Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Potentate of Meerschaum
401 Posts
How many of you smoke the churchwarden pipe and do you like them. Any downsides that I should be aware of if I purchase one.
I smoke one on a regular basis. They are wonderful for sitting by the fire, sipping tea, puffing a fine tobacco and reading a book of cliches'.

The long stem gives you that cool draw that nothing else can.

Make sure you clean it.

If you like lots of tobaccos get a Meerschaum so it won't ghost.

· Registered
2,242 Posts
How many of you smoke the churchwarden pipe and do you like them. Any downsides that I should be aware of if I purchase one.
I have a cheap one. H.I.S. brand. For what I paid, it's not bad. The only thing I don't like is that it's kind of hard to see the bowl to light it up! But you get used to that. I like the asthetics of it more than anything.

Oh, I almost forgot, I also got the churchwarden stem on the 2011 Puff pipe and I love that!

· Dastardly Scoundrel
1,267 Posts
I have three counting my 2011 Forum pipe. I love them as they allow me to hold the pipe in a more comfortable angle, don't shoot smoke into my eyes and nose and smoke cooler than standard length pipes. There's just something about the Churchwarden that helps one to enjoy a slow smoke after getting home from work.

· Registered
1,155 Posts
I used to own a Bjarne churchwarden, now I own a Joh's. Great pipe for sitting back and reading. Fragile stems though, so that's something to be careful of. They're an interesting pipe to own for sure. I love mine, use it for Danish light aromatics.

· Registered
432 Posts
I had been wanting to try one for awhile myself. So when I ordered the Puff pipe I jumped on the churchwarden stem for it. I have never looked back.

I absolutely love the Churchwarden stem on it and honestly I haven't had even one bowl with the short stem to try it out. It just smokes cool and well. LOVE it.

The only thing (not sure if this is just the Puff one or all Churchwardens) but sometimes it gets a little steamy down the bottom and needs a pipe cleaner run through it mid smoke to get rid of the gurgle. This is becoming less frequent but the steam just seems to get trapped down there pretty well sometimes.

Love the look, love how cool it smokes, the flavors come through a little better I think too and you get less tongue bite off of bitey tobacco's IMO...
Mike

· The Cheese stands alone
2,779 Posts
I've been thinking about sending out one of the standard bent pipes I already have, and have a churchwarden stem made for it. I think my 999 silver spigot would be great for this but it may be hard to find someone to do the stem, I have a slightly used 999 Killarney arriving today hopefully that I may look into getting a stem made for.

· Puffer With No Spikes
1,725 Posts
I personally love the churchwardens. I guess you could consider my MacArthur cob a warden. I used a bamboo shank effectively making the pipe I just carved a warden. I'm also waiting on 3 15 inch clay wardens coming over from EU.

· Heavy Puffer
7,169 Posts
I've been thinking about sending out one of the standard bent pipes I already have, and have a churchwarden stem made for it. I think my 999 silver spigot would be great for this but it may be hard to find someone to do the stem, I have a slightly used 999 Killarney arriving today hopefully that I may look into getting a stem made for.
Let me know if you do, I have a pipe that would be perfect for this!

· 39 04 35 N, 108 33 05 W
2,994 Posts
I had one made for a freestyle basket pipe of mine...it came with a p-lip knock off that annoyed the hell out of me. I gave it to the local B&M and they sent it to a place in Salt Lake City. I'm quite pleased with the results. I'll see if I can remember who they sent it to and post the info.

· Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just pulled the trigger and bought a cheaper one off of ebay. Called a Mr. Brog's from Poland. They make the briar(which I took) and pear root pipes. I hope it smokes as good as it looks. For the money I think it should still be good. Looks real nice.

· Registered
1 Posts
I have several churchwardens, both lower and higher end in price, and I love them. Of course, the better the quality of the briar, the better the pipe is going to smoke, but the longer stem provides a cooler draw. Definitely intended for use in an armchair and not for hiking or anything involving physical activity, but perfect for relaxing with a good bourbon (or whatever your preference may be).

· THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG!
34,863 Posts
Ive got 2 Sav churchwardens that are my favorite pipes. The both smoke great, just make sure you get long pipcleaners.
Great suggestion Adam i just grabbed one for my Daughter over the holidays and she loves it!
Talk soon peace bro!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.