Cigar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope everybody had a good new year! I haven't been on the forum for a while. if i wasn't asleep, eating or at work, i was working on this dang gun. i put about 240 hours into it in a 4 week span. it's my first build and for a punk kid i think its pretty good. haha. accuracy is a little more than 1.5"@ 50 yards!! i couldn't be happier!!

· Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all.

Well done...which Caspian receiver is that? Grips look great.
It is the basic. I did the checkering on it with checkering file. I was scared to ruin it so i did that first.:laugh:
The grips i got on ebay for 10 bucks! then put some finish on it.

· Registered
154 Posts
Very nice job. The 1911 is the one that's been eluding me for a while now as I've been looking for an original Colt & at this time can't justify spending at least $2500 for one, found a few on gunbroker.com & that's the cheapest I've seen them. I'm thinking of FINALLY breaking down & leaning towards a Springfield & getting their version & going with the "G.I. Edition" because for me I want that "old, orginal" style look. Yours looks sharp man, no doubt about that.

· Registered
535 Posts
Very nice job. The 1911 is the one that's been eluding me for a while now as I've been looking for an original Colt & at this time can't justify spending at least $2500 for one, found a few on gunbroker.com & that's the cheapest I've seen them. I'm thinking of FINALLY breaking down & leaning towards a Springfield & getting their version & going with the "G.I. Edition" because for me I want that "old, orginal" style look. Yours looks sharp man, no doubt about that.
GI is a good gun. I vouch for it personally and if you are going for a true "trench gun" feel, you can't go wrong, but if you are planning on making improvements then I would recommend building it from the ground up.

· Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
GI is a good gun. I vouch for it personally and if you are going for a true "trench gun" feel, you can't go wrong, but if you are planning on making improvements then I would recommend building it from the ground up.
Yes GI is good. If you want to go even cheeeaper in price you can get a RIA (rock island armory) for in the three-hundred-some price range. I'm actually planning on doing that this week, and possibly building it up.

· Registered
535 Posts
Yes GI is good. If you want to go even cheeeaper in price you can get a RIA (rock island armory) for in the three-hundred-some price range. I'm actually planning on doing that this week, and possibly building it up.
I totally agree about RIA if you are looking for an inexpensive price point but there is definitely a difference in feel between the two. As for performance, I have heard nothing but good things about RIA. I look at it like this, if you want a GI style gun and want to make no upgrades, get the Springfield. If you want to tear it down and build it back up, get the RIA and use the bones.

· Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
^^Its got a Kart precision barrel, ed brown bushing, C&S sear and hammer, STI trigger, caspian full length guide rod, Wilson beavertail, STI ambi safety, ed brown slide stop... to name a few.

· Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dirletra, could you rough out the process you went through on this. Any machining/milling work you did yourself, or did you just need to fit the parts together? I'm bored with AR building.
Well i unfortunately don't have any milling machines or any jigs. This is why it took me so long. I used a couple files and stones mostly. Luckily i have a very powerful microscope for the really precise stuff (trigger job). I did the front strap checkering first (30 lpi file). Next the slide doesn't fit on the frame so i had to slowly file the frame rails until it began to fit. Once it is snug i put JB Bore compound (gritty like toothpast) in the rail slots and kept working it back and forth until it was nice and smooth (and tight). Next came the barrel (the heart of the gun) which didn't fit into the slide. I went through about 3 candles! You put soot on the parts, put them together, and file where the contact marks are so they will fit. All of this is done with the most miniscule of tolerances (using a digital micrometer).
Here's an example: i needed to raise the barrel into the slide so i had to file where it was contacting on top.

There's precise geometry in everything in this thing. Here's the hammer cocked on the sear (through microscope).

Everything else inside and out is pretty much the same. Get all the parts to actually fit with hardly any room to spare, while still functioning. Since it was my first i was shocked at how much trully went into this. About 200 hours worth of the build was spent filing. Amazing engineering.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.