Cigar Forums banner

Can anyone school me on home security cameras ?

2K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  TxColt 
#1 ·
Looking to put a few (2-4) cameras outside my house. I see there are tons of different systems and options out there. Just looking for a setup I can do myself and use to keep an eye on things and rely on if there are any problems. Anyone got a good system to recommend ?

#2 ·
Don't know home systems very well, but I'd suggest getting something with IR/low light capability, otherwise anything at night could end up just a black screen. Even if you lined it up with a motion activated light

Reactions: WNYTony
#3 ·
The ring system is pretty good easy set up but kind of costly, my ring doorbell cost $200 and it costs $3/month for the service. Upside is it all internet based storage.
I Installed a Swan system I bought at Costco run some wires do a simple set up good to go. 4 cameras DVR and wires $290 (I think)

If you are up for the work you could buy some cameras on Ali-Baba real cheap and then build your own DVR system from an old computer and off ya go. (about $15/camera depending on how high the resolution is and how good you want the low light to be, ya can go cheaper. Upside here is all you need is power for the cameras. They use a wireless internet connection, so just add them to your home network.)

By the way I have all three of the above so it isn't real hard just takes time, and the recommendations are in order of amount of time and ease of use, but the less time it takes you the more it costs to buy and maintain.
Please let me know if ya need anything else. :)

#4 ·
I use ring products myself. I can vouch for the floodlight cam and doorbell they work great. Not a fan of paying monthly premiums for an alarm system, but this notifies you within 5 seconds of motion that you set the range on. I also have the ring chime that doubles as an extender for wifi. Works great in my office to let me know if someone is there.

-

#5 ·
@Dran @kacey @MyFatherFan

Thanks for the replies and info gentlemen.
I thought the Ring was only a doorbell cam so I'll need to check into that as a possible system now that you say there are other cameras available.
One question I have - why the wireless ? You have to run at least power to the cameras, correct ? And I assume a network cable also would push enough power to run the camera so why not just run the network cable ?
I ask as I have no ready power source and I don't know that the wireless signal from my router would have the range. It's located upstairs rear in this old house and from there to front lower is spotty at best.

#14 ·
@Dran @kacey @MyFatherFan

Thanks for the replies and info gentlemen.
I thought the Ring was only a doorbell cam so I'll need to check into that as a possible system now that you say there are other cameras available.
One question I have - why the wireless ? You have to run at least power to the cameras, correct ? And I assume a network cable also would push enough power to run the camera so why not just run the network cable ?
I ask as I have no ready power source and I don't know that the wireless signal from my router would have the range. It's located upstairs rear in this old house and from there to front lower is spotty at best.
Ring is pure battery, so no power no wires at all.
Wireless IP means you can pull power from any exterior outlet, thus no new holes in the shell.

#6 ·
I use SV3C POE cams. off of amazon. I had to buy the cams, a POE router and hard wire the cams. POE = Power Over Ethernet, my network cable provides the camera with power. These are thru their router to my Netgear ORBI WiFi system. By going hardwired, i dont have to worry about bandwidth or poor WiFi. I use a very old laptop and ISpy, which is free, to monitor the cams at home. Away from home I use the cameras software.

For 4 cameras, the router and wire (cat 6 outdoor, direct burial 1000'), I have around $250.00 invested. Throw in the Netgear ORBI from Costco (right now) add another 299.00. I have a half acre, including a large shop and several out buildings. I can get 150M over WiFi anywhere I go.

I already had the ethernet termination tools and a tester, both of which are critical.

#9 ·
Thanks - this almost sounds like something I could handle. I was thinking I could run wires to, as you put it, their router and locate it in my basement. And then run one cable up to my internet router and go wired over the whole thing.

The ORBI is that good ? I'm on Spectrum as my internet provider and shut off their wireless and use a UNIFI disk mounted on the wall. That got me whole house signal but it's weak at the farthest points. We only use it for the phones so it's not a big deal but I don't want to trust it to cameras and have problems later. If I have to run wire for power anyways I think this POE may be the best solution and just go wired all the way thru.
@MyFatherFan - I'll take a look at the Ring as well but that sounds like I'd had to run power wire and then still have connectivity issues. But definitely worth a look.

Thanks for all the help guys - really appreciate it.

#8 ·
I went wireless since there is no ethernet ports with ring, they only work over wireless. Doorbell cam is a battery pack, floodlight is hardwired for power only. We have around 17 devices that run over wireless so my network equipment I've pooled some cash into as well as bandwidth from the ISP.

The Netgear R7000 is pretty solid for both signal strength and bandwidth throughput. Only had a minor issue getting gigabit speeds through it due to firmware. I do have it centralized in my house, but it covers the 10,000 sq. ft lot I'm on with 1-2 bars at the edges.

-

#10 ·
Orbi is that good. 1 hub 2 satellites. 1 Wifi network, 1 set of credentials for my entire property. Orbi is tri band.
2.4 gig
5.0 gig
And a 5.0 gig band that is exclusively used for back haul
You can use the 5g backhaul or wire the satellites. I have one wired and one wireless out in my shop. For 299 at Costco it cant be beat. And if you don’t like it... their return policy is awesome.

I did have to set up static IP addresses for my cams to use them with iSpy.

I’m not technically challenged in anyway, but I’m not a techy-nerd either..

My set up, simply requires good google-fu skills and some patience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#12 ·
#13 ·
Ive been uaing the Arlo system. It is wireless and no monthly cost for up to 5 cameras. Battery life is pretty good, and we have a USB wired pro one in living room for indoor security. Plus always nice to torment dogs using audio when we are gone.. Lol

Pick ours up a couple years ago and going strong.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

#16 ·
Not at this time of the year. BRRR
But maybe in the Spring, the wife's mother lives in Rochester NY where the wife did part of her growing up. So I could make it a two fer, the wife and I can visit her mother then I can swing out and visit you.

#19 ·
I think I'm going to go with the Ring once it gets warm enough to install it. My kid has it and was showing me the app and it looks easy enough for me to do it and a couple of you recommend it.

#26 ·
I had to dig this thread up.

My wife has bouts of insomnia, a few weeks ago she was up all night reading and got up to get a drink at 0430 and saw some guy standing at the backdoor. They stared at each other in shock for a few seconds and he took off.
About 3 nights ago someone was trying to open the backdoor in the middle of the night.
And yesterday afternoon/early evening a strange truck went through the neighborhood 4 or 5 times, now this one *could* have been completely innocent but she called the local PD and asked them to come out and also asked them to increase patrols. Dispatch indicated someone else had called about the truck too.

She has her carry permit and if someone breaks in they'll leave with a severe case of lead poisoning or in a body bag.

But reading the posts, the ring system is best for the technically challenged with little to no wiring, or did I miss something?

Sent from somewhere on the road.

#27 ·
My security system is 2 fold.....a loud dog ( partial pit bull mix ) and a S/W model 19. I use 6 older Android cell phones places strategically around the house ( inside and out ) with a FREE Application that monitors 24/7 when we are out of the house. When we are home at night the new pooch has a growl that will get your attention......we have a MB upstairs and she can hear a fly fart plus we have perimeter lighting that goes on if there is any movement at all....sensitivity that I set at 30 feet...if one goes on...all 8 of them go on at the same time...it's like a prison yard.

#28 ·
I put an eight camera system in at my place. I am on the road constantly and the girls are home to fend for themselves. There is no way in without the cameras seeing you. Mine are all hardwired in. It was no fun running the wiring but it was a one time deal. I also have lights that are always on at half brightness but go to full brightness when they sense motion. The last line of defense when I am gone is a lab/boxer/great dane mix with a serious attitude problem. Think, jet black, 125 pounds of muscle, with jaws that will easily fit around your thigh combined with a huge desire to put them there.

The cameras and lights are there for one reason. I read an article written by a guy in prison for burglary. He said when he was shopping for a target, he looked for a house with no lights on outside or inside. That was his safest bet for the night. I basically have set up my house so that a criminal will take one look and immediately head next door. The neighbors are pretty much screwed but so far my system is working.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.