Cigar Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was travelling through western Manitoba last week. A radio station advertised "all aboriginal content".

An entertainment industry friend advised that Canadian stations were required to play native artists material at least 35% of the time. BTO, Nickelback, Gordon Lightfoot, Neil Young, Alanis Morrisette, the DiFranco family(yes!), etc.

What's the story? Are aboriginal artists any Canadian born person, or Native American Indians? Is the Can Con requirement accurate?

No offensive or racial bias intended, just curious.

·
X Canadian
1,306 Posts
Heartpumper said:
I was travelling through western Manitoba last week. A radio station advertised "all aboriginal content".

An entertainment industry friend advised that Canadian stations were required to play native artists material at least 35% of the time. BTO, Nickelback, Gordon Lightfoot, Neil Young, Alanis Morrisette, the DiFranco family(yes!), etc.

What's the story? Are aboriginal artists any Canadian born person, or Native American Indians? Is the Can Con requirement accurate?

Yes it's true Canadian radio must contain a certain percentage of Canadian born artists.

·
An ass, not a fish
4,476 Posts
Heartpumper said:
All aboriginal content and percentage Canadian artists are two different things. As noted by HP, radio stations have to play a percentage of total play as Canadian music. Thank God for Neil Young and Crazyhorse. The aboriginal content deal I haven't seen before but is just that station's gig, like "All Disco, All the Time, WYUK".

I do like Kashtin, who sing in a Cree dialect, and some of the other native groups I've heard up there.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The music seemed to be mainstream Canadian artists, although there were a few I didn't recognize. Honestly, no DiFranco family tunes. Lots of Nickelback, which I enjoy. Oh yeah, Anne Murray too.

Thanks for responding.

·
Registered
73 Posts
linusvanpelt said:
Is it shameful to admit I had a crush on Anne Murray when I was a teen??
A funny story about our beloved star.

She attended the same university that I did (long before me). She was known as the Aitken Slut (Aitken was the name of one of the residence buildings).

·
X Canadian
1,306 Posts
flipflop said:
You mean you're not already? ;) :r
That kind of response just pisses Canadians off.

I was in Canada last year and having a beer(s) with my Uncle and he asks me "What in gods name does this George Bush think he's doing with the U.N., he's treating the them like they're all from third world sh**holes, please explain his logic".

OK I said, most Americans divide the world up like this, You have the United States and then everything else is a third world sh**hole. Needless to say he wasn't happy and I don't think we had any more beers.

He'll get over it

·
Registered
206 Posts
Not only does radio have Can. content rules so does tv. All Canadian networks must have so much Can. content. It's a divisive issue here , some think it's the only way Can. artists can get a fair shake in their own country.Then the other side who believes that content shouldn't matter if your good you'll make it regardless where you come from.Aboriginals here are considered to be native Canadians or Indians. They have their own programming.As far as the insults go , don't worry were used to it.We understand where it comes from.

·
An ass, not a fish
4,476 Posts
viesturs said:
Not only does radio have Can. content rules so does tv.
Well, at least the Beachcombers, Air Farce, This Hour has 22 Minutes, Trailerpark Boys, SCTV, Kids in the Hall, CodCo, etc make (made) Canadian Content on TV easy to handle. I won't touch Mr. Dressup or the Friendly Giant, of course....

·
X Canadian
1,306 Posts
flipflop said:
But they're so much more interesting and fun when they're pissed off. ;) :r
Flip flop, here's another one. I'm driving through Niagara area with a cousin and we pass Ft. George and he says "Since you went to high school in the states, I bet they neglected to tell you that in 1812 there was a war between Canada and the US and at that fort over there, we kicked your butts". I responded, "that may be....but if we did it again, I'd bet the results wouldn't be the same". :D

Pissed that one off too!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.