Cigar Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i"m new here at club stogie. first would like to know how many problems really do exist out in the world of the net. when ordering something u know only from reputation how authentic? second why do we here of so many plugged and falling apart cigars? third do for fact cuban factory box codes come with the whole year stamped on back? feedback is welcomed out of curiousity i had those questions since there is so much happening around balt.

·
-
11,412 Posts
i can't answser all your questions because i've been getting my cigars in person so far. but here in a few days, i hope to be able to answer all of them from personal experience.

1 - your first question doesn't make sense, could you rephrase it. i have no clue what you're asking.
2 - i don't know, i don't hear about plugged or cigars falling apart hardly at all. i have more of a problem with my NON-cubans doing that than the cubans that i have.
3 - of all the boxes i have in my house, they only have the last 2 #'s in the year (03, 99, 01, etc.) stamped on the bottom. don't know if there are some factories that stamp the entire year, but NONE that i can remember looking at, at all the cigar shops i've been to in europe have had the entire year on them.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
cigar mark said:
how many problems really do exist out in the world of the net. when ordering something u know only from reputation how authentic?
Problems exist, like anything else in this imperfect world. Con artists exist everywhere. Authenticity usually is defined by more than one thing. Cigars claiming to be something they are not is usually determined by a combination of factors. The more discrepancies in the price, box, bands, presentation, caps, color uniformity, etc., they higher the possibility of it not being what it was claimed to be. The best defense against counterfit cigars is common sense, educating yourself & experience.

Originally posted by cigar mark
second why do we here of so many plugged and falling apart cigars?
Because the rage is on for "aged or mature" cigars. Many places have an over abundance of cigars from 1999-2000 because...

a) Habanos SA at that time was in a marketing frenzy to manufacture a quota and was more focused on quantity than quality

b) Since the 1999-2000 years were such a crapshoot when buying boxes, many folks avoided those years if at all possible. Back just a few years ago, there were sources that regularly stocked boxes from 1996-1997, but today they are all pretty much bought up. Those were considered "aged" at that time, and now the 1999-2000 boxes are considered "aged".

Originally posted by cigar mark
third do for fact cuban factory box codes come with the whole year stamped on back?
Possibly but usually its just 2 digits.
ie: JUN02, DIC03

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
Poker is THE encyclopedia.
A most knowledgeable source.

·
Registered
410 Posts
True statement except for the times when Cashcow is in the house.
He is my encyclopedia for cigar matters, no its not a suck up either just a fact.
hbooker

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Guys,
But poker u said just what i thought you would. You said all of yours and most boxes have just 02 03 99 20 01 but you also said possibly, Is ther a possibility that the whole year can be placed. Can i get a definite, or just is it that again we go on what we seen or think. Would truly like some clarity.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Its also possible that Trinidads came in cigar boxes that looked identical to 12 pack Cinnamon Pop Tart boxes but I doubt it.:D

Seriously though...
Brief inspection of my more recent 2001-2003 boxes were all 2 digit year stamps. I would question any source that provided me with a box with a 4 digit year on it. But if you run into a 2 digit 1999 code (ie: XXX-99 or XX-99), you got yourself a 100% faker!

I go by what I've seen & experienced. And without bragging, thats accounts for untold hundreds of boxes over the years I've bought & thousands I've seen & held on the shelves in Europe.

·
MoTheMentor
3,075 Posts
True statement except for the times when Cashcow is in the house.
I'll correct myself. There are many knowledgeable encyclpedic herfs around.

Such a rich uplifting environment.:cool:

MoTheMan

1 - 14 of 14 Posts