Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think of them? Do you expect more of a cigar if rated highly by CA? Looks to me somtimes they completely contradict themselves on top of completely thinking flavors of cigars... Comments?

·
-
11,412 Posts
CA blows old mens balls... to put it gently.
their review scores are based not on how good a cigar tastes, but on how much that cigars manufacturer pays for advertising.

but that's just my opinion...

have you ever gone out and smoked something they rated very high and thought, "man, that tasted like volcanic dirt with a hint of singed ass-hair!"

off topic - where at in St. Louis are you from? i grew up (from 5th grade until graduation) in St. Charles county...

·
The Mayor
503 Posts
Yes, take the cA reviews with a grain of salt.
I was looking back at the old Cigar Insiders from 1996-97, some of the reviews were not too bad in there, they even included the box code with Havanas!

·
Registered
419 Posts
The one I cant get out of my mind is," smacks of meat, mushrooms and iodine" and they rated it a 90. Yumm!!. I dont totally agree that all the reviews are revenue driven, but it certainly wouldn't pay to pan your big spenders on any regular basis. Frank B

·
Registered
904 Posts
PaulHag said:
IHT, I'm not directly from St Louis, I am from Cape Girardeau, bout 100 miles south of STL.
I was deployed there late year by Homeland Security and if I remember found a pretty good cigar store there Tabacco lane or something like that.

Nice Place Cape Girardiau, friendly people too. Still not sure why it's called a Cape when its no where near the ocean. :confused:

CA or CI reviews can really be deceiving. I rely on ratings from people I trust here or the database or just ask anyone, they will give you their honest opinion. Just remember one persons banana is another persons grapefruit, or something like that.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow dude thats awesome... :r
Yes Tabacco Lane is the store you went to and its amazingly impressive for the shit hole part of America it's in. Wow what a small world. Im dumb-founded. Cannot beleive someone on this forum has actually been to the CG. But ya, thats really the only store I have access to good smokes to, but for now its good enough for me. LOL wow..

·
Registered
419 Posts
PaulHag,Have fond memories of CG. Spent a wonderful drunken, coke fueled weekend,( the seventies, cocaine was a party favor then), with a good woman I snagged out of one of the bars on the street outside of the college, while my boat was on drydock after crashing on the Cumberland River. The thing I remember is that she had a couple of tomcats that she locked out of the bedroom and they clawed the sh*t out my cowboy boots that I had left in the living room. Was worth it!!! Frank B

·
Registered
374 Posts
FrankB said:
PaulHag,Have fond memories of CG. Spent a wonderful drunken, coke fueled weekend,( the seventies, cocaine was a party favor then), with a good woman I snagged out of one of the bars on the street outside of the college, while my boat was on drydock after crashing on the Cumberland River. The thing I remember is that she had a couple of tomcats that she locked out of the bedroom and they clawed the sh*t out my cowboy boots that I had left in the living room. Was worth it!!! Frank B
Good early morning laugh. Thanks.

·
Enjoying life...
4,742 Posts
I like Smoke magazines reviews as well. They have three different people give an interpretation for each cigar. Smoke dosn't seem to be as laden with ads as the other ones.

·
An ass, not a fish
4,476 Posts
Saw this on another site by lukin (thanks buddy) and thought it fit here.

I was reading the reviews of cigars in CA last night and it struck me as to how many different things they taste in a cigar. I can sometimes get Chocolate, nuts, wood, or leather, but these guys are either lying or they have unbelievable tastebuds

Leather x10
sweet coffee
cedar x14
Spice x10
cocoa bean x7
toast x12
Black pepper x5
Anise x4
wood x17
coffee bean x4
walnut
black cherry x4
sweet x6
rich
Nuts x13
citrus
vanilla x6
tangy wood
herbal x2
creamy x5
dry woodx7
acrid x3
Cardboard x2
Bread x3
Earth x10
hickory
Bread dough x2
weedy
coconut x3
Marzipan x2
Raisins
Wheat x6
dry
Chewy x2
Powdery
mineral
bitter x2
Starbucks Coffee (not only coffee but a particular brand...I think this is what made me go back and look at all of the flavors)
Sweet Wood x2
Rose Petals
Orange Peel
Harshness x3
funky
Tapioca
Papery x3
Balsa Wood x3
Saccharine
Red Meat
Middle Eastern Spices
Doughy
Alfalfa x2
Cinnamon
Chocolate
Roasted Meat
Dark Earth
Stemmy
Cumin
Pencil Lead x2
Creamed Coffee
Floral x2
Sour
Sweet Cedar
Licorice x2
Chalk
Tobacco
Chemical
Peppermint
Hard Wood

69 different flavors in their cigars. Some of them are broad and general (sweet) some of them are pretty finite (starbucks coffee) some of them I wonder how they know (balsa wood) and others make me wonder how it only ended up on the list once (tobacco)

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I agree with everyone that CA is biased because of Advertising revenue but, they do give a great amount of their top reviews to Cuban Cigars. You would have to assume that CA sells most of their Magazines to the US. What good would it do to give the Cubans such great reviews if the Common American Cigar Smoker can't smoke em?

·
Registered
546 Posts
I give you that there is probably a tie in with rating and advertisement, but on the same token, most of the cigars that do rate high are cigars that have always performed consistently, at least when i've smoked them. I use it more to find out what new potential brands may be out there.

Grinch OUT!!!

·
Registered
579 Posts
Alot of these flavours only come to me after reading CA reviews and sampling the cigars they've tried while trying to pick out the flavours they've described. I often think these guys have got to be kidding, but other ttimes I think they nail it. For example, on your list you've got "marzipan." Now, I just finished writing a review in the non-Habanos section for the Rocky patel "Sun Grown." If I could have put my finger on one of the flavours I was experiencing without my head popping off out of frustration I think I would have eventually dubbed it "marzipan."

Cigar tasting is alot like wine tasting, really. You go off and smell all these different flowers, spices and herbs, and then go taste wines and instantly detect the flavours so many of these snooty wine reviewers discuss in their reviews.

SeanGAR said:
Saw this on another site by lukin (thanks buddy) and thought it fit here.

I was reading the reviews of cigars in CA last night and it struck me as to how many different things they taste in a cigar. I can sometimes get Chocolate, nuts, wood, or leather, but these guys are either lying or they have unbelievable tastebuds

Leather x10
sweet coffee
cedar x14
Spice x10
cocoa bean x7
toast x12
Black pepper x5
Anise x4
wood x17
coffee bean x4
walnut
black cherry x4
sweet x6
rich
Nuts x13
citrus
vanilla x6
tangy wood
herbal x2
creamy x5
dry woodx7
acrid x3
Cardboard x2
Bread x3
Earth x10
hickory
Bread dough x2
weedy
coconut x3
Marzipan x2
Raisins
Wheat x6
dry
Chewy x2
Powdery
mineral
bitter x2
Starbucks Coffee (not only coffee but a particular brand...I think this is what made me go back and look at all of the flavors)
Sweet Wood x2
Rose Petals
Orange Peel
Harshness x3
funky
Tapioca
Papery x3
Balsa Wood x3
Saccharine
Red Meat
Middle Eastern Spices
Doughy
Alfalfa x2
Cinnamon
Chocolate
Roasted Meat
Dark Earth
Stemmy
Cumin
Pencil Lead x2
Creamed Coffee
Floral x2
Sour
Sweet Cedar
Licorice x2
Chalk
Tobacco
Chemical
Peppermint
Hard Wood

69 different flavors in their cigars. Some of them are broad and general (sweet) some of them are pretty finite (starbucks coffee) some of them I wonder how they know (balsa wood) and others make me wonder how it only ended up on the list once (tobacco)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would have to agree with magno. They do reach pretty far sometimes but they have often times been able to answer that lingering question of "What the hell is that taste!?!" A few times i have been impressed by the great reviews they given cigars from companies which have not spent a dime on advertising. The Tatuaje Cabinet Especiales were rated very highly (Best Cigar of the Year no. 25) and have quickly become a favorite of mine. And other times i think i would sue them for slander if i was a cigar manufacturer based on some reviews. For example: The wrapper on this cigar is poorly stretched. It has peppermint and paper flavors, with an acrid quality and some sweetness on the finish. I honestly think that everyone is best served taking the recommendations of trusted friends and first hand experience.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I think CA's reviews are mostl a marketing ploy now. Whoever advertises the most in the mag gets the reviews. For the most part that is. There are a loto fo time that I agre with their reviews. Sometimes not. You are better off sampling on your own. Use them for a guide if you like. But I thinks TOp 25 Cigar has much better info that CA.

·
An ass, not a fish
4,476 Posts
I can get the Madagascar vanilla.....(as opposed to Tahitian for example), but its just the 7 year old I'm working on. I do taste testing of foods often, so I try to verbalize flavors found in cigars sometimes, but to be honest, I'd prefer to just smoke cigars and relax.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.