Cigar Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Guitarist said:
Anybody know of any good books to read for the beginner. something that tells you of what to look for basically when buying and finding your taste
I 'd have to say this board is far better than any book I've seen for what you are looking for. There's not many books that will give you 20 different opinions from 20 different people with varied tastes. The price is right as well Search the threads and you'd be surprised what you can find. There is a search option above the threads.

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Cigars isn't a bad read at all and full of decent information. Really, no Joke.

The Cigar Companion: The Connoisseur's Guide by Anwer Bati, Simon Chase, was one of the first books I ever bought. Good intro material with lots of pictures.

Cigars by Vahe Gerard. A two part book with good pictures & great descriptions, but leaning more towards Havanas.

An Illustrated Encyclopedia of Post-Revolution Havana Cigars. By Min Ron NEE. If you really like Havanas on a Connoisseur level.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions Mo! I've been looking for some reading material as well. I have to smoke in the garage away from my computer and CS, so I would like to find something to read while enjoying a smoke.

Where, oh where, do I find that MRN book? I've googled it and come up empty. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
21,652 Posts
I would get what knowledge you can from out here.

Then subscribe to Cigar Afficianado,Smoke and Cigar Magazine. The info is new and fresh and you will have good reading.

·
Enjoying life...
4,742 Posts
There are many good books mentioned here, but they are no substitute for the knowledge contained in the hallowed halls of Club Stogie. :) Easily accessed with the search feature.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
The Rev said:
I have come up empty on MRN, too. I know this is an old thread, but just in case someone checks in, I am open to any advice on how to pick up this book.
I've seen it on ebay a couple of times. Scuttlebutt's saying MRN will have a second edition out soon.

And I concur on the Idiots Guide. Nothing in it that can't be found here, but pretty good nonetheless. I'd also add Cubans. The Ultimate Cigars by William Mara. Again, not much that can't be found online, but he's written some interesting bits about his research in Cuba and some brands you don't hear about often.

Scott"wouldratherhaveagoodbook"M

·
Registered
17 Posts
for a reasonable price? I know that someone has them routinely on eBay but the price is Resurrecting an old thread….. Anyone know where I can get a copy of the Ron Nee book a little stiff…

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
One of my favorites is "The Ultimate Cigar Book" by Richard Hacker. I have the second edition and find it very informative. We seem to see eye to eye on a lot of issues.

I also owe a great debt to "Rudman's Complete Guide to Cigars" by Theo Rudman. While my 1997 edition is rather out of date, it still contains a lot of useful information. My tastebuds must be a lot like Rudman's since I have found the cigars that he considers good to also be pleasing to me. I also tend not to like the one's that he seems to think poorly of. So, in that respect, TR has been a far more useful guide when purchasing "blind" than CA, or even this forum for that matter.

Another book that satisfies my love for data is "Perelman's Pocket Cyclopedia of Cigars". I currently have the 1997 edition, but I have the new edition and his guide to Cuban cigars on order.

I believe all three of these books are written by men who truely love cigars as cigars, and smoke for enjoyment. For them, a cigar is not just another fashion accessory. The Hacker book is a particularly enjoyable read as Hacker is a writer and not "just" a cigar man (no belittlement intended).

·
Registered
264 Posts
I also have "The Ultimate Cigar Book" and I must say it's pretty good. However, I've learned much more from this forum than in that book... I'd say save your money and spend it on a couple of cigars instead! :D

·
Registered
421 Posts
Guitarist said:
Anybody know of any good books to read for the beginner. something that tells you of what to look for basically when buying and finding your taste
The Idiot's Guide is what really got me started...

Good luck!

GF

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
punch said:
I also owe a great debt to "Rudman's Complete Guide to Cigars" by Theo Rudman. While my 1997 edition is rather out of date, it still contains a lot of useful information. My tastebuds must be a lot like Rudman's since I have found the cigars that he considers good to also be pleasing to me. I also tend not to like the one's that he seems to think poorly of. So, in that respect, TR has been a far more useful guide when purchasing "blind" than CA, or even this forum for that matter.
I'm with you on that one punch. I also find Rudman's to be the closest to my tastebuds and have learned a lot by reading him AND reading between the lines. Also true, what he thought was poor quality, I also found not to my liking.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.