Cigar Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope! Try again. There was some stinky derelict there who took offense and asked me to leave.

Plus the club chairs are in really ratty shape.

·
Test Subject
2,651 Posts
After an extensive search, here is the list of places you can smoke in NYC..

1.Your house. (must own house)

2.Your Veh. (must own Veh.)

Jerry in Minnesota.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I do know of the following.

Club Mac
Lexington Bar & Books
The Campbell Apt. at Grand Central
Circa Tabac
Upstairs at Nat Sherman's
Merchants New York East Side
North West upstairs lounge (I think?)

Any others?

·
In Mojita Mania
614 Posts
Actually took a trip to the city two weekends ago on a fact finding mission concerning this very thing.

Club Mac (finished the night here, great time, only disappointment was the fact that they were out of Zacapa)

Lexington Bar & Books (went there, but it does not open until 5:30pm and we were there at like 1pm, so we moved on and never made it back)

The Campbell Apt. at Grand Central (looked in the doors when we first got off the train at Grand Central, but didn't open until 3pm, so we moved on, but you may want to check with them again, as one of the guys at Nat Sherman's had said that he thought they were non cigar friendly as of shortly before we were there)

Circa Tabac
Upstairs at Nat Sherman's (can smoke in the humi upstairs or the little room in the back, which has a flat screen TV on the wall and complimentary coffee. I had my first cigar of the day there (a Davi 1000)
Merchants New York East Side
North West upstairs lounge (I think?) (think the guy at Nat's said they were not allowing here anymore either)

We also visited De La Concha Tobacconist and they have 3 little cafe style tables in the front window and serve espresso, very nice staff and they were happy to let us smoke our own cigars ( I had a Dunhill Atado). Davidoff store was ok too, bought a couple of specially blended davi's for the 5th ave. store only(dominican) and were served complimentary espresso, but the 2 chairs in the front of the store were a little drafty when the door kept opening and closing. Two others that come to mind are The Carnegie Club, which looks like a great place from the outside (it didn't open until early evening I think), but it has live music and looked very comfortable. We never did talk to anybody there, but if they still allow smoking it would be a great place to have a smoke and listen to some music. Lastly, Scores said they are still cigar friendly, so if you like a little "scenery" while having your smoke, you can head over there! LOL

Hope this helps. I plan another trip in and will report back with any new info.

Marc

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Hey, I am flying into New York in June and was wondering if there is anyplace I could grab a smoke in LaGuardia?

:confused:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi Veek,

If you can get an invite to one of Mayor Bloomberg's events you should be able to light up. The rules that apply to everyone else don't apply to the mayor and his cronies.

In a free country like America is supposed to be, you would think a bar/restaurant/hotel owner would be able to decide whether customers can smoke. Why can't there be smoking/non-smoking designations for these establishments. They could pass a law requiring a visible sign if the place is a smoking place. They could require adequate ventilation/air cleaning systems in smoking establishments.

Supposedly, the way the anti-smoking Nazis get around the revocation of yet another one our freedoms is to claim they are protecting the employees who have to breath the smoke. Why can't the workers decide for themselves if they want to work under such conditions? Steelworkers decide to take the risk of working in high places. So do window washers. Workers operate heavy equipment. Some remove asbestos for a living. Police take risks every day they are on the job. Employers are required to take reasonable precautions to make jobs safe for employees. This could easily be accomplished in smoking establishments with ventilation/air cleaning requirements.

There are more health problems related to obesity than smoking. Accordingly, I propose that food should not allowed in public establishments because we have to protect fat asses from themselves.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Thanks for the advice, Dave! Too bad there isn't a lounge.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OpusEx,

Is the Carnegie Club the old Carnegie Bar & Books on 56th between 6th-7th? I passed it the other day in a cab and wasn't sure if you could smoke there.

As for outdoor cafe's, my favorite upper west side Italian, La Grolla (79th-80th and Amsterdam) has outdoor seating where any of you will be able to find me sitting and puffing away after an awsome meal more often not in the near warming futor.:w

·
In Mojita Mania
614 Posts
Veek said:
OpusEx,

Is the Carnegie Club the old Carnegie Bar & Books on 56th between 6th-7th?
Yep I believe it is, I only know it as the current name. If you walk back to 6th Ave. and across the street and left you will see De La Concha tobacconist, which as mentioned wasn't a bad place to sit at the tables in the window, have a smoke and an espresso.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
De La Concha is a decent store though I much prefer Arnolds' on Madison Ave and 42nd. This is the only shop I go to in New York and In a strange way I would feel strange hanging out at another Tobacconist.

Call me old fashioned.

·
In Mojita Mania
614 Posts
Veek said:
De La Concha is a decent store though I much prefer Arnolds' on Madison Ave and 42nd. This is the only shop I go to in New York and In a strange way I would feel strange hanging out at another Tobacconist.

Call me old fashioned.
As a tobacconist myself your loyalty is refreshing to see, but I was only refering to De La Concha because it is a place that has tables and seating to sit down and have a smoke. I stopped at Arnolds as soon as we got out of Grand Central on this trip I just took and the staff was very nice, but it is very small and I didn't see any place to sit and enjoy a smoke?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This is true, I usually just hang out, smoke and chit chat with the guys over an espresso. I wish they had room for a club chair or two but with NYC rents.....:c

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.