Cigar Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I burned a nice little LGC Hermoso the other day. As I smoked it I noticed that the ring of charred tobacco just before it joins the ash was particularly thin.

Is there a term for this charred tobacco?

I believe I heard somewhere that when this feature is present in a cigar's burn it's a good thing but I can't remember why. Is it a function of age, fermentation, humidity?

Thanks folks.
Eichen

·
Registered
66 Posts
I don't know the terminology for the ring of charred tobacco though, I 100% agree that LGC Hermoso is a nice little cigar. Was it a Natural or Maduro?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was a natural. I'm a fan of Ecuador wrappers. To me they seem to suit LGCs pretty well.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hermoso Natural was the first LGC I fell in love with. It's by far the best NC in the category or the class, for me at least. Then, Wavells, Minutos, Serie Rs, Naturals, Maduros, I love all those 5" or shorter LGC's. They are simply "Tasty"!!!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cyclist -- So what are the minutos like compared to the Hermosos? I've been thinking about making the plunge on a box but haven't worked up the gumption. I've had people tell me the large format and big ring LGCs are the best, trying to steer me away from the narrow rings, but I've heard a lot of good stuff about the minutos. What's your take?

Anyone got any more info on the charred tobacco question?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Eichen, Minutos could be the best LGC

It depends on your preference of course. Larger ring LGCs tend to draw a bit loose and airy. It means it creates a lot of smoke and many people love it. On the other hand, it does not create a buttery smooth feeling. Minutos draw just right for me. Not airy, not too tight. It draws smooth and cushy. In that sense I prefer Minutos to Hermosos. Also, Minotos are surprisingly slow burner. It lasts well over 30 minutos. And they have the same great LGC flavor as their big bros, either Maduro or Natural. Sometimes I feel Minutos flavor is more pronounced and concentrated. I always keep a box or two each of Maduro and Natural. They are the least expensive LGC, and it's a good thing. But I'm not smoking them because they are less expensive. I smoke them because they smoke so well. Just like some smokers love Partagas Shorts over the larger Cubans. So, just go ahead to buy a box. You wouldn't be disappointed and it isn't a huge investment anyway.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Man, nice description! Got a feeling LGC minutos are in my future.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm feeling persistent ... Anyone got the answer about the ring of charred tobacco?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's a good one, Poker:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts