Cigar Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a question for you....well a couple.
1. Do you inf act goto church?
2. What are your views on christianity and smokin'?

I have mine...but I'd like to hear others.

cocoa

EDIT: Now that I think about it...I'm thinkin' you mean Churchill...hehe, well open question then.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Well, for starters:

Yes, I do go to church - in fact I'm usually here 6-7 days a week. I work for a Church. And yes, I also go to church to worship.

Christianity and smoking? About the same that I think about Judaism and Smoking. ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Churchlady said:
Well, for starters:

Yes, I do go to church - in fact I'm usually here 6-7 days a week. I work for a Church. And yes, I also go to church to worship.

Christianity and smoking? About the same that I think about Judaism and Smoking. ;)
Nice nice...

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
As a Christian, I do not see anything inherently wrong with smoking cigars. I would imagine that if, just like with practically anything, this hobby was the #1 priority in one's life, then it would be bad. But when a person smokes with a thankful heart, then I don't see a problem.

I know the English theolgian and pastor, Charles Spurgeon, smoked cigars and did not consider it sinful. There is a story about how one of his seminarians came into his study, and there was Spurgeon with his Bible and Greek lexicons, just immersed in the word, puffing on a big cigar. And it was so unsettling to the young man that Spurgeon looked at him and said, "My young friend, can you smoke a cigar to the glory of God?" The young man couldn't say anything, and Spurgeon said, "Well, if you can't do it to the glory of God, then leave them alone."

For more on Spurgeon and his cigar smoking, refer to the site below:

http://www.spurgeon.org/misc/cigars.htm

·
-
11,412 Posts
i'm not the spiritual type, but i don't see why they would clash? after all, didn't the "higher power" put those things on this earth for us to use? :w

but "i" dont' want to get into this any further than just wanting a quick reasoning WHY it would matter what religion you were and what that has to do with cigars??

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'll take a stab at this one...

Some of the more fundamentalist Christians believe that smoking is a vice, by definition a weakness of the soul, therefore a sin. Not sure what the folks over in Judaism, Islam, Bhuddism, Hinduism, etc would say about this topic, but I have read Christian treatises that address the "Sin" of smoking.

-Q

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
cocoa said:
Just a question for you....well a couple.
1. Do you inf act goto church?
2. What are your views on christianity and smokin'?

I have mine...but I'd like to hear others.

cocoa

EDIT: Now that I think about it...I'm thinkin' you mean Churchill...hehe, well open question then.
Since it is Sunday, I was going over some literature concerning Christianity on the net. I recalled the article below and I think it will give you an interesting perspective on your question #2.

http://www.geocities.com/chwrdn/agdcgr1.html

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Thanks for the info on Spurgeon. I have always admired him as the prince of preachers...certainly one of the best to have ever entered the pulpit. Now that he was a cigar smoker, he can just about walk on water!

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Lamar said:
Thanks for the info on Spurgeon. I have always admired him as the prince of preachers...certainly one of the best to have ever entered the pulpit. Now that he was a cigar smoker, he can just about walk on water!
You are quite welcome, Lamar!

:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.