Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
HOT for HILLARY!!
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone had a more educated assessment on the damage caused by Charley to Cuba's crops this year. I know 2002 beat the crap out of them, but couldn't find anything online about Charley. Could be slim pickins next couple years.

·
HOT for HILLARY!!
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh yeah, them too. i think 3 did die, plus obviously countless others had houses etc destroyed/damaged. what i find amazing is the deaths in florida. cubans are pretty much trapped there, but to stay in florida despite the warnings? i would find that to be a fine time to head west and visit some cactus.

it looks like frances will miss cuba, but will beat up on florida again. my parents place in sc is still missing half a roof and some siding from charley, and i saw the other day they were calling for 5+ inches of rain in the area. ugly way to start off hurricane season.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
AAlmeter said:
oh yeah, them too. i think 3 did die, plus obviously countless others had houses etc destroyed/damaged. what i find amazing is the deaths in florida. cubans are pretty much trapped there, but to stay in florida despite the warnings? i would find that to be a fine time to head west and visit some cactus.

it looks like frances will miss cuba, but will beat up on florida again. my parents place in sc is still missing half a roof and some siding from charley, and i saw the other day they were calling for 5+ inches of rain in the area. ugly way to start off hurricane season.
It turned so quickly there was no getting out. It was supposed to hit Tampa and turned so fast a lot of people had only an hour or two warning. The streets and evacuation routes are so clogged there is no getting out with that kind of warning.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Live in Florida, evacuate where? Tampa residents were told to head to Orlando, and they got pounded by Charley. East coast residents are being told to evacuate to Tampa and north, but why? Frances looks like it will shoot straight up the state, so the only benefit to evacuating seems to be getting out of the way of a storm surge, not wind. Then again, for those who live in an aluminum home in Florida, hmm.......

Back to Cubans and a Newbie question:
Historically, have hurricanes ruined tobacco crop plantings, and should the smoker world panic in regards to future availability/price increases?

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Heartpumper said:
Live in Florida, evacuate where? Tampa residents were told to head to Orlando, and they got pounded by Charley. East coast residents are being told to evacuate to Tampa and north, but why? Frances looks like it will shoot straight up the state, so the only benefit to evacuating seems to be getting out of the way of a storm surge, not wind. Then again, for those who live in an aluminum home in Florida, hmm.......

Back to Cubans and a Newbie question:
Historically, have hurricanes ruined tobacco crop plantings, and should the smoker world panic in regards to future availability/price increases?
Historically, I don't think it's been a problem. If they get a direct hit from a category 4 or 5 I would think it would definately effect prices and availability. I guess it would depend on when it hit, I don't know when the crops are in the ground and when they are harvested? Bad deal for the Cuban people for sure, most of the structures are so old, I don't think they have enough shelters.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Looks like Cuba's going to be fine, Frances has it's aim set for Florida and isn't going to change now. Damage in the billions, possible loss of lives, and definately loss of homes. Looks like when it reaches us in Tampa it's not going to be much, but my prayers go out to everyone in it's direct path to our southeast.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Bruce5 said:
It is aimed one hour north of our home in Palm County.
We are prepared and hunkered down.
I love using this smiley:
:fu Frances :fu
Holy smokes!! 1 hour north ! This storm is the size of texas ! at least it has died down some. going to be a labor day weekend you wont soon forget I am afraid to say.

Good luck buddy, prayers are with all you floridians!

joe

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Bruce5 said:
It is aimed one hour north of our home in Palm County.
We are prepared and hunkered down.
I love using this smiley:
:fu Frances :fu
Maybe you should overnight me your cigars for safe keeping. :D This damn thing just keeps turning. Earlier today it looked like it was going to be north of me, now it looks like it's going to come close enough for near hurricane force winds and flooding since it's crawling along so slow. They say it could dump as much as 24 inches of rain in an hour in some places because it's creeping so slow. Give me a call when your out of the woods. Cell phone service might be down, but for some reason text messaging was still working during Charley.

·
-
11,798 Posts
i thought the crops were harvested twice a year, once is in january, the other, i don't remember.

·
MoTheMentor
3,261 Posts
AAlmeter said:
Just curious if anyone had a more educated assessment on the damage caused by Charley to Cuba's crops this year. I know 2002 beat the crap out of them, but couldn't find anything online about Charley. Could be slim pickins next couple years.
From what I know, The seedbeds are prepared & planted in October and then transferred to the fields by late November so that by Dec. 1 all the fields are planted. Harvesting starts in February & continues through March, harvesting a layer of leaves every 1-2 weeks (7 layers total). The fields are then left fallow or planted with something else. I do not think there's a second tobacco planting. The hurricane season lasts all summer & ends in late September. Most of the damage done by previous hurricanes to Tobacco countries have either severlyaffected top soil or damdaged curing barns. Most of the tobacco has already been harvested, & cured and is in storage by the time hurricane season arrives.

·
HOT for HILLARY!!
3,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I knew you'd come through with some good info...thanks Mo

Keep safe all of you Floridians. Makes me glad all I have to deal with is the occasional blizzard. Case of beer and some good smokes and you can sit it out in the comfort of your home. Plus, when all is said and done, a good snowstorm makes for some great scenery.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
AAlmeter said:
I knew you'd come through with some good info...thanks Mo

Keep safe all of you Floridians. Makes me glad all I have to deal with is the occasional blizzard. Case of beer and some good smokes and you can sit it out in the comfort of your home. Plus, when all is said and done, a good snowstorm makes for some great scenery.
No offense, but I'd rather put up with the threat of hurricanes than endure a Buffalo winter. Can't argue about the beauty of a snowy white landscape though. When you guys are shoveling snow and it's -40 with the wind chill factor, I'll be out on the golf course in the sunshine. :D I've been here over 20 years and this is the worst hurricane season yet for Florida. No direct hits on Tampa in over 80 years, guess we were over due.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
mr.c said:
Well its on, how are you guys holding up? Heard 450,000 are without power. Hopefully no one gets hurt.

Joe
Not too bad so far, about 30 mph winds. I think Bruce is getting pounded pretty hard right now (75 mph+). I tried calling him a while back, I think the phone lines are down there. I'm supposed to get 50 -70 sometime between late tonight and tomorrow. That is if this thing ever gets here, it's stationary right now. Had to close all my restaurants down early tonight, hopefully if we have power we'll open late tomorrow sometime. :c

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hopefully Bruce5 is OK on the East Coast.

We held a hurricane party tonight. Friends are here from England (great way to start their holiday), sons back in town after UCF and USF evacuated, with East Coast friends in tow, of course. A full house, to say the least.

Thus, an excellent night to sit on the lanai to enjoy a fine cigar and a glass of single malt. I'll worry about tomorrow, tomorrow.

Good luck to fellow smokers in Florida.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Back from down under: :fu FRANCES :fu

3 days of hell, in Palm Beach county. Winds hit 100 mph and flooding everywhere. Trees and powerlines down everywhere. Some homes closer to the coast are destroyed. Roads near my home are 3 feet under water. Just got electricity and ISP back up. I still have no phone. (Someone call my Mom)
Thank God my wife and I are ok. The house passed the initial damage report.
One Palm tree is laying on our house, our others are down on the ground. We are very fortunate and grateful that we made out Ok.
Would like to hear in from Fredster and Heartpumper.....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts