Cigar Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i found this on mo's site... never saw it before, but couldn't stop laughing (i don't think it's supposed to be funny). anyway, with SoCal4 right around the corner, i thought i'd post this and let it be known that i will be watching for breaches of this code. so beware :D

In 1967 Zino Davidoff outlined a protocol for smokers in his noted essay for connoisseurs. It is a charter and code for cigar smokers everywhere, and it remains as valid today as when he first wrote it. Among his directives were the following do’s and don'ts:

DON'T

Use a penknife to cut or a lance to pierce the end of the cigar. Touch the flame directly to the foot of the cigar: Instead simply rotate it around the edge till it starts to burn, then puff lightly. Ask someone else for a light ('The lighting of a cigar should be a personal affair'). Light your cigar too quickly or too slowly. Indulge in exhibitionism in lighting or any other aspect of smoking. Relight your cigar if less than one quarter of it is left. Put the cigar in your mouth to relight it. Just scrape off the ash and turn it in the flame for several seconds till it relights. Clench it between your teeth. Get the end of the cigar wet, chew It, slobber on it. Smoke too quickly. Use a cigar holder. Stick a toothpick or matchstick in the end of the cigar to help hold it in your mouth. Dunk your cigar in port or brandy, a habit attributed to Winston Churchill. Smoke while working. Hold a cigar between your index and middle finger. Smoke when you're walking. Smoke more than half the cigar. Put the cigar out by crushing it in an ashtray. Chain-smoke cigars. Mooch.

DO

Warm the foot of the cigar slightly before starting to puff on it. Remove the band carefully after lighting the cigar. Take your time smoking it; a puff a minute is about right. Hold the cigar between your index finger and thumb. Let the cigar die a dignified death; after it's smoked halfway, it will go out on its own. Dispose of the dead cigar discreetly and quickly. Wait at least fifteen minutes between cigars; anything less indicates obsessive behaviour. The important thing to remember is that we cigar aficionados should present ourselves as considerate and understanding individuals. Changing people's preconceived notions and giving the growing numbers of aficionados a good name is well worth that little extra effort.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Don't watch me smoke, I break a few, like the getting the cigar wet and clinching it between my teeth. I leave the band on until it chances getting burned. If the cigar is really good I will attempt a re-light with 1/4 left. Last but not least, I hold my c'gar between my middle/index figers resting on my thumb (just like in my pic below!).

I'm I still allowed to attend?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
cigartexan said:
Don't watch me smoke, I break a few, like the getting the cigar wet and clinching it between my teeth. I leave the band on until it chances getting burned. If the cigar is really good I will attempt a re-light with 1/4 left. Last but not least, I hold my c'gar between my middle/index figers resting on my thumb (just like in my pic below!).

I'm I still allowed to attend?
You can attend, but I will have to take 5 of your cigars to show you how to properly smoke. I will show you how to smoke a 5, 10, 15, 20, and 25 year old cigar.... so make sure you have those available. :D

·
Registered
258 Posts
So i guess holding my slobbery cigar of choice clenched between
my teeth puffing furiously while i water my lawn in front of my house giving my
neighbors the "bird" is all wrong?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i like these in the same paragraph of don'ts

Don't ...
Relight your cigar if less than one quarter of it is left.
Smoke more than half the cigar.

lmao... i think old zino was drinking heavily when he wrote this.

(and i put the don't mooch in just to rile matt... who's probably
honing his mooching skills in front of the mirror as we speak)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Last weekend I had the opportunity to enjoy drinks (no cigars unfortunately) with a friend of a friend who happened to be an Astral rep. He commented about a conversation with Carlos Fuente on an airplane flight, in which they both laughed about some of the crazy cigar etiquette stuff that has been promulgated. It was amusing to hear that Mr. Fuente (literally!!) scoffed at goofy guidelines. Just goes to show that you should smoke however you smoke, as long as you enjoy!!

·
still puffin
1,001 Posts
besides we got a "no snob"policy here...next time anybody sees old zino tell him he aint welcome here.

derrek:) :D ;) :p :cool:

·
Registered
200 Posts
robmcd said:

DO

Wait at least fifteen minutes between cigars; anything less indicates obsessive behaviour.
No problem with this one as it takes me that long to figure out which cigar to smoke next (or is that also obsessive?).

·
Registered
410 Posts
robmcd said:
...Smoke when you're walking...
I'll try to remember this on my daily lunch walk/cigar break ;)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Re: Re: Cigar Etiquette 101

Habana Mike said:
No problem with this one as it takes me that long to figure out which cigar to smoke next (or is that also obsessive?).
:r :w :r

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Whew! I am pleased to finally find out that I can now smoke my Black & Milds with class!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts