Cigar Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here goes my first review...

As a rule, I smoke smaller cigars. Coronas and Robustos usually. An occasional Toro (my everyday smoke is a Flor de Oliva Toro), but never any bigger than that. I guess I lack the testicular authority to handle those without feeling a little queasy. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I went to the cigar shop with the intention of getting a Padron 2000 maduro and a La Gloria Cubana Wavell. They were out of both. So I picked up an old favorite, the Padron Delicias maduro. I decided to try something new also, and picked up the CAO Brazilia Piranha. Didn't really know what to expect, since I haven't read too much about these, but I did know they were popular. Now I see why.

I got home and took the cello off. Immediately I could tell this was gong to be a good cigar. The smell was fantastic! The wrapper felt really nice, firm and kinda oily. I lit it up and took the first draw. That's a spicy meatball! I've been looking for a good spicy cigar lately, and I think I may have found it. Strong coffee flavors too. If I had a coffee maker, I would have made a pot. Instead I made some hot Earl Grey tea. It really complements the smoke well. Not quite halfway through the cigar, it lost some of the spiciness in exchange for a more earthy flavor, and still that good coffee taste, very characteristic of Nicaraguan tobacco in my experience. I had a slight burn problem about 2.5" left, but purging solved it. Big thick smoke all the way through. Unless something really drastic happens, I'll smoke this to the nub. And I'll definitely buy more.

edit: should have finished the cigar before I posted this! It had a really nice leathery finish. Very tasty!

·
An ass, not a fish
4,476 Posts
Re: CAO Brazilia Piranha

cyclops said:
Ok, here goes my first review...

As a rule, I smoke smaller cigars. Coronas and Robustos usually. An occasional Toro (my everyday smoke is a Flor de Oliva Toro), but never any bigger than that. I guess I lack the testicular authority to handle those without feeling a little queasy. :rolleyes:

edit: should have finished the cigar before I posted this! It had a really nice leathery finish. Very tasty!
Nice review. The Piranha is one of my few NC staples, I LOVE it. The others in that line that I've tried are likewise excellent, but like you I also prefer shorter smokes. :w

·
Registered
2,402 Posts

I agree with you guys, my taste has moved towards short sticks with a nice big ring gauge... I have a box of Sambas and they knock me over every time. I think the Rothschild is a great size. Problem is most of my Humidor is full of Torps, and Toros...

Oh I also agree the Brazilia is one fine Smoke! I hear the Italia is Smoother yet..

·
Registered
69 Posts

I have to side with wouldestous on this one.

I've heard so much good about this stick, so I bought a single about two month back.

Loved the appearance and the draw was perfect.

The first puff was nice, but then it headed south IMHO.

Very little initial taste but it had a very harsh nasty aftertaste. I was planning to sit through it to see if it changed, but I had to give it up after less than an inch. My friend was smoking a Cuban RyJ Tubos 2 (I think. Cheap one) and his reflection after a puff of the Pirahna was that it tasted nothing besides teh harsh endnote.

I don't know if this was a dud or not, but it scared me away from the Brazil line all together.. Still love the maduros though.

·
Registered
949 Posts

You know I have noticed the Brazil line is some time inconsistent.

Some time they are really great and other were downright awfull.

When I am in the mood for a Brazillian wrapper I grab a Carlos Torano Signature. It is really close to the CAO and less expensive.

Oh!!! I have never had a consistency problem with this one. It is smooth and mellow all of the time.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts

I have boxes of Piranha's and Sambas and have tried a couple Impanemas. Maybe it's just me, but the Piranhas seem much spicier than the others, like a mouth full of black pepper. It's a great smoke if I'm in the mood for spicy, but not as complex as the Samba or Impanema. Or maybe it's just the box of Piranhas I have.... I gave a couple of these to friends and I think I've scared them away from the Brazillias. So far, the Impanema is my favorite of the line.

Goat Locker

·
Registered
132 Posts

kamikaiguy- lots of other people have told me that very thing. torano makes the brazilias for cao and iirc the wrapper and perhaps some of the filler is very similar.
not been real wild about the torano sigs, either. although a bud recently gave me one that i thought was pretty good (it had some age on it, i think)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.