, the light is an important part of the ritual for me. I don't want to rush that step because it's part of the experience ... part of what gets me ready to actually smoke the darned thing. Maybe I'm alone in that feeling; but I suspect I'm not.

:2

#8 ·
ha! you might be crazy; but if so, I'm right there with ya in Loonyville.
Well, at least we are not lonely, and we enjoy the same lighting ritual! ;P
I actually tend to light the same way you mentioned, toasting it, blowing till there is an ember. however that methodology doesn't work out on a boat or in strong winds without a great torch lighter, so sometimes i am out there puffing and spinning. But if i am going to smoke something premium, it needs to be lit correctly. Enjoy!:ss

#11 ·
Isn't lighting a cigar half of the process / enjoyment of the cigar? The slow tango that one must dance in order to taste the flourish of flavors to come? maybe i am crazy, but that is how i feel. :)
The act of lighting the cigar does nothing for me at all. Then again I smoke 7 to 8 a day and have so forever it seems - so really - I just want the damn thing lit.

If however I only smoked once a week or so - I guess I would have more patience for it all.

Ron

#13 ·
Isn't lighting a cigar half of the process / enjoyment of the cigar? The slow tango that one must dance in order to taste the flourish of flavors to come? maybe i am crazy, but that is how i feel. :)
That's why I never light my cigar that way. I always torch the foot with the flame not touching the cigar. I do it in stages -- toast, pause, toast, pause, toast -- until there's a near complete ember. Then, I blow on the foot to get it glowing nice and red before I ever put the head in my mouth. Finally, I give it a quick purge and then a couple of puffs.

Furthermore, the light is an important part of the ritual for me. I don't want to rush that step because it's part of the experience ... part of what gets me ready to actually smoke the darned thing. Maybe I'm alone in that feeling; but I suspect I'm not.

:2
Well, at least we are not lonely, and we enjoy the same lighting ritual! ;P
I actually tend to light the same way you mentioned, toasting it, blowing till there is an ember. however that methodology doesn't work out on a boat or in strong winds without a great torch lighter, so sometimes i am out there puffing and spinning. But if i am going to smoke something premium, it needs to be lit correctly. Enjoy!:ss
Its all about the ritual, each part adds to the experiance, and I am never in that big of a hurry. Good Idea though for those who want to just smoke and go, I'm just not one of those. :tu

#14 ·
The act of lighting the cigar does nothing for me at all. Then again I smoke 7 to 8 a day and have so forever it seems - so really - I just want the damn thing lit.

If however I only smoked once a week or so - I guess I would have more patience for it all.

Ron
I have time for only one a day maybe two, wish I could smoke more.....and then who knows my outlook may change.

#18 ·
That's where all the fun is, the slow burn, achieving the perfect light, that long draw of that new cigar, the first puff. WOW did I say all that. Sounds more like making love to the cigar. :r

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.