Cigar Forums banner

Cigar Box Bluetooth Speaker

3K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  bearinvt 
#1 ·
My iHome alarm clock died recently and I scavenged the speakers from it. I've been wanting to build this little project for a while, and the speakers came at the perfect time. I hopped on EBay and found a nice little Bluetooth amp that is powered by any 12v source. Then it was just about finding a box.

This is by no means a one and done project. It's just a quick throw together, kind of a proof of concept to make sure that it works before dropping money on some more quality parts. In hindsight, the Matilde Renacer Box is too small, leaving the sound a bit tinny, but I love the hinged lid on it. All in all, I only have $20 in this one, so I'm happy with it for right now. Plans for a bigger and better one soon!

See less See more
#6 ·
That's sweet! I've seen guitar amp projects like this, but never thought of a bluetooth. You might get a bit fuller sound if you line the box with sound mat to deaden it. Also with the holes in back and the lid not sealed, you have a ported box. Most of the portable speakers I've seen use a sealed box and passive radiator to help with the low end freq. Just my .02c. Nice job!

#8 ·
I actually had it not ported at first and it sounded worse. The mat is a great idea! I'm thinking on a larger box I could put a plate on the inside to cover everything up, which could double as a switch panel on a more complex build.

#24 ·
I'm a little late to this party but I thought I'd chime in anyway in case anybody is still paying attention to this thread.

I've built a few cigar box guitars and still put one together from time to time. I've got this one hanging in my living room. It's got a piezo mike inside so I can plug it into an amp and really make it wail. Not that I really know how to play a lick but it's fun anyway.

The best source for kits and parts from the most basic to pretty sophisticated - for a cigar box that's a bit of an oxymoron - is CB Gitty in New Hampshire. They are really good folks that work hard to promote the hobby. I don't have the link handy but any search engine will bring them right up.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.