Cigar Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Call me crazy but after a much anticipated wait to try a Monte #2 I was a bit dissapointed. Not that it was bad but I was expecting much more than I got. Perhaps to much hipe left to big of a expectation. I posted earlier about trying a Monte #4 and I loved it, but the #2 just didn't do it for me. Maybe its just my taste or maybe I bought a bad cigar? I should clarify a bit. Everything seamed perfect except the taste. I seem to have enjoyed many more less expensive cigars.

Not for everyone I guess.

:s

·
Registered
107 Posts
I like the Montecristo #2 but I rarely smoke them. With my limited budget I have to pick and choose and this one just does not make the grade.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I am not a Monte Man, but I do want to encourage you not to give up yet. Was the wrapper light or was it dark? How old was the stick?

Ask around...perhaps you can trade for a nice old dark Monte which may well bring you back into the fold.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
one thing about mc2s is they need time... lots of it. it takes about 2 yrs for them just to be worthwhile to smoke. do you know the age of the one you tried? mc2s are great... if you wait ;)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Monte #2

I don't know how old it was, but it appeared in good condition and the wrapper was dark. The only thing that worries me is I bought it at a store in Vancouver that I had never gone to before and it was $27 as apposed to $35 like most stores up here. I still have about half of it, maybe I should take a picture and post it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Frankly, I've never liked the Monte #2 either, despite its terrific reputation. I've smoked at least 15 or so, most of them aged, and while they have varied in quality, I've never had one as good as some of the other Montes, like the Especiale and the #4. Frequently the #2s seem to contain "nasty bits", where the cigar suddenly becomes acrid and foul-tasting.

I don't understand why some people love these and others don't. This divergence of opinion seems almost unique to this cigar. Maybe there's a gene for liking them. . . . . .

·
Registered
212 Posts
i still have a bunch of monte 2, bbf,upmann 2 , and some other big honker cigars........i dont know why but i dont enjoy them half as much as my pc's and coronas.....i stopped buying these larger vitolas as there more money and frankly i dont enjoy them as much, id rather by 2 or 3 boxes of bolivar pc then a box of bbf anyday.:confused:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts