Cigar Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This puppy, a 6" X 60" whopper of a cigar, was kindly given me by faxnsmoke (name changed to prevent mooching), perhaps to convince me of the virtues of this line and this vitola. But I hardly need convincing-- I have long been a big fan of the Brazilias (in contrast to other CAOs), and this smoke only confirmed it. It was a pure delight.

The appreance was that of all Brazilias: abeautiful, maduro wrapper (with a grayish tint), and the stick is glossy and well constructed. The cigar feels like a rock in the hand; it is an item of great beauty. With a Cuban the firmness would mean poor draw, but this onedrew like a dream. The large ring gauge made it a bit difficult to cut, but I used my bullet punch several times to make a large hole.

Prelight draw was, as expected, free.

This cigar is not a Habano, of course, and doesn't taste like one, but has its own unique flavor and shares all the virtues of a good Habano: strength, complexity, and a long finish. It has a spicy, peppery flavor that is unique in my experience, and perhaps comes partly from that Brazilian wrapper. The large girth meant that it yielded HUGE volumes of smoke, and it was good down to the end (I smoked it for 1 hr 45 min and that was not to the nub), gaining in power as it went.

I am convinced that this is one of the best--if not THE best--reasonably priced non-Habano out there. Were I forced to smoke only MTWOTISOM cigars (mainland to the west of the island south of Miami), it would be Brazilias. I find the rest of the CAO line, including the vaunted eXtremes, one-dimensional and unsatisfying, but these Brazilias are an item apart.

My only quibble with this cigar--and the line--is that they are TOO FAT! I find a 60 ring gauge (nearly an inch in diameter) too big for my mouth. It is of Lewinskyian proportions! But some of my friends love the width. One could smoke as an alternative the Brazilia Sambas, a figurado that is also very fat, but tapers at the head and can be clipped to be more comfortable in the mouth.

A terrific cigar, and much cheaper than some of the other high-end non-Cubans. Give me one of these over an Ashton VSG any day.

Highly recommended!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I really like the Brazillia Line.

I especially like the Samba and the Pirhana, it has a real kick for such a small cigar. I always have been keeping extras in the humidor. They are resonably priced for such a nice cigar.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts