Cigar Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to cut one of my Monte Cristo No. 2's and the super cheap cigar cutter I was using just could not cut through it at first. I finally managed to get it to cut through but it took a bit of effort. I ran my thumb across the surfaces of both blades of the cutter and they felt very blunt.... I'm lucky I didn't ruin the end of the cigar....

Since i'm getting into cigars more now should i just go all out and buy myself a decent cutter so I don't have to worry about trying to cut cigars with a blunt cutter in the future? is this a classic case of "you get what you pay for?" the cutter was just a super cheap one i got from my local tobacconist... but since it's dirt cheap should i just replace the cutter with the same one?

it cut fine when i first bought it but once i did 6 or 7 cigars with it that's when i noticed the problem the other day with my Monte no. 2

·
Super Moderator
8,513 Posts
¡Lo barato sale caro!

My Xikar Xi1 started losing it's edge... after 4 or 5 years and about 2,500 cuts! Sent it to the maker for free sharpening - lifetime warranty - they sent me back a brand new one instead.

Reactions: UBC03

·
Registered
123 Posts
¡Lo barato sale caro!

My Xikar Xi1 started losing it's edge... after 4 or 5 years and about 2,500 cuts! Sent it to the maker for free sharpening - lifetime warranty - they sent me back a brand new one instead.
It's just cheaper for them to send a new one then take the time to sharp we n it. Probably requires disassembly.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
Nice. sounds like i might just spend some money and invest in a decent cutter.
The great thing about Xikar warranty is if you find one years old on the ground, they will repair or replace no questions asked. Anything I have sent back they just send me a new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
is this a classic case of "you get what you pay for?"
Yes
should i just replace the cutter with the same one?
No.

Listen, I’m one of the “buy once, cry once” crowd. Why exactly would you repeat the same bad behaviour?? Go get a Colibri. Now, if you just want to fool around and have a backup cutter, take a ball of aluminum foil. Wad it up, and snip through it with your dull cutter. If the blades are just dull enough to need a light honing, this can tune it up.

Worse case, when you find this crappy cutter under the seat of your car when you trade it in, in three years... who cares.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Obviously a good cutter will always be a good investment…however they go dull too and if you want to have a cheap one for traveling I highly suggest rolling aluminum foil the long way into a log and start snipping your way down. I do this with my cutters when I need to sharpen them and it works really well for me.

Hope this helps,

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts