Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Do you generally buy a box of particular smokes solely on reviews? Or do you make it a habit of trying before you buy? Thoughts?
I've done both and been happy. Especially for older vintage cigars, it's sometimes difficult to try them before purchasing them. However, for more common vintages, obviously I try them before buying. Unfortunately, we can't just go down to the local B&M and pick up a few Cuban sticks, you know?!

·
Misplaced
6,385 Posts
I absolutely won't buy unless I know what I'm buying from taste...:)

·
VIEJO CABRÓN
2,521 Posts
Do you generally buy a box of particular smokes solely on reviews? Or do you make it a habit of trying before you buy? Thoughts?
I do it both ways. If it's a brand I like and the reviewer is someone I respect, I sometimes pull the trigger blind.

I've never been disappointed.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I've never bought a box of anything I haven't first tried. It's possible that I might, but I just never have. Generally I don't buy boxes at all as I seldom smoke two of the same cigars in a month. That said, after starting down the dark side of the slope, I've now gotten very interested in putting a number of select boxes away for some longer-term aging, so my buying habits will probably change.

-Ken

·
Registered
695 Posts
I buy based on reviews almost exclusively. Sometimes I'm not terribly thrilled, but most of the time, they're awesome :ss

I figure the ones that arent superb just need some time to rest in the humi.

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
I buy based on what other people tell me, like "if I like cigar A, then what other cigar should I try?" Michelle actually helped me on my most recent purchase ;)

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Ive done and do both. I try to read as many reviews as I can, try to do a trade for said cigar and talk to a couple BOTLs that usually share the same tastes as I do.
:tpd:

I have never smoked a Habano that I didnt like. And to answer your question, yes I have bought a box without trying them. I bought a box of 05 H. Upmanns Coronas last year, without ever trying one. Glad I did there filled with lots of spice. I like that, go figure with a name like mine..

*Kenny isnt it past your bed time??* :tg ;) LOL

·
Elder Jungle Leader
4,989 Posts
I absolutely won't buy unless I know what I'm buying from taste...:)
:tpd: Not too free with the cash unless I have tried it and liked it. :ss

·
Registered
318 Posts
i usually just buy a box if i want to regardless of whether i have smoked one of the cigars or not. usually something will just peak my interest because of what i've read and i'll just budget enough to get a whole box.

bruce

·
Registered
21,652 Posts
I buy what I want.

Sometimes I have tried them and sometimes not. The ones I usually buy are from a marca I smoke and I have never had a problem with this.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
The only way to really know what you like is trial and error. If I don't like something I'll give it some humi time. Sometimes months, sometimes years. If it's still something I don't like I sell it or trade it.:D

·
Registered
11,175 Posts
My buying habits may seem to have no rhyme or reason (It drives me batty) but, sometimes, I have tried enough of them to know beforehand or off of a friend's recommendation or because the "deal" is hard to pass up or because they are either hard to get or going to be or I wanted a long term aging project...Like some have already said, there always is a good home for a cigar, even if it is not yours.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I saw a recent post about how cute the Monte PE box was so I went ahead and bought a box of 10 and found the cigars to be tasty and had a real nice ash or ass, I can't remember.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts