Cigar Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got the August issue. Sharon Stone on the cover...enough said! Interesting ratings , CAO mx2 toro 88? I guess I'll have to try it again. One of my every day favorites Maria Mancini De Gaulle got an 87 and La Finca valentino got an 88, didn't they used to call them La Stinka? :)

Ed

Attachments

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I like those Maria Mancini cigars! Magic Mountain is a favorite of mine, but I enjoy the Clemenceau also.

:cool:

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Be careful about the reviews in that Mag........I don't much care for it. There reviews aren't worth the paper they're printed on IMHO. Most of the time NC are ranked well above Cubans and then they show the price of a Cuban cigar in pounds against the US dollar for NCs. Yes I know that you can't get Cubans here, but if your going to write reviews on ALL cigars, then you should use the same pricing guidelines as well. It is really quite simple...show all the cigars in pounds. That way people can see that a Ashton VSG is just as expensive....if not more so then a PSD4 or BRC.....but thats just me.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
coppertop said:
Be careful about the reviews in that Mag........I don't much care for it. There reviews aren't worth the paper they're printed on IMHO. Most of the time NC are ranked well above Cubans and then they show the price of a Cuban cigar in pounds against the US dollar for NCs. Yes I know that you can't get Cubans here, but if your going to write reviews on ALL cigars, then you should use the same pricing guidelines as well. It is really quite simple...show all the cigars in pounds. That way people can see that a Ashton VSG is just as expensive....if not more so then a PSD4 or BRC.....but thats just me.
I'm not defending the mag but they explained in the last issue that Cuban cigar ratings suffered due to the cuban goverment favoring mass production over quality. They say that cubans are making a comeback and I think the latest reviews might reflect that with a lot of Cuban cigars getting 90+ ratings. Anyways, I don't take ratings too seriously, most of the cigars featured are cuban(wich I can't get legally;-)) or too %$#@*&^ expensive! :u
Ed

Attachments

·
-
11,412 Posts
SFCEd said:
most of the cigars featured are cuban(wich I can't get legally;-)) or too %$#@*&^ expensive! :u
Ed
see, that's what you're being led to believe, thanks to CA and their advertisers, which is how CA is making money.

i just did my final speech on cuban cigar brand (and some sizes) history, and the myth that cuban cigars are more expensive than non-cubans.

like coppertop stated, you take that ashton VSG, buy it in canada or england, and it's more expensive than the majority of cubans out there (except anything called cohiba).

example, in the last issue, they have the cohiba esplindido at 27 pounds, which = $50.
but if you were to buy a box from a good vendor, the price per stick is only $19/each.
i know, bad idea to use a cohiba because they ARE overpriced.

so, take a gander at the PC sized cigars and who got the top rating. SC El Principe, which they have at $12+, but if you buy a box OUTSIDE england, it breaks down to under $5/each.
compare that to (in the same category):
avo signature = $7.40
davidoff millinium blend = $8.50
partagas limited reserve = 11.75

hell, you can buy robusto sized cubans for cheaper than those 3 petit corona sized non-cubans.

and their ratings suck.

lastly, there are maybe 4 cuban cigars per size rated, when they do 14 per category, so most are NOT cuban cigars they rate (also because there are so many fewer sizes/brands than non-cubans).

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
SFCEd said:
I'm not defending the mag but they explained in the last issue that Cuban cigar ratings suffered due to the cuban goverment favoring mass production over quality. They say that cubans are making a comeback and I think the latest reviews might reflect that with a lot of Cuban cigars getting 90+ ratings. Anyways, I don't take ratings too seriously, most of the cigars featured are cuban(wich I can't get legally;-)) or too %$#@*&^ expensive! :u
Ed
Frankly, I think the ISOMs are very good, and if there is a drop in quality, I haven't noticed. Maybe I'm just not a particularly good judge, but I know what I like!

:)

·
Anhedonic misanthrope
222 Posts
All this talk about cigar ratings. I never got past the Mandalay Bay ad.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Hey Wacco.........welcome to Club Stogie.

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
Wacco said:
All this talk about cigar ratings. I never got past the Mandalay Bay ad.
Welcome to CS Wacco. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.