Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you guys got some cheap ($1.50 or less) smokes that you like for everyday smoking? You know, the ones you don't mind throwing away if it's plugged or the ones you give to the moochers?

I like the Don Elias from CI myself. You can get them for around $1 each and they haven't let me down yet. I always take several to the golf course to give to the guys that like to smoke to show off.

I"ve tried several bundle type smokes but haven't found anything better yet for the price.

Let everyone know what your cheap smokes are....come on now, don't be embarrassed (SP?) we know you smoke em...

·
-
11,412 Posts
connies (consuegras) from JRs (or other places). you can get a bundle for $25.
i haven't had any in a while though, but that's all my neighbor smokes.

·
Enjoying life...
4,742 Posts
I've tried various el cheapos in my time. I think JR Alternatives are pretty good for everyday smokes. Right now I'm thinking of buying a box of Remedios. With some of these cheap sticks its kind of hit or miss if you will get a decent one.

Jeff

·
What would Skeeter do?
4,202 Posts
Flor de Oliva bundles remain one of the best cigars for the money around. Consuegras are seconds to Villazon products & very reasonable. If you ever see any Oliva Segundos, buy em! Not bundled, but Mike's in Florida has Lusitania at $29.95 a box. A pretty decent smoke with a little rest.

·
Skeeter's Confidant
7,197 Posts
I really like Flor De Oliva nats from Smokeall(24.50 a bundle) and Mr. B's from JR's,less than a dollar a stick. I think I saw Padron Fuma's for about 36 a box somewhere. Read here that La Finca's are good,haven't smoked one yet but have a couple resting. I've tried a bunch of the cheap smokes and these are the best I've found so far.

I'm sure these guys know alot more than me..

·
What would Skeeter do?
4,202 Posts
Yeah Frank! I forgot all about the La Finca. I've heard mixed reviews, but it has never let me down.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I have now become a Flor de Oliva convert

La Finca - Many dog rockets amoungst the roses as far as I'm concerned, but not bad when you get a good aged one.

·
Shags homely sheep
5,059 Posts
I like the American Stogoie by Nestro Plancencia, but the ones I had needed humi time. My other cheap smoke is Evelio and they are ready to go soon after you get them. You can get them both for under $1.50. Fdo are good too.

·
Skeeter's Confidant
7,197 Posts
galaga said:
I like the American Stogoie by Nestro Plancencia, but the ones I had needed humi time. My other cheap smoke is Evelio and they are ready to go soon after you get them. You can get them both for under $1.50. Fdo are good too.
Writing those down to try list,thanks for the heads up..

·
Still Smitty's biotch!
3,335 Posts
there are plenty of great smokes for under $1.50

Flor De Oliva bundled Original mentioned multiple times already. Rocky's and Smokeall have them around a buck a stick.

La Finca is a long time favorite of mine for a cheap smoke. I like the corona natural and the Robusto Black best. JR seems to have the best prices going on them.

Lusitania from Mike's that 'hat mentioned $30/box any size and made by Perdomo.

La Flor del Caney another Mike's $30/ box any size. A somewhat mild cigar but the cameroon wrapper gives enough flavor to keep me interested. The bouquet figurado is really a nice shape (same shape as Partagas S Esplendido) These are made by Manuel Quesada/MATASA who also makes Fonseca and Licenciados. AGE THESE at least 3 months, preferably 6+ as they are young.

Mantequilla - a third decent cigar for $30/box any size from Mikes. The X, XX, and XXX have a light maduro wrapper. They are square pressed and quite stuffed with tobacco which gives a nice long medium flavor smoke.

Mayorga Gordito Maduro - a nice square pressed and flavorful dark maduro torpedo (5 x 54). The wrapper on the latest batch I got was a bit fireproof but age should fix that. These little buggers suprise me with their flavorful yet mild strength smoke. Ususally they are $2 - $2.25 however JR has a "double door humidor" of 40 cigars for $70, which after shipping makes them $1.80 a stick.

Padron Fumas, Cazadores, #4 - when purchased in S. Florida for you by a BOTL these run 80 cents a stick. Great Padron flavor in a mixed filler stick. For the $36 the national release version runs, I would personally smoke one of the above cigars instead or smoke a $2.40 2000M when I was in the mood for Padron.

-Matt-

·
Skeeter's Confidant
7,197 Posts
txmatt said:
there are plenty of great smokes for under $1.50

Flor De Oliva bundled Original mentioned multiple times already. Rocky's and Smokeall have them around a buck a stick.

La Finca is a long time favorite of mine for a cheap smoke. I like the corona natural and the Robusto Black best. JR seems to have the best prices going on them.

Lusitania from Mike's that 'hat mentioned $30/box any size and made by Perdomo.

La Flor del Caney another Mike's $30/ box any size. A somewhat mild cigar but the cameroon wrapper gives enough flavor to keep me interested. The bouquet figurado is really a nice shape (same shape as Partagas S Esplendido) These are made by Manuel Quesada/MATASA who also makes Fonseca and Licenciados. AGE THESE at least 3 months, preferably 6+ as they are young.

Mantequilla - a third decent cigar for $30/box any size from Mikes. The X, XX, and XXX are square pressed with a light maduro wrapper. They are square pressed, and quite stuffed with tobacco which gives a nice long medium flavor smoke.

Mayorga Gordito Maduro - a nice square pressed and flavorful dark maduro torpedo (5 x 54). The wrapper on the latest batch I got was a bit fireproof but age should fix that. These little buggers suprise me with their flavorful yet mild strength smoke. Ususally they are $2 - $2.25 however JR has a "double door humidor" of 40 cigars for $70, which after shipping makes them $1.80 a stick.

-Matt-
Good ones Matt,by the way,have you tried any of the Mayorga or Montecristo coffee from JR's?

·
Registered
831 Posts
dadof3illinois said:
Have any of you guys got some cheap ($1.50 or less) smokes that you like for everyday smoking? You know, the ones you don't mind throwing away if it's plugged or the ones you give to the moochers?

I like the Don Elias from CI myself. You can get them for around $1 each and they haven't let me down yet. I always take several to the golf course to give to the guys that like to smoke to show off.
The Don Elias are a good bang-for-the-buck smoke. According to the ad copy (which usually is dependable as the French in a fight) they are not producing this cigar any more.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Mayor said:
El Credito bundles are La Gloria seconds...sometimes they aren't pretty...but they are a great inexpensive smoke!
I agree, but I like a little age on them. Have had several bundles and I like them much more with a little time in the humi. They seem to even out a little and become what is expected from the La Gloria brand.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
KingMeatyHand said:
The Don Elias are a good bang-for-the-buck smoke. According to the ad copy (which usually is dependable as the French in a fight) they are not producing this cigar any more.
I know the ones I bought this past fall were all really good!! Are all ready aged 4-5 years and have that nice "yellow cello"!!! You can pick them up for $1 each including shipping so it's a great deal.

I've tried some bundled don jose and they were okay, I've had some of the JR knock off's but wasn't impressed, most of my orders from JR's are always too dry and take several weeks in the humi to come around.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I haveto agree with the Flor de Oliva bundles. They are great sticks.

I also like from JR the Honduran Factory Corojo's. Judging from the taste they are either HdM Dark Sumatra, or Punch Grand Puro seconds. I can taste qualities of both in these cigars. If they are the Dark Sumatra the Wrapper is just not dark Enough.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I have been a big fan of the La Finca's until recently, when i got a box that was 75% bad. Plugs, terrible burns, and off-tastes. But when you get a good one, they are pretty good.

You may want to try the special Habanos Puros. Currently on special at Mr. Bundles for 15 bucks a bundle (Special #4). I think the Maduro and Rosado are decent smokes. Not great but for $0.75 a cigar a good value.
http://mrbundles.com/SpecialPricing.asp

Also from Mr. B's i am really liking the Nicaraguan Select SunGrown Maduros.
http://ssl.webstream.net/mrbundles/...og_NAME=NICARAGUAN+SELECTION+SUN+GROWN+MADURO
These are $1.80 a cigar. I find them to be medium bodied with a nice earthy flavor, woody, peaty, and some chocolate. A nice break from the spice that inhabits most fuller bodied cigars.

Also i think the Arturo Fuente Curly Head Maduro is a great smoke for the money. You should be abel to find them for under $2.

_____
rm

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
kamikaiguy said:
I have to agree with the Flor de Oliva bundles. They are great sticks.
And thanks to kamikaiguy for turning me on to these wonderful smokes! Flor de Oliva cigars are not only affordable they are quite good. A great everyday smoke!

:)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.