Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the time I found this site I didn't go to CA forums much so often anymore though, yesterday I dropped by there and found a big change. I guess most of you know that their Cuban board was ruled by a small number of hardcore guys. They were extremely knowledgeable and provided great information and assistance to others if the approach was right. However, if the approach was not right, and in most cases the approach was not right, many newbies or innocent posters were flamed up in extremely harsh way. Very harsh and persistent, sickning way. All the time. Maybe half of their threads were flaming up someone. That was the reason I decided to find other sites and moved here. Some of you guys might have had the same reason. They said they were doing it to protect the board from trolls, and it may be true though, I guess many people were sick of it and left the site.

So, their moderator finally decided to bann most of those hardcore guys. He clearly declared that they were the problem at his site. His site is open for public and not a private club of the small group of the people. It seems it happend sometime in the end of the year.

And now, a big discussion is going there if the act by the moderator was correct or not. I personally think he did the right thing, but I wouldn't post my opinion there because I don't want to be flamed up by the friends of the banned guys. And I don't care whatever they are discussing because I found this Jungle and am quite happy with it.

I'm no expert in any means nor a very new to cigars. I have only a limited experience and knowledge but still have my own opinion. My opinion may be a laughter for the true experts though, still I want to express my opinion and listen to other people and learn from them. In civil way.

It seems like CA Cuban board forgot about talking about cigars. I would stay here and just wish here wouldn't be like there.

I am very sorry if this post was inappropriate for this board.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Great take on a messy situation. This is in my opinion all about courtesy and not cigars. When courtesy is lacking it all all falls apart.

·
Registered
585 Posts
i think CA is the first stop for many people on the internet when they want to learn/post/etc about cigars, mainly due to it's high visibility from the magazine. Granted, the level of flaming there is heavy, but alot was avoidable. New users would post the following questions

1. hi, i am new can you refer me to a vendor that sells qban cigars on the net
2. are these cigars i got fake?
3. is www.blablabla.com a good source?

if these people did a lil research on the forum, they wouldn't ask these questions, cause they would see the reactions. In most forums you can get answers by just searching since most questions are repetitive. Lately CA has had nothing more then childish posts about nonsense, votes, rants, etc. I say "get a life", it's only a forum and there's plenty out there that are more inviting, informative and beneficial.

The moderators are doing what they think is in the site's best interests, also in the public image of CA, which we all know is ALL about image and not substance(just read their cigar ratings:rolleyes: )

in summation of my lil rant, find a forum that fits you, kinda like a t-shirt. don't fuss if it's not your size, grab another one.

-DC

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your posts and also for the private messages I received. I agree with you guys and wish this place would keep the same good shape!

·
Registered
107 Posts
I read the CA board from time to time. It seems that a few people with a ton of posts think they have the right to make up rules, forgetting that they don't own the forum. If they stopped harassing new people and just talked cigars, it would be a much better place.

·
Registered
283 Posts
DaveC said:
...kinda like a t-shirt. don't fuss if it's not your size, grab another one.

-DC
That's what I usually did but after I was slapped a few times I find it works better to ask the lady out first...

·
Registered
106 Posts
When I made the decision to become more informed about cigars, the CA forum was the first board I came across due to the popularity of the magazine. There seemed to be a vast amount of experience and knowledge there but the constant drama was enough to turn me away in search of a more friendly atmosphere. I still lurk there occassionally but I doubt I would actually post in those forums. There seems to be entirely too much formallity and elitist attitude there.

To each his own I guess.

·
-
11,412 Posts
cyclist hit the nail on the head. they do/did have a ton of info, and great guys, but if you didn't go by the "unwritten" rules, you could get ran outta there. i got lucky, didn't have any personal run ins with anyone, but i didn't like how some people felt it was their job to be jerks to people instead of trying to correct them nicely.

·
Registered
718 Posts
seagarsmoker said:
IMHO, we have many 'hardcore' habanos smokers here and doubt anyone would ever get flamed for asking a question.
The ClubStogie no-snob policy is the most important reason that this is the only web site I spend any real time on. Sure, newbies could do some research, find some FAQs, and so on. Most often, it is just as quick to just answer the question as it is to rant and rave and flame.

·
still puffin
1,001 Posts
it was the first cigar site i found on the internet('98 i yhink)so i will always check in from time to time...answer the weekly poll check the cigar of the week etc but dont post much.

one of the canadian guys started our own BB about 2 months ago...it is not strictly canadian but we all seem to have ended up there.

according to paul that is how club stogie got started also.

seems cA BB's get to a critical mass...implode...start a few friendlier BB's...and then begin again.

just my opinion(please dont flame me)

derrek :)

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
i got started on ICG precisely for the flaming ... some guy called captain caveman was harassing this guy called kdm who later bacame the full monte. i tuned in every day just to read the threads of these two guys... it was hilarious and highly entertaining- back and forth relentless flaming. it was thru this process that i realized there were some great people on ICG and i started posting. so, flaming can be a good thing ... but i don't think you a$$holes would understand. :D

·
Registered
130 Posts
I guess this thread got the best of me... I had to go check out this CA site... I'm sure glad I found this forum first... If I would have gone to the CA site first I would have thought all cigar smokers were not the people I would like to fellowship with... Everyone that post here is treated like people should be treated with respect.... My mom always told us to treat others as you expect to be treated :sb Proud to be a Lowland Gorilla Bman

·
Registered
76 Posts
The problems with crappy attitudes is not limited to the cuban board at CA. It has infiltrated all the CA boards. I left there not cus I was flamed. I left because of how others were flamed by a handful of posters

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
This is such a cozy jungle and the expanse seems to go on forever!

Why would I want to go anywhere else?!

MoTheMan

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hmm...now ain't this a crock of shi*t! I registered with the CA forum the same day I registered here - about two weeks ago. I have logged into that forum on multiple occassions to lurk but have never posted there. This evening I came home from work to find an email from CA which contained the following message:

Cigar Aficionado Forums Membership Information
Dear one90proof,

We're sorry, but your application for membership with this site was declined.

WHAT!?!?! Not that I really care about that site but what in the world is this? I tried logging in to their forums tonight but my account no longer exists....oh well, If I am not good enough for their forums then I guess I am also not good enough to spend money on their magazine. Their loss....

Just for fun I replied to their email asking why I was denied. I wonder if I get a response. Anyone else had this happen?

·
-
11,412 Posts
due to the massive changes, they JUST posted this afternoon that they'll no longer accept new people with a "free web based email account", you have to use a home/service provider email account.

that's my guess.

you're better off right here. may not get as much traffic, but you're getting the info you ask for, right?

·
Registered
258 Posts
one90proof said:
Hmm...now ain't this a crock of shi*t! I registered with the CA
Dear one90proof, We're sorry, but your application for membership with this site was declined.
:D Well, that just about sums it up now don't it?:r Makes you wonder if that would have happened if you signed up as George W. Bush, Washington DC:u ;)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.