Cigar Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Steve Shaw, candidate for Mayor of New York City, will face current Mayor Bloomberg in a primary. As most of you know, New York has a total smoking ban in the city's bars with minor exceptions. Steve Shaw wants to change this.

Shaws Position: "New York's mayor must be a mayor for all of New York's people - smokers included. I will seek a compromise to the smoking ban where approximately 30% of our City's bars will permit smoking, so long as they install City-approved air purification systems. I will reduce the tax on cigarettes, as I want New Yorkers to buy their cigarettes from New York City merchants - not an Indian reservation nor on the black market. I believe in a very limited role of government and, therefore, I will recognize that it is an individual's choice whether or not to smoke, and I will not use government as a mechanism to make this decision for people".

Bloomberg's Record: Instituted a comprehensive smoking ban in our City's bars. Increased taxes on cigarettes 1,775%, from 8 cents to $1.50 per pack. Referred to smokers as "stupid" and "crazy" and treats them as second-class citizens.

Shaws website: http://www.shawformayor.com/about.aspx

Shaw's attitude toward smoking and smokers is refreshing. Any change in New York's smoking ban will no doubt have a positive ripple effect in smoking ban states like California. I personally despise smoking bans and today put my money where my mouth is--I sent campaign contribution to Shaw's election committee even though I live in Colorado.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Raoul in Colorado said:
Shaws Position: "New York's mayor must be a mayor for all of New York's people - smokers included. I will seek a compromise to the smoking ban where approximately 30% of our City's bars will permit smoking, so long as they install City-approved air purification systems. I will reduce the tax on cigarettes, as I want New Yorkers to buy their cigarettes from New York City merchants - not an Indian reservation nor on the black market. I believe in a very limited role of government and, therefore, I will recognize that it is an individual's choice whether or not to smoke, and I will not use government as a mechanism to make this decision for people".

QUOTE]

WOW Somebody that finally speaks for the people, not the tax revenues.

·
Banned
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I may be oversimplifying the situation, but I somewhat view the Shaw campaign against New York City mayor Bloomberg as a watershed test--a test of smokers', First Amendment rights advocates', free choice advocates' willingness to fight against suffocating political correctness and the intrusiveness of the government into citizens' personal lives. As far as I know, Steve Shaw is the only candidate in a major election who has gone out on a limb and has formally advocated a policy respectfully acknowledging smokers and their needs, and supports a change in New York City's dacronian smoking ban to accommodate those needs. If things are ever to change for the better, smokers must make themselves a factor in political constests such as Shaw vs. Bloomberg--Bloomberg hates smokers, Shaw respects smokers and recognizes them as an important part of his constitutency. A good place to start is through supporting Steve Shaw's candidacy for Mayor of New York through contribution$ to his campaign. http://www.shawformayor.com/about.aspx If you hate smoking bans and intrusive government and are willing to fight, its time to $sh*t or get off the pot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.