Cigar Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a "friend" who is going to Las Vegas. He wants to bring some of his "not 100% legal" cigars with him, along with a lighter and cutter. He is worried, though, because of the high level of security at the airports. He fears that if they search his bags they will find and confiscate the cigars and take his lighter and cutter. It seems the simple answer for the cigars is to bring them unbanded, though I've heard from a very unreliable source that cigars can be confiscated if they are even suspected of being Cuban and I would think cigars without bands would raise at least a few flags. I, er, "he" has no idea what to do about the cutter and lighter. Any thoughts?

G

·
1. Do not take the lighter. Some get seized, even out of checked luggage, and I guarantee you it will be an expensive lighter that is seized.

2. Pack the cutter in your checked-in luggage.

3. Take your cigars on board with you and don't be hyper.

4A

·
-
11,412 Posts
uh... is he flying in from outside the USA?

then why the worry about the cigars on the plane? customs is not the ones checking your bags at the security checkpoint, most of those guys aren't trained at doing much of anything, especially not a good job.

the ONLY thing that's happened to me is the 1 time they opened up my travel humi just to look at the cutters inside of it. then one of them even asked how much a case like that costs, cuz her husband smokes cigars... they didn't give a rip about WHAT the cigars were, they're not customs, and most likely, don't have the first clue what to look for, and even then, if they did, and found some, THEY AREN'T CUSTOMS.

pack the cigars like normal, don't worry about 'em.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
cigars: no problem (I fly there almost every month)

lighter: possible problem (never had a problem & bring mine every time (ST Dupont dual flame, but no torch), but I hear some folks get theirs taken.

cutter: no problem (according to TSA website & I never had a problem)

You can print the PDF File here and take it with you. Hard to dispute a cigar cutter that their OWN website says is ok to take...

TSA Allowed & Prohibited Items

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't bring any cutter unless you don't mind losing it. I've lost a cheap Havana cutter because the guy said I can take it apart and use the blade. With cigars, I always used solid plastic traveldors and pack them in carry on bags with not a single metal item within the bag. They always scan right through.

BTW, I have been searched at the checkin counter since I look like such a terrorist; or it was probably because I had a big bag and a one way ticket. The lady picked up both a metal torch and Havana cutter. Luckily, I guess she didn't have any idea what they were. LOL My point is, it could go either way. I would rather not deal with any hassle at all. I don't have to have my fancy cutters and Dupont lighter to show off when I'm out of town.
:D

·
-
11,412 Posts
i've never had a lighter or cutter taken... i put them in my checked bags... well, i put the cutter in my travel humi anyway... i carry on my cheapo Firebird torch, and they have yet to take it ANYWHERE.

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
Yeah, same here. Check it in the baggage & not worry about it. BUT, seeing as how I fly out of Baltimore, my checked luggage almost always get opened and inspected.

MoTheMan

·
-
11,412 Posts
i guess flying out of a non-international airport like KC is a bit beneficial...

but if you ever do, don't trust them when they say they'll lock your bags for you.. they've never done it. i'm a jackass to them now. they almost broke my laptop once, and then they leave your bags unlocked and un-ziptied, like they say they'd do. not fun when you land in Korea to see your luggage slightly unzipped...

·
Registered
756 Posts
i travel with all this stuff all the time.
cutter and light i put in my check on. never a problem.
as for cigars, just take the bands off. no worries there.

jimmy

·
Registered
921 Posts
I am with Jimmy. I was in Vegas a couple months back.
1) Packed lighter and cigar cutter in checked bag.
2) Took bands off of cigars.
--------------------------------------
No problem.
I did however meet a guy at the Bellagio who stated they
took 2 lighters out of his checked bag.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts