Cigar Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do a lot of business travel and have learned never to trust the airlines with my belongings....so I always pack in a way that lets me carry my luggage on with me. PROBLEM: The airport security folks don't take kindly to cigar cutters of any sort. Knowing there are super sharp ceramic knives in the marketplace, I was wondering if anyone knows about ceramic (or other non-metal) cigar cutters which would not set off airport security alarms?

Otherwise, I'm left to biting my stogies off while on the road, or finding a (usually cheap and dull) cutter to mangle my puros.

Anyone have any insight on this? I would appreciate it.....

thanks! :w

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Considering how much I fly for both work & pleasure, I have found this:

PDF format of items you can & cannot take with you (T.S.A website)

If you print the page above & carry it in your carry on & the TSA gives you a hard time about the cutter, whip out the paperwork you printed from THEIR website & correct them on whats allowed.

Personally, I have never had a problem traveling domestically & internationally with single & dual blade cigar cutters in either my checked or carry on luggage (and those that know me can validate how much I fly for a living).

I can tell you it depends on the persons mood thats checking you on whether you'll get past them or not with a torch lighter though, but you'll probably get it seized if its found (empty or not).

·
Registered
291 Posts
If you get alot of problems carrying your cutters through the airport maybe you could use a punch or v-cut when your traveling.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info Poker! Unfortunately I was relieved of a V-cutter in my last trip from Laguardia to Houston...I was in a rush to get to the gate and didn't have time to argue while putting my shoes back on and basically getting dressed again in the line-up!

I'll give the double blade cutter a chance now. I am worried about my Colibri lighter tho, and will likely take a cheapie so it won't be as painful if they take that away too. :c

Keep smokin'! :D

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
i've never had a problem with a cutter or lighter... they both go into my toiletries, in an opaque plastic wrap and put among everything else that looks the same. when i went to cuba thru miami, they put us in a special security line and it took each person about 10-15 min to get thru. they went thru everything... very carefully and very slowly... we almost had to strip too (that was a joke in line). they found an old book of matches in my book bag that i didn't know i had (and i emptied the bag before i left ... or so i thought). but the lighter and cutter got thru.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I took a double-bladed cutter & Colibri torch thru Orlando (which is supposed to be a TSA nightmare) to Las Vegas and they never said a word. They even looked in my carry on bags and saw both the cutter & torch. Never spoke a word to me. From McCarran to Orlando I was never bothered either. At this point, I think it may just be the luck of the draw. The more I think about it, the more I think about how stupid I was to bring my torch because if they would have confiscated it, I would have been pissed.

-Justin

·
Registered
77 Posts
Poker - that's a good idea printing out the TSA's guidelines.

My wife recently flew from Detroit to Hartford, and, unbeknownst to me, took a carry-on which had my Prometheus lighter and Xikar in it. They didn't touch the cutter, but there's lighter on my Christmas list this year :c

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Poker, that is a great way to deal with the TSA folks. To date I have avoided a lot of my carry on luggage to do an end run around this drama.

·
F.O.G. with nice smokes
1,605 Posts
a pucnh on the keyring or clip ahead of time now for me. Too many shakedowns for having cutters in my pockets and carry ons.

ONE more note about the airlines, if you don't want to take your favorite lighter, you can only have TWO books of matches with you. I had a note in my suitcase when I got back from Springpatch telling me why they took 4 boxes of matches out of my bags, and left 2. no telling how many cigars they snaked with them......

OPT

1 - 9 of 9 Posts