Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone who has been to one of these events tell me about it? I would like to go and meet a few Forum members to put faces with the posts, and am curious about which companies go and what the product they give out at the show is like... and are any of you planning to go?.....thanks for any insight...hog

·
toe
4,901 Posts
I've got no info except that I was also thinking about going.
It's out near O'Hare somewhere, which didn't bode too well, but may still be a good time.

I went to the Up Down dinner event last fall, which was pretty fun. Met a neat old man (probably 80 or so) who was a lot more interesting than the younger folks at our table were.

Anyhow, I'll second the original post - anyone know anything about the Chicago Big Smoke?

·
Registered
97 Posts
icehog3 said:
Can anyone who has been to one of these events tell me about it? I would like to go and meet a few Forum members to put faces with the posts, and am curious about which companies go and what the product they give out at the show is like... and are any of you planning to go?.....thanks for any insight...hog
I've been to six Big Smokes, five in NYC and one in Atlantic City. I already have tickets for this years Atlantic City event.

My friends and I have always had a great time at the Big Smokes. Good food, good drinks, and a bunch of cigars. They're all good premium cigars and we received about 25 cigars last year. Here's a link to the advertisement for the Atlantic City Big Smoke that includes a list of vendors. I'm sure the Chicago event will have a similar list of vendors.

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/CA_Static/BigSmoke/BS_Atlanticcity05.html

·
Registered
107 Posts
The Chicago Big Smoke for me is a reunion of sorts. It is an event that my previous boss and I always go to. I enjoy it because of the friends that are there.
Variety of cigars, drinks, and food. It is not a "go to learn"....it is a "grab and go" type event; grab cigars, grab drinks, grab food, keep walking and talking and smoking. Our fun usually is after we have gotten the "goodies". We go hang out, smoke and relax.

·
Registered
53 Posts
CigarTom said:
I've been to six Big Smokes, five in NYC and one in Atlantic City. I already have tickets for this years Atlantic City event.

My friends and I have always had a great time at the Big Smokes. Good food, good drinks, and a bunch of cigars. They're all good premium cigars and we received about 25 cigars last year. Here's a link to the advertisement for the Atlantic City Big Smoke that includes a list of vendors. I'm sure the Chicago event will have a similar list of vendors.

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/CA_Static/BigSmoke/BS_Atlanticcity05.html
hey that sounds very familiar I think I was there as your protege.

·
Registered
7,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cigar Chic said:
The Chicago Big Smoke for me is a reunion of sorts. It is an event that my previous boss and I always go to. I enjoy it because of the friends that are there.
Variety of cigars, drinks, and food. It is not a "go to learn"....it is a "grab and go" type event; grab cigars, grab drinks, grab food, keep walking and talking and smoking. Our fun usually is after we have gotten the "goodies". We go hang out, smoke and relax.
So from what you have received at previous Chicago Big Smokes, which would be better?

1. Go spend $175 (plus parking) for the 25 smokes you get, rub elbows for a couple hours, then go out

or

2. Spend $175 at my favorite smoke shop, get together with some BOTLs and do our own thing?

I guess my question comes down to...is it worth $175, if I am not sure if anyone I know or from the Forum is attending?

Thanks for any insight...

·
Registered
258 Posts
cookieboy364 said:
$175 admission but includes quite a few cigars. Only a one night event though.
Jason,
Let me know what you, joe and the others are planning. Hell for that much money we might as well order a few boxes and split a bunch of stuff :)

Had a great time at our last outing.

Matt

·
Registered
7,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
icehog3 said:
So from what you have received at previous Chicago Big Smokes, which would be better?

1. Go spend $175 (plus parking) for the 25 smokes you get, rub elbows for a couple hours, then go out

or

2. Spend $175 at my favorite smoke shop, get together with some BOTLs and do our own thing?

I guess my question comes down to...is it worth $175, if I am not sure if anyone I know or from the Forum is attending?

Thanks for any insight...
Still curious for an opinion from someone who has been to this previously...Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I went to a chicago big smoke, oh jeez, probably 5 years ago-this was my first time at a big smoke-simply divine!
The feeling of being in a place with a few hundred fellow cigar smokers was almost overwhelming! My best friend and I went and decided to stay at the host hotel overnight(the fairmont). The only rooms available were "no smoking only" that's cool we said. As we took the elevator up to the room-it was like the 9th floor- once we got off on the floor all you could see was a plume of cigar smoke...on the no smoking floor-way too funny- the smoke was litterally taking over the hotel!! After this event we attended the big smoke in vegas in 2000.
Vegas was much bigger but the sheer thought of being in a large room with a ton of strangers that are all there for the love of the leaf....enough to make a grown man cry!
My advise- do it! you won't be dissappointed. It's $175 you get a minimum of 25 smokes, food, and drinks-that averages out to what 3-4 drinks(they had bottles of sam adams-shoulda been $3 each,$9-12) good plate of appetizer foods(probably spend at least $7 on junk food wouldn't you?) and a bag full of cigars (so maybe around $6.04 each) I've spent alot more and got a lot less!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I tried planning to go to this years, but nooooo, the warden says her sisters wedding cannot be missed-I can make it back in time,but I guess I just am not allowed to have any fun that week!

·
Yeah, yeah... It's me...
958 Posts
Have been to the Vegas Big Smoke a couple of years ago and planning on going back this year... somewhat pricy but you get 25-30 smokes, plenty to eat and drink and have a good time with other cigar nuts... always packed... have not done the full weekend but may look into it this year... more cigars are offered... I would recommend if you can afford it...

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have been to NY Big Smoke last Oct. and am going to the Atlantic City one on May 13. It is expensive but it's a good night out, lots of cigars included plus food and drink, I stuck to the 21 year old Glenlivet table in NY, and throw in gambling to the mix and how can you lose?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.