Cigar Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
are bugs/eggs in dominican tobacco a possible problem too? or is that exclusive to cuban leaf?
thanx
jimmy

·
Registered
30 Posts
Cigar beetles can be found in any cigars no matter where they are made. The origin of the tobacco doesn't matter, it's all relative to the humidity/temperature and whether the location you store your cigars are conducive to the hatching and growth of the dreaded bug.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
how about a box from 1998 that is recently obtained? i think i remeber that the eggs only have a very short life span. so i would assume that anything older than a year is safe from eggs/bugs and not in need of freezing?
any input greatly appreciated.
thanx in advance
jimmy

·
Registered
30 Posts
The life span is irrelevent if they are already infested, because an infestation means that eggs have been laid, more eggs mean more bugs mean more eggs. The year doesn't matter if there were eggs being hatched in a cigar or two from the batch of the box. I wouldn't worry about freezing though. Just inspect each cigar from every box, I mean you do that anyway I'm sure. If I were you I'd carefully look for pinholes and other obvious signs. Also these bugs are likely to fly out of the box when you first open it, another thread discusses how they're easily spotted sometimes because of the simple fact that they fly out of cigar boxes and other small areas like desktop humidors. I'm rambling I know, I'm just saying I never freeze my cigars, I just look for obvious signs and then store them on their own for a few days until I introduce them into my main stash just to avoid a major outbreak. Hope this helps, but it probably doesn't....sorry

·
Registered
76 Posts
:u :u The only time I freeze is if I think my shipment might have gotten too hot, for example if UPS leaves the thing on my front porch on one of these blistering Georgia days.

:u

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
BUGS

Jimmy!

Bugs are bugs, and what they do to our cigars is disgusting!!!

Check out my long tirade in another string:

http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2898&perpage=15&pagenumber=2

Let me tell you, these bugs love all tobacco, no prejudice there, and the worst infestation I ever saw was in a box of R&J Cedro Deluxe No.1 (Dominican), wha a F - - - ing mess.

BAD NEWS: Just found a few drilled cigars in a box of Dominican H. Upmann After Dinner (their "churchill" size but in a cedar wrap) with a couple of live crawling bugs in it. SHIT, they are so pesky -- looks like I'll be calling the exterminator in for some work. I'll post a picture as soon as I get my digital camera working right.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wow mo, sorry to hear about yet another misfortune. i guess when you keep 10 billion cigars in a "roomador" there will be problems bigger than in a "normal" persons collection, whatever "normal" is :D

jimmy

·
Registered
116 Posts
Re: BUGS

MoTheMan said:

BAD NEWS: Just found a few drilled cigars in a box of Dominican H. Upmann After Dinner (their "churchill" size but in a cedar wrap) with a couple of live crawling bugs in it. SHIT, they are so pesky -- looks like I'll be calling the exterminator in for some work. I'll post a picture as soon as I get my digital camera working right.
Sorry to hear the news Mo, those little f'in bugs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts