Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After sampling several great cigars recommended to me by BOTL here, I am looking for another recommendation. Something I can buy a box of, something pretty reasonable for around $100 or less a box, that I won't get tired of smoking.

I'm looking for something that is just as the title suggests - flavor profile that includes chocolate, coffee and is somewhat creamy.

I ran some searches and came up w/ some recommendations of current and former LLGs. I'll mention those recommendations below. I'm wondering if you can either comment on some or add your own recommendations.

Also, if you have a "best buy"/"value buy", make sure you let me know. As in, you really like _____ and it's $119/box, but ______ is really similar and is only $58/box.

Thanks to all.

Here's some recommendations from searches:

ERDM Robusto Oscuro (txmatt)
Torano Gold (nely)
habano corojo gran robusto (nely)
Punch Gran Puro Rancho (txmatt)
Padron 1964 Anniv Principe Maduro (relaxnsmoke)
Puros Indios Maxima Reserva (edisonbird)
AFuente Don Carlos Robusto (edisonbird)
La Finca Bolivares (big bish)
La Rosa Especial Mi Favorita (totalfcl)

·
Banned
6,267 Posts
I second the Torano Gold, it used to be a staple around my humi. It has that chocolatey profile that I love so much. Can't go wrong with a Torano. Also if you're looking for something that is kind of creamy and caramel flavor I like the Torano silvers, many would disagree but I get a caramel flavor out of them. Tis excellent.

·
Registered
691 Posts
The Torano Exodus 1959 would be a good choice in that profile. I also love the Partagas Black Label in that price range however it is a bit more spicey. The Camacho SLR Colorado is another great smoke I found for $60 a box (20). Good luck :)

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Padron...most of the X000, the corticos and Fumas...

Joya de Nicaragua Celebracion Corona also hit that spot for me after it dried out a bit.

All I can think of that had those specific attributes for most of the smoke.

Scott"I'llbegladtoinvestigateformore"M

·
Registered
978 Posts
A couple that have not been mentioned: Olivia Master Blends really fit what your looking for, so do the Series X.

I think the La Gloria Cubana Series R comes close but tends to the spicey side.

The C. Torano Ex Gold has been already been mentioned, but i would put in a vote for those too, as well as the Padron X000's.

_____
rm

·
Still Smitty's biotch!
3,335 Posts
If you have had and like the La Rosa Especial, get them now because they aren't made anymore and their chief distributor (JR) is sold out. Larry Lynn still has them for $43 I believe. I am going to start hoarding mine until I can make room in the Humi and order another box. :D

The cheapest you will likely get the PAM Principes for is $180, but you might want to give the similar sized Padron Delicias a try. $53 from Phil @ esmokestack.

finally, (Not to sway your decision to "my entry"), ERDM is on sale at Thompson's right now. Buy 1 box get the second 1/2 off:

Item: R28504 $90.00
El Rey Del Mun Rob/2 Mad, Set (Contains: 40 EL REY DEL MUNDO ROB)

Item: R28506 $102.00
El Rey Del Mun Rob-l/2 Mad, Set (Contains: 40 EL REY DEL MUNDO ROB-L MAD)

Item: R28507 $114.00
El Rey Del Mun Rob-s/2 Mad, Set (Contains: 40 EL REY DEL MUNDO ROB-S MAD)

I will have to look into La Finca Bolivares, but I thought their Robusto Black was their only Maduro. You will get chocolate, coffee, and nuts from it though not very creamy really. At $27 a box though you won't mind at all. These really get great at around a year old.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
When I read your title, the first cigar that came to my mind is the Montecristo Afrique line. The body of the smoke is a mild medium, but the flavors that you want are there. Cost in right in your range, too. I have tried the Machame (corona), Sublimation (corona), as well as the Jambo (Robusto). I do not recommend the Sublimation since they taste exactly the same as the Machame in spite of the crystal tubes and cedar wrap. Go for the cigar and not the gimmick. Also, JR's has sampler tins with three Jambo or 4 Machame cigars, so you don't need to spring for a box to try a few. I have not tried any of the other sizes since I like the Corona size and the Machame boxes that I have tried so far have been very consistent. Burn is typical Montecristo excellent. I don't remember ever having to "touch up" a properly lit Afrique.

BTW - The Afrique comes in a very attractive black cedar box. One of my favorite. I hate to hide the darn things in the humidor! I think my next project is to build a large glass fronted humidor cabinet. Maybe glass doors on my closet? Nah . . . I want to stay married.

Jambo - Box 25 for 109.95
Machame - Box of 25 for 94.95

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I haven't seen it mentioned, but in the "bang for the buck" category, the Sancho Panza double maduros are pretty unbeatable, definitely some chocolate creamy action going on in there - can be had extremely cheap (under $2 a stick)
Paging TxtMatt - TxtMatt you are wanted in aisle three

Also - The ERDM Robusto line is an unbelievable deal at the prices Matt listed. I had one that was a gift from the listmaker and his launderer, and was really impressed with it.

Also second the Exodus 1959 (though I am not as fond of the silvers)

Also second the Monte Afrique line - I've had a few of these - the best was the robusto-ish size I got (another gift - aint this place great?) from D. Gen.

·
-
11,412 Posts
i know a lot of people don't like 'em, but the ones i had reminded me of a chocolate capuccino:
perdomo2 maduros (forgot their official name for that size, but they were long/thin). as with most perdomos, you have to let them dry out before they're smokeable.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Lot of plugs to sift through, but a SLR Reserva Churchill puts off a lot of creamy choco aroma. If I got another box of these it would be the Rothchild because the ones I've tried weren't plugged like half the Churchills ended up being.

·
Registered
691 Posts
IHT said:
i know a lot of people don't like 'em, but the ones i had reminded me of a chocolate capuccino:
perdomo2 maduros (forgot their official name for that size, but they were long/thin). as with most perdomos, you have to let them dry out before they're smokeable.
IHT is "right on" here with letting them dry out a bit.

I also say just pull the trigger on the BBF's and get ALLTHEFLAVORYOUNEED!!! :r

·
Registered
7,155 Posts
RcktS4 said:
I Sancho Panza double maduros are pretty unbeatable, definitely some chocolate creamy action going on in there - can be had extremely cheap (under $2 a stick)
Like the SPDM too, and Rckt is right, about $38 a box at the right websites. I also have found the HdM Dark Sumatras that horrorview turned me onto to be a chocolatey smoke. Those two and the Partagas Black Label Magnificos at $75 or so a box are all good choices.

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
Besides the Padrons, IMO the Centenario series, by Felipe Gregorio, have an unquestionable chocolate-Coffee like flavor to them.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I'd vote for the Torano 1959 Golds, in the Torpedo size, and the Sanch Panza Double maduro.

However, I throw another one I've enjoyed immensely into the mix that no one else has mentioned:

Butera "Royal Vintage" Maduro. The smaller sizes have a delicious, creamy sweetness to them. (Even my wifey likes them!)A bit hard to find, but well worth a look at. you might want to pick up a 5-pack or a single and check them out first. A real-top-quality smoke, IMHO.

·
Registered
676 Posts
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.